Hey everyone, I really need to get a job and I'm kind of confused as to how I make my chances of getting jobs I apply to higher. I don't really know who is hiring at all around my town, so I just get applications, apply, and follow up 5 days to a week later. Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting a job?

Also, how do companies feel about online applications? Should I go into the store to tell them I applied or just follow up the applications like normal?
Favorite bands at the moment:
1. Tool
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Between the Buried and Me
4. Queens of the Stone Age
5. Soundgarden
6. Pearl Jam
7. Buckethead
8. Green Day
Are you getting interviews, or are they not even calling you?

If you're not getting interviewed, you have to keep following up.

With all the lay-offs, it's going to make more difficult for kids our age to get jobs. They will be taken by older people who are more "responsible" that'll take any job at this point.

If you apply online, I would go to the place of business for a follow up.
Looking for a job? Good luck, I've been looking for months with no success. It's tough out there.
Quote by rockonth
Do some volunteering.

Volunteering as in job shadowing or something along those lines?
1. Tool
2. Porcupine Tree
5. Soundgarden
6. Pearl Jam
7. Buckethead
8. Green Day
A big thing is if you graduated from high school or not. Even if you're a teenager, it's still really the big thing. If I'm not mistaken I think it's against the law for them to ask how old you are on your app. It's discrimination or some **** like that. You'd be lucky to find something. Good Luck.
DespisedIcon is right, knowing people who can get you in is important. Not always possible, though, so just fill out as many applications as you can. Don't skip a single business in your area. And make your applications stand out; where it asks how much you want hourly, put minimum wage; do not mark any time or day of the week as unavailable; stuff like that.
We're only strays.
Quote by hsteve3

They will be taken by older people who are more "responsible" that'll take any job at this point.

If you're not willing to take any job in this market, you're going to be looking for a loooooooooooong time. Get it through your head that unemployment isn't an option. Even if you hate the job you finally end up getting, you can keep looking for one that's better. The point is to start making some money.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
DespisedIcon is right, knowing people who can get you in is important. Not always possible, though, so just fill out as many applications as you can. Don't skip a single business in your area. And make your applications stand out; where it asks how much you want hourly, put minimum wage; do not mark any time or day of the week as unavailable; stuff like that.

I've done exactly that. I'm going to follow up to a few more applications tomorrow, and fill out another. There is a chicken farm around here and I can only apply there monday through friday... so I might do that, supposedly they hire whoever is willing to work there. *Crosses fingers* bonus: It pays 9.50 an hour!
1. Tool
2. Porcupine Tree
5. Soundgarden
6. Pearl Jam
7. Buckethead
8. Green Day
Yeah my job suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. But it pays. And I only got it because I knew the manager, I'm sorry to say
I applied to everywhere in my town early june and followed up every place. I still do not have a job. Good luck
just be very personable in the interview. employers at this level dont care about how technically able to do the job you are. the jobs are so easy anyone could do them. just be personable.
I have no opinion on this matter.