About a week ago, my thumb got jammed backward while playing rugby. I don't think it was completely dislocated (it didn't hurt that bad), but I do remember hearing a faint pop when I pushed it into the socket, so I guess it came out a little. It's since started feeling better and the swelling has just about disappeared. But I don't think my problems are over. Every once in a while when I'm playing guitar my thumb "snaps backward" and as a natural reaction to the sharp yet extremely temporary jolt of pain my hand jumps off the neck (if it stayed on, there wouldn't be enough pressure to play without my thumb anyway). Also, I can no longer play barre chords because I can't apply enough pressure behind the neck.

What do you think happened? I will be getting it checked out by a doctor, but some good guesses would help to ease my mind for now. Also, what should I do to help it stop doing this (besides the obvious "see a doctor")? And do you think it will ever be 100% normal again?
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
search on google or something, this isnt www.Ultimate-MedicalAdvice.com

Already did, decided to see if UG has anyone that's experienced something similar that could explain to me what might be going on with my thumb. Google can't give advice in a conversation.

And I wasn't sure whether to put this here or the Pit, but I figured I'd get more straightforward answers here.
Something similar happened to my friend. Stop playing immediatly, or you might cause more damage. Just wait for the verdict from your doctor and do what he says, or you may seriously injure your hand to the p oint where you can't play guitar anymore.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I can't just stop playing. Music keeps me sane (cliche yet true). I've just been taking it easy with long stretches and reaching over to fret the low E, and I've been avoiding barre chords completely.

My mom already told me that if it doesn't stop happening by Monday she's taking me to get it checked out, so that's good.

EDIT: Also, do you know exactly what was wrong with your friend's thumb?
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by i_don't_know
I can't just stop playing. Music keeps me sane (cliche yet true). I've just been taking it easy with long stretches and reaching over to fret the low E, and I've been avoiding barre chords completely.

My mom already told me that if it doesn't stop happening by Monday she's taking me to get it checked out, so that's good.

EDIT: Also, do you know exactly what was wrong with your friend's thumb?
If you can't stop yourself playing try and avoid it by spending time doing other stuff - learn some theory, write your own songs, do some transcribing... at least until you've seen a doctor. If you aggravate it by playing you're going to have to spend even more time away from you're guitar
Oh my god
Sorry but..
"Hey Guys check this awesome riff!"
<<Begins riffing>>
<<POP>>
"Ermm..." *runs*