Hey all,

In the market for a new strat to compliment or replace my MiM Strat, am specifically looking for a black strat with maple fretboard (Im aiming for a David Gilmour Strat look alike ).

What I don't get is the major difference between a Standard USA strat and a Deluxe USA Strat apart from the somewhat huge priceleap. I heard specifically the Standard strats are the worst fender strats in terms of price/quality as they were not much different to MiM strats, that true? How far apart are the differences from a Deluxe to a standard?

Many thanks in advance!
Depends what you like it's kinda like saying like why have you got a Gibson Standard when you can have a Custom if you see what i mean.
Quote by les-paul-92
Depends what you like it's kinda like saying like why have you got a Gibson Standard when you can have a Custom if you see what i mean.
The differences between a Standard and a Custom are currently very slim while there is a considerable price difference. On the other hand, the difference between an American Standard Strat and an American Deluxe Strat are huge while their prices are not so different. It's quite a different scenario.

I've listed the differences between the two types of American Strat quite frequently, so yay for copy&paste:

Quote by MrFlibble
To expand on the Standard/Deluxe differences:

Common differences are:
  • The Deluxe series are made of the same higher grade wood that the Custom Shop instruments have. Standards are made of a slightly lower grade wood.
  • The Deluxe neck join has a carved heel for better fret access.
  • The Deluxe models have locking tuners
  • The Deluxe have the S-1 switch (which by the way is an amazing feature and should be put on every singlecoil guitar in the world)
  • The American Deluxe bridge has a pop-in arm and block saddles, compared to the screw-in arm and bent saddles of the Am Standard bridge.
  • The finish options obviously are different.
  • Standard series have a slightly thinner finish coat than the Deluxe models.
  • The necks on Standards are tinted slightly darker, new Deluxe models' necks are barely tinted at all.
  • The Deluxe SSS and HSS are always alder, the Standard SSS and HSS both come in a 'Sienna Sunburst' finish that is on an ash body, usually costs $100/£90 more. Ash weighs more, has a slightly bright tone and sustains a bit better, as well as looking prettier.
  • Deluxe models have abalone inlays, Standards have regular cream/black plastic inlays

Specific special differences are:
  • The Deluxe HSS has a Fender Diamondback humbucker, two Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups which are wound slightly hotter than usual, and an LSR roller nut.
  • The Deluxe SSS has three regular-output Samarium Cobalt Noiseless singlecoil pickups, a no-load tone control (normal tone control from 0-9 and at 10 it clicks off entirely as if it's not even in the circuit) and a basic corian nut.
  • American Standard SSS has three nameless Fender singlecoil pickups and a 'delta-tone' tone control (similar to the no-load tone control of the SSS Deluxe but allows unusually high output on the bridge pickup).
  • American Standard HSS has two unique custom-staggered Fender Tex-Mex singlecoils and one Fender Diamondback humbucker pickup. Unlike the other Standard and Deluxe models, the HSS Standard has just regular tone controls rather than anything special.

Generally speaking the Deluxe has about £300-£400 worth of superior parts and usually only costs £100 more than the Standard, not to mention things like the S-1 switch, better quality wood and better fret access that the Deluxe have that the Standards can never have. Especially in the case of the HSS, since that also gets a LSR roller nut, the Deluxe is a bargain. Over here, a Deluxe HSS costs just £50 more than the Standard HSS in Sienna Burst - so for just £50 more you get the S-1 switch, better wood, better fret access, locking tuners, better bridge and a roller nut. It's amazing why anyone would bother with the Standard series guitars now.

