Ok.
So I know that certain mismatches (amp/cab) as far as ohms go will work without failures. However that lose a bit of volume, right?
I also know that certain mismatches don't work and will completely blow your speakers or tubes.
I need a definitive list of these mismatches and which work. What I want to do is run an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cabinet.

Thanks,
ARS
Pot
Kettle
Black
if it's solid state go for it. if it's tube, don't.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
you're safe. plugging that amp into that cab will only cause you a loss in volume.
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Ok.
So I know that certain mismatches (amp/cab) as far as ohms go will work without failures. However that lose a bit of volume, right?
I also know that certain mismatches don't work and will completely blow your speakers or tubes.
I need a definitive list of these mismatches and which work. What I want to do is run an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cabinet.

Thanks,
ARS

Go ahead. No problem at all.
Quote by mikeyElite
plugging that amp into that cab will only cause you a loss in volume.

OK. You're wrong, but go ahead. Explain why.
Quote by BobDetroit

explain why i'm wrong please.
Without turning this into an electrical engineering thread... A watt is a watt is a watt. Low impedance loads are harder to drive. The 8 ohm load heats up more than the 16 ohm, thus varying the impedance more. And most of all, I doubt you can tell a 10% difference in volume, especially in a guitar amp.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by mikeyElite
you're safe. plugging that amp into that cab will only cause you a loss in volume.
No. He's basically right.

What kinda bullshit is that anyway.
Tell someone they're wrong WITHOUT saying what's wrong and expect them to reply???

Quote by BobDetroit
Without turning this into an electrical engineering thread... A watt is a watt is a watt. Low impedance loads are harder to drive. The 8 ohm load heats up more than the 16 ohm, thus varying the impedance more. And most of all, I doubt you can tell a 10% difference in volume, especially in a guitar amp.
No danger of that, with what you just posted.

1 - Maximum power is tranferred when the impedances match. You would KNOW this, if you had any background in electrical engineering.

2 - All that hooey about the load heating up is just that. It's basically a friggin motor. Most of the energy is transferred into displacing air, not heat. Any heat being dissipated is by losses.

3 - The amp was designed to drive an 8 ohm load. The maximum p-p voltage it can achieve before clipping is (for all intents and purposes) a fixed commodity. Increasing the load impedance by a factor of 2 decrease power by a factor of 2. This is a 3dB drop in volume. This IS noticeable. Doubt it, if you want. You'll be wrong.

TS, one thing that has NOT been mention thus far is speaker efficiency.
Look for the rating in dB/watt/meter. the higher the number, the louder it will be for the same power being applied. If you increase the efficiency by 3 dB, you've already broken even for the lower amount of power being transferred.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 18, 2009,
Get another 16ohm cabinet and wire it in parallel to the first one.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Ehh, the 3dB loss is something I can live with until I get a head with a matching ohm rating
You might actually have an INCREASE in volume, even though there is less power being transferred. Or you might have even more than a 3dB loss.

It all comes down to the efficiency of the new speaker you're using vs the old.
And you can use 2 cabs in parallel like Vulcan suggested.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 18, 2009,
^^2 cabs in the future for sure.
What I'm saying is that in the future when I get a 16 ohms Amp/Head everything will be hunky-dory, right?
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It all comes down to the efficiency of the new speaker you're using vs the old.

That' exactly why back in the '70s, before car stereos had any real power to speak of (10W was considered high), Jensen speakers were so coveted by us all. They had efficiency ratings several dB higher than most others on the market at the time. iirc, typically they advertised just over 100dB @1W at 1M, and most others were 97 to 98dB @1W at 1M. Trust me, you could hear a difference.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Alright, but as I said the 8ohm amp is just a temporary thing till I can get a good amp head, hopefully a Tiny Terror.
Pot
Kettle
Black