Looking for a practice amp that will handle basement jam sessions or even a small gig.

Right now I have a 15w behringer V-Tone and It's just not loud enough.

I play mostly Classic rock an light metal.

Price range Under $200
I know that's not enough of a good amp, I am just asking what is the best amp for this money.
Funny

(\__/)
(='o'=)
(")_(")
Used peavey classic 30 or if you save $100 more you can get a new blackheart LG
the marshall mgs (and dont listen to other people till u play on one) is loud and cheap. i have a 250w one and it rocks the whole house. youll need about $50 more for a 30w though. but check the pawn shops if anything.
Last edited by PRS_man at Jul 18, 2009,
^
No. If you want to get a solid state, then I strongly recommend those Peavey Vypyrs. Blows the mg out of the water
you can get a crate for that price, and for SS they do classic rock pretty well for what they are

and now im waiting for some 15 year old tube head to come in here and bash this

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
you can get a crate for that price, and for SS they do classic rock pretty well for what they are

and now im waiting for some 15 year old tube head to come in here and bash this

ill say it again ^ever played an mg? i dont see y everone thinks there so bad? they cant be to bad if zakk wylde, kerry king, Angus and Malcolm Young, and Yngwie Malmsteen use em. and the "crushing overdrive" isnt that crushing if u know how to use the amp. ever played the clean channel? its friggin great
This shouldn't be in here. It should be in Guitar Gear & Accessories.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Sorry I'm not really helping!

Ya I've got a Line 6 Spider III 15 and I think its great, everyone else will tell you otherwise though. I've heard the Peavey Vypyr is good, I dont know.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Last edited by WARNINGnimrod12 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by PRS_man
ill say it again ^ever played an mg? i dont see y everone thinks there so bad? they cant be to bad if zakk wylde, kerry king, Angus and Malcolm Young, and Yngwie Malmsteen use em. and the "crushing overdrive" isnt that crushing if u know how to use the amp. ever played the clean channel? its friggin great

Dude, I'm not here to argue, but.... the Crate guy was going FOR the Solid States... so uh.... *pats*
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by PRS_man

I've currently got an MG, it's pretty awful on it's own but if you run a distortion pedal through it it sounds okay. As for all the guitarists you listed that "use" the MG, there's a difference between using and endorsing.
Kerry King for example: endorses the MG but uses the 2203KK (which is essentially a Marshall JCM800).

As for the thread starter, I'd personally save up some money for a decent tube amp... If you insist on getting something right now though I'd take a look at the Peavey Vypyr series and the Roland Cubes.

Edit: Remember to try before you buy!
Last edited by Aleksi at Jul 18, 2009,
Yeah Yngwie uses marshall Mk.II 1987 heads, Zakk has the The Marshall JCM 2203ZW and so on. The pedal demo where zakk has that mini stack and he says "This thing is great anything with Marshall on it..... yeah... just great." You can see the Bull**** in his eyes.

Never played an mg though so I wouldn't know

I would recommend Peavey SS amps as I have had good experiences with them, crates are solid amps as well.
Quote by PRS_man

None of those people actually use those amps... Any please learn to type properly, trying to read your posts makes my head hurt.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Just a heads up i reported PRS_man. I'd say it's pretty obvious he's trolling.

I'd recommend a vox, roland, or peavey vypyr in that price range. Heck, even some of the old Peavey Bandits sound decent for a little cheap SS amp.
Quote by PRS_man

yeah those artist you said dont play them, but yeah i have tweaked around with one of my old band members it ****ing sucks balls it sounds like a dead person trying to sing like Sebastian Bach through a mic where the volume is up and you get that really loud feedback
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Try a VOX valvetronix.
My Stuff:
Epiphone SG
Jackson DK2M
Dean DOFlage ML
Dean Razorback db
VOX Valvetronix VT30
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP90

Add me...