I'm currently in the process of finding a new flat to live in. It seems here though that the indepedent landlords are tympanistaphobes (they're scared of drummers in other words).

The moment I mention the word 'drummer' and tell them I need room for my kit, they seem to shut off and as a result I still don't have anywhere to live still for uni.

Is this fair? How can they allow someone blasting CDs in a house and not a drummer and a musician?
Just be like LOL JK
Gear:
IBANEZ RG2550EX
Orange Rocker 30
Peavey Ultra Plus (lights up)
just shut up about the drums when you're getting the flat and move then in later
Quote by seljer
just shut up about the drums when you're getting the flat and move then in later

Then he might not have enough room for a kit

Just say you need a big enough room to make your crystal meth, but don't mention the drums part. That could be bad for their business. A meth addict is always welcome, though
Quote by seljer

hmm, this.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by seljer

No point in keeping quiet if I need a big enough room to hold the kit in the first place.

Also, a stupid drummer joke:

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?
Homeless.
Quote by skaterskagg1
Stop playing drums and stick with guitar.

+1
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

Quote by The Shroom420
Then he might not have enough room for a kit

I could squeeze a drumkit into my tiny ass dorm room if I wanted too
unless you're terry bozzio you'll find enough space for a basic in a flat, screw living rooms and TV
Quote by TheReverend724
so true

ps how big is your set?

I have two- my main kit (a Mapex kit I borrowed) and a flats kit (practice kit).
Of course it's fair, they don't want the noise.

Why do you need to tell them though? Can't you see for yourself if there's room for a drum kit?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I don't see why it should be a problem as long as you aren't going to start making a racket at 2 in the morning.

The same as any other instrument really...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Of course it's fair, they don't want the noise.

Why do you need to tell them though? Can't you see for yourself if there's room for a drum kit?

It's not fair when I have to put up with people blasting music CDs in their rooms.

Also, being clear you're a drummer is a lot easier than dealing with complaints (as I did last year) when people think you're being too noisy later on.
Quote by Tempoe
Don't tell them, get practice pads or electronic.

Someone'll notice either way....plus, my kit HAS to come with me, I have nowhere else to keep them/
You're being ridiculous, the drums are a loud instrument, get a cheap electronic kit for practicing, or practice pads. Don't you see how insanely antisocial it is to be playing drums in a block of flats? Its an utterly ridiculous argument that its not fair you putting up with people blasting out music, theres no reason why its then acceptable to play drums loudly. Get a grip, and some common sense.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's not fair when I have to put up with people blasting music CDs in their rooms.
Also, being clear you're a drummer is a lot easier than dealing with complaints (as I did last year) when people think you're being too noisy later on.

You don't have to put up with that, complain .... however the people who blast cd's didn't get the flat by saying to the landlord .... "I need space for my stereo, I plan to be annoyingly loud" ... which is what you're doing by mentioning the drums.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by minibrowny
You're being ridiculous, the drums are a loud instrument, get a cheap electronic kit for practicing, or practice pads. Don't you see how insanely antisocial it is to be playing drums in a block of flats? Its an utterly ridiculous argument that its not fair you putting up with people blasting out music, theres no reason why its then acceptable to play drums loudly. Get a grip, and some common sense.

I'm not that loud and I can go to the drum shop (yes, we have a dedicated drum shop here) and get some mutes if need be.
Quote by tommyt
You don't have to put up with that, complain .... however the people who blast cd's didn't get the flat by saying to the landlord .... "I need space for my stereo, I plan to be annoyingly loud" ... which is what you're doing by mentioning the drums.

My intention is to play drums in the flat, not to be noisy.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm not that loud and I can go to the drum shop (yes, we have a dedicated drum shop here) and get some mutes if need be.

...Then theres no issue, is there. Absolutely nothing thats helped by any of the solutions here, why? Because its absolutely fucking obvious.
Quote by minibrowny
...Then theres no issue, is there. Absolutely nothing thats helped by any of the solutions here, why? Because its absolutely fucking obvious.

SO why isn't this so 'obvious' to the landlords?!
Oh god, not this shit again.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
SO why isn't this so 'obvious' to the landlords?!

Because as an instrument its generally loud. Thats its image. Drums are loud. When they realise you're a drummer, they think you will be loud. Thats why. So stop asking ridiculous questions, and shut up. Don't tell them you're a drummer, find some way of making your kit quiet, or don't play. Simple. Now go away again.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
If you don't like it, leave the thread.

I don't like the fact that you're a drama queen of unprecedented proportions. More than this thread alone can contain.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by minibrowny
Because as an instrument its generally loud. Thats its image. Drums are loud. When they realise you're a drummer, they think you will be loud. Thats why. So stop asking ridiculous questions, and shut up. Don't tell them you're a drummer, find some way of making your kit quiet, or don't play. Simple. Now go away again.

I hate being a drummer.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Is this fair?
Yes.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
How can they allow someone blasting CDs in a house and not a drummer and a musician?
Most don't allow that. Even if they do, drums carry farther and permeate more, than amplified sound, unless you have a HUGE sound system.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm currently in the process of finding a new flat to live in. It seems here though that the indepedent landlords are tympanistaphobes (they're scared of drummers in other words).
In other words, they're intelligent landlords protecting their neighbors from the nuisance of rude, obnoxious tenants. Hurray for them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by sk8ordie97
say you have alot of equipment needed for college and dont specify what it is
check out the flat and makes sure theres room

I love you.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I hate being a drummer.

We aren't impressed that you're a drummer. Theres nothing special about it, it doesn't make you a better person, it doesn't mean we look at you with reverence, it means you look like a dick because you keep drawing attention to it.