But i have some concerns.

I played one today and I really liked it.

I may have to get used to the shorter scale but ehh.

Now my question is how versitile is the guitar?

I play Alt rock with my band but I also play Jazz with my father and his band

can this guitar handle both?

ive also heard that the bridge on these guitars suck and i should replace it with a mustang bridge How much would this cost me to do?

The guitar at the store didnt have a tremelo arm on it so I couldent test it but like are they as bad as I hear? Like from what people seem to imply as soon as you start using it the guitar flys out of tune.

This guitar takes size 10 strings correct? 9s will just hop out of the socket?(im used to playing my strat witch i will probobly sell)

but yea sorry for all the questions but i need to clear some things up
Guitars
MIM Fender Strat
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amp
Fender Superchamp XD

Pedals
Crybaby Wah

Wishlist
Takamine G360S
it will play jazz an alt rock nicley, it probly wouldnt play metal to well, but thats not what they where made for. they are beautifull guitars and i have the bass version but plan on buying the guitar too
Lol thats great i hate metal <_<

Like i had no idea how to work the controlls in the store but is there a way to cut off the twang the guitar has?

Like I love the twang but not all of the time <_<
Guitars
MIM Fender Strat
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amp
Fender Superchamp XD

Pedals
Crybaby Wah

Wishlist
Takamine G360S
Jaguars get a lot of use in alt rock so it goes without saying they can handle it easily. Jazz too, the rhythm switch at the top is really handy to get a mellower authentic jazzy tone.

The bridge is fine unless you strum really hard. I hear stories of the strings popping out of place a little bit at the bridge if you do this. There's a bunch of options here, like the Mustang bridge as you mentioned, or a Tune-O-Matic (I know J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr does this to his Jazzmasters, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth does the same I think), and I hear things about a 'Mastery Bridge' (google it) for Jags/Jazzmasters which supposedly works really well.

The tremolo is actually quite stable tuning-wise, people who complain about it most likely tried super divebombs etc, the one on my Jazzmaster is really stable unless you abuse it (and even then it's not too bad).

.10's are usually reccomended for Jaguars and Jazzmasters. They barely feel different from 9s though IMO.

edit for your last post: yeah the rhythm switch above the pickups mellows it out a little, so you get less twang. Alternatively go for a Jazzmaster which still has the twang with the bridge pickup but is generally overall a bit mellower, but i'm sure you've been looking at the Jaguar for a reason. Also the Jaguar has a bass cut switch that might have been on while you were playing it which makes it really twangy. The controls probably seem really confusing at first but once you know what everything does it's easy to get what you want from them.
The rhythm circuit is really handy, you can set two different volume/tone settings and switch between them with one switch, so you can have a twangy tone pre-set then switch to a smoother jazzier tone at the flick of a switch. Can use it as a killswitch too, haha.
Last edited by pete-c at Jul 18, 2009,
Thanks for that Now everything seems more clear to me.

Ive been looking at both jazzmaster and Jaguars does jazzmaster get the same kind of twang? while still being mellower? it would seem the jaguar would have more tonal versitility being that it has more switches

also the jazzmaster has a scale like a strats....maybe i should look into this <_<
Guitars
MIM Fender Strat
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amp
Fender Superchamp XD

Pedals
Crybaby Wah

Wishlist
Takamine G360S
I might be wrong but I think the Jazzmaster actually has a slightly longer scale than a Strat, can't remember. It's not much of a difference if so from what I remember, it's either the same or a tiny bit bigger.

The Jag probably has a little more tonal versatility, but really the only extra tone option you get on it is a bass cut switch, right next to the pickup selector switches. Apart from that you're just looking at the fact the Jazzmaster is a little mellower and the Jaguar is a little twangier.

Try both out if you can, and/or check some demos on youtube :]
Quote by STABxYOU
Jazzmasters, Strats and Teles are all 25.5".

I must've been thinking of people comparing Jag and Jazz necks and them saying the Jazzmaster being longer scale made me think it was 'longer than average scale', silly me.
so do you think either guitar coulld work for me?

Im kinda switcing over to Jazzmaster now for the strat scale
Guitars
MIM Fender Strat
Ovation Celebrity GC057

Amp
Fender Superchamp XD

Pedals
Crybaby Wah

Wishlist
Takamine G360S
Is there somewhere you can try both out and compare them? That's probably the best idea at this point. Read up on what the fancy switches do (actually not that complicated) then head out and give them both a go and see what you think.

Both will suit your needs just fine but they both have their little differences.