Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a new amp, and stumbled across the Crate V18-212, I've heard good reviews.
I haven't been able to try it as the guitar shop didn't have it in stock...

(linky - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/82119)

Basically, I'm looking for opinions on the amp, or suggesting for other amps for around £300.
I play old stuff, a lot of Rush, bit of Zep, but also some newer stuff, such as the new Metallica.
I need quite a versatile amp, a good channel for getting a full, crunchy distortion, but also a nice clean channel. I'd also like reverb built in (preferably spring reverb), but that's the only effect I'm bothered about.
Preferably tube amp, although if it's a good solid state, I would go for that too.

Cheers guys. (and girls)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I have a v50. these amps are discontinued and were being liquidated a few months ago. i got mine for 200$ shipping included.

first of all the distortion channel is basically ****. way to much low end. the clean channel is pretty nice i really like it for the price. reverb is alright but theres better options out there.

all in all it needs a speaker upgrade and tube replacement out of the box but they arent necessary.
I like those amps, pretty darn good if ask me. It may have a bit of trouble with metallica. You'll need a boost for that
I had that amp. The cleans were nice, but the gain was very muddy. I found an EQ made the muddiness go away and a boost(OD), will get you metallica tones.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Cheers guys,
I've heard good things about the "Bad Monkey" OD pedal, if I was to get the amp, do you think that would be a good choice of OD?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
The Bad Monkey is good on a budget.

The amp is okay, but here are some things you need to consider:

The amp only has 1 channel - not a clean and drive channel.

The overdrive sound from it has a very spongy response, this is because the speakers are not very good, so it may be wise to invest in new speakers. This is quite important as some demos I've heard of this sound like the drive has a fuzz pedal plugged in at a low level.

In any case, if you want a better amp with similar features, look into the Laney LC15. It's only about £250 and is superior to the Crate in every aspect. Another possible choice could be the Peavey Windsor Studio. It's a decent amp with some cool features, but again, none of these amps have dedicated overdrive channels.
Quote by greggybhoy
The Bad Monkey is good on a budget.

The amp is okay, but here are some things you need to consider:

The amp only has 1 channel - not a clean and drive channel.

The overdrive sound from it has a very spongy response, this is because the speakers are not very good, so it may be wise to invest in new speakers. This is quite important as some demos I've heard of this sound like the drive has a fuzz pedal plugged in at a low level.

In any case, if you want a better amp with similar features, look into the Laney LC15. It's only about £250 and is superior to the Crate in every aspect. Another possible choice could be the Peavey Windsor Studio. It's a decent amp with some cool features, but again, none of these amps have dedicated overdrive channels.

Thank you very much, I'm not worried about the 1 channel thing.
Speakers could be replaced if I needed to, but it's made me go off the amp a bit.
I'm going to go and look at the Laney, I've also heard good things about the Windsor.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Sorry about the bump, but I just remember I saw a 2nd hand "Peavey Classic 30" in the guitar shop, do you think I should try and get one of these 2nd hand instead of something new? I've heard good things about the Classic Series.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Sorry about the bump, but I just remember I saw a 2nd hand "Peavey Classic 30" in the guitar shop, do you think I should try and get one of these 2nd hand instead of something new? I've heard good things about the Classic Series.

Yes, the classic 30 is a great amp, much better then the crate, great price used too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

get it!!! its loads better then the crate trust me. except for metal, but just use a pedal like you would have with the crate anyways.
I love my V18 112. It is modded though. New speaker and mods to the circuitry and transformer. Although, if you have an opportunity to get a Classic 30 or 50, definitely get one. I originally wanted one, but came upon a nice deal on my v18 and got that instead.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by JoePerry4life
Yes, the classic 30 is a great amp, much better then the crate, great price used too.

Matter of opinion, of which you are entitled to. I personally don't like the Classic 30 and would prefer the crate to the peavey. It's a "taste" thing. Both amps appreciate a speaker swap and tube upgrade.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks guys, I'll probably go for the Classic 30, unless when I try out the Crate I love it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!