so, i've come to realize that i'm been trying impress other musicians rather than impress people who arent. so what can i do to make people like my guitar playing more.

ps i play mostly metal and i'm getting bored of it.
expand your ability? learn to play numerous different styles? also, if you haven't, study music theory.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
You've got it all wrong. Play primarily for yourself. If other people dig it that's cool. If they don't then **** em
i guess that was a bit vauge. i meant like gimme some ideas on songs to learn cause i learn how to do things by emulating cause i'm a tool
EDIT: ^ Panama- van halen

good song to learn if you want to break from metal.

I think you should just practice. and learn more varietys.

Honestly: I don't think playing guitar should be all about impressing people. I used to be the same way, and I had no fun whatsoever.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 18, 2009,
If you want people to like your guitar skills learn a RHCP song. Everyone loves a good RHCP guitar jam
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by nostr0tomas
i guess that was a bit vauge. i meant like gimme some ideas on songs to learn cause i learn how to do things by emulating cause i'm a tool
I stand by my initial response
Quote by Nietsche
You've got it all wrong. Play primarily for yourself. If other people dig it that's cool. If they don't then **** em

hes got it right, when you come to like how you play, for yourself, others will at the very least appreciate that. plus its more fun to play without pressure, especially if you add it to yourself
don't play metal. try that. metal doesn't impress anyone because that's all you hear at guitar store. learn a smoother more melodic style. try jazz, blues, country, etc. have a look at mark knopfler's stuff. if i play his music at guitar stores thats when people start to come over and comment.
learn some blues or jazz? Or learn some mega hard sweeping excersises.. im doing that now, and im actually enjoying myself.
i'm not talking like a store or a stage, more like hey i'm chillin in a room with some friends and i want to just add some more fun to the place so they can bel ike OMGZ I LUV THAT SONG. i like to entertain people.
sounds like you're playing for the wrong reasons.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by nostr0tomas
i'm not talking like a store or a stage, more like hey i'm chillin in a room with some friends and i want to just add some more fun to the place so they can bel ike OMGZ I LUV THAT SONG. i like to entertain people.

Yea, try some classic rock for that effect. And some blues, maybe jazz if your daring.

Metal is played to much.
Learn a blues scale, and screw around with it, and I swear people will think you're good. I did that a couple months ago, it's actually really funny.
The playground of the world
But really, I suggest something more chill than metal, such as blues, or jazz. Something like the ending to Burden by Opeth (just so happened to be listening to this song).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnD2maKnVBA#watch-main-area

Starts around 4:00.

Pat_s1EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTjn_QuJ1w

^ Or that. Love that funky kinda shred, bit of jazz influence too.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jul 18, 2009,
Hard-rock and blues with a touch of shred outta do the job.
Rhythm In Jump. Dancing Close To You
Learn Jazz guitar. Trust me, I play Metal, but Jazz is just something totally different. I would suggest you learn the guitar transcription for Three Views of a Secret by Weather report (you will need GP though). Real fun.
if you dont know good theory (though im assuming you do) then go for it.

RHCP like someone mentioned is a good one, check out some of the live solos when i saw them frusciante had really good guitar work.

Classical/classically influenced music too. Try the song 'horizons' by genesis.

Another tangent is to go acoustic and sing.