So there you are. Don't bother with a Standard, go Deluxe all the way. If you think you'll use the vibrato a lot (bearing in mind it can never do Floyd Rose style whammy antics) then get the HSS version as that has a roller nut, if you won't be using the vibrato so much (either only for very light vibrato or maybe even not at all) then get the SSS version, as it's cheaper, can still do humbucker tones, and gives you the option of a true bridge singlecoil tone too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
go for the deluxe its worth the price. better Pickups (SCM) they are noisless and sound frickin great. as well as you have the S1 switching system for more pickup combos. i believe you can get 10 pick up combos instead of 5. also the locking tuners which is a big plus.

the only downside is the ugly ass colors. like really ugly some of them look like something you **** out.

and the standard strats now just aren't that great.
Gear

Epiphone Les paul
Vox ac50cp2
Ibanez s520ex
Squire Jazzbass
Quote by bumblu1
the only downside is the ugly ass colors. like really ugly some of them look like something you **** out.
This. The only Am Deluxe Strat that looks good is the SSS Chrome Silver with a maple fretboard. That one specific combination looks good, the rest look like utter turd.
Sadly that one combination is also by far the most popular (for the above reason) and Fender aren't keeping up with the demand; you can buy nearly every other finish whenever you want, but there's a huge waiting list worldwide for the silver/maple combination. Even going to a distributor direct and cutting out the store, I still had a seven month wait for one - though I could have had any of the other finishes within a week. Sod that.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Get the deluxe, its only $100-200 or so more and its a lot better. If you get the standard, youll end up regretting not getting the deluxe.

And to the color thing, if its the pickguards that you guys hate, you can just buy a regular white one cheap and swap them out.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Jul 18, 2009,
Go Highway One. To me, they have a better tone, and are cheaper.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
the highway one is by far the worst guitar i have ever played. i rather play a squire.

regarding the Deluxe if you look at the sunburst models (which really arent that bad) the only problem is the ugly and sticky finish on the neck. it looks like someone pissed on it. maple should be a light color not piss yellow
Gear

Epiphone Les paul
Vox ac50cp2
Ibanez s520ex
Squire Jazzbass
Quote by MrFlibble
This. The only Am Deluxe Strat that looks good is the SSS Chrome Silver with a maple fretboard. That one specific combination looks good, the rest look like utter turd.
Sadly that one combination is also by far the most popular (for the above reason) and Fender aren't keeping up with the demand; you can buy nearly every other finish whenever you want, but there's a huge waiting list worldwide for the silver/maple combination. Even going to a distributor direct and cutting out the store, I still had a seven month wait for one - though I could have had any of the other finishes within a week. Sod that.

The American Deluxe Strat also comes with extras like a better case, strap, straplocks, cleaning cloth, polish, and a cable. With those and the other benefits that MrFlibble mentioned make it a lot better than the Standard. But then again, I hear some people say they bought the Standard over the Deluxe because they didn't like the pickups. But they're pickups, they can be changed.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
And to the color thing, if its the pickguards that you guys hate, you can just buy a regular white one cheap and swap them out.
It's not just the pickguard - they also have abalone inlays which are tacky on a Strat and their plastic hardware is also often odd colours, and that's no easily changed - the S-1 switch basically stops you from changing anything.

That's the one problem I do have witht he Deluxe in terms of technical issues: the S-1 switch does amazing things but it does mean that you can't start customising your pots and it's next to impossible to change the switching options. You can change the pickups but even that is much more complicated than usual. Luckily most of them sound great right off the shelf, but if you're one of those people who can't stand stock guitars then the Deluxe can be rather a handful to change.
Ah seem's like my hand is forced to a Standard American. It's a tough life being a lefty in the guitar world. Can't seem to find any vintage/classic series Japanese or USA strats with maple necks/black body here in the UK. Same deal for the Deluxe, seems it only comes in tobacco burst checking online.

It's hard to check anything in shops as they never seem to carry more than 1 (if lucky 2) strats that are lefty (Even then its most likely to be a MiM) yet alone any other lefty guitars.
Last edited by Noir17 at Jul 19, 2009,
I think it's mostly personal preference tbh.

eg: I don't care for the S-1 switch much but I really like the mint green 'guard/parchment plastic with 3TS and the white w/ tort (and don't like that chrome/maple combo )

The deluxe is just as easy to change as any other strat provided you're willing to lose the S-1 switch - but I guess you might as well save some money and go standard.

I have mixed feelings on the SCN pickups. They're noiseless, which is nice when recording and they're very flexible - but they don't sound quite the same.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet