to grab barre chords, to grab the low E when you need it, for comfort, just generally, who else does this technique?

(other than Jimi Hendrix :P)
My Rig:
Gibson SG Classic (Heritage Cherry)
Crate V1512
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop JH-01 Jimi Hendrix Wah
the beatles do that sometimes...
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") He lost his ears to a pyrotechnics display
Please buy him new ears

Boats and Hos!
I keep my thumb in the middle of the fret bored at all times, I find it more comfortable
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
John Frusciante does it all the time.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I do it sometimes, but my guitar teacher told me not to and would always stop me when I did it. Habits are hard to break tho.
I don't do it naturally, but my thumb's always pretty close, so i'll scoot it up for certain chords.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
jimi, frusciante, and john mayer.

i do it occasionally, depending on what kind of stuff i'm playing. it's not the "rigtht" way to play, but there are some quite amazing guitarists that do.
Yeah, apparently it's a bad habit. And I do it. But sometimes it works best if I'm doing some weird jazzy chord and want to throw in a bass note on the low E or something.
i know some bob dylan songs that you have to play some chords with your thumb on the E.

some chords would just be way to hard to switch to if you didnt.
i do when i play fast in middle of fretboard. i like to keep my thumb down though.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
I do it. It makes some stuff way easier to play
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
the young brothers do it on highway to hell, im sure jimmy page has done it
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I do it sometimes, it makes sense to do it that way... don't know why it's considered a 'bad' habit. It leaves me with a free pinky... which means I can add embelishments(sp?).... since I use my ring finger to bar two strings... so if anything it's better!
I never have difficulty 'performing' it right away with whistles, hums, 'grunts' and percussion.
Is it considered wrong technique? I mean I see steve vai, joe satriani, and kirk hammett do it. They all have bad technique then?
I use it for the low e on some parts of dani california by RHCP and some other random chords but thats it
I don't play full barre chords like that, but if I'm string skipping to some funky stuff then I put the thumb there to save my whole hand position moving, so I can play faster and more syncopated.
Ritchie Havens ONLY used his thumb. Tuned to an open D chord or something and ran it up and down the board. I cover 5th and 6th strings on Gm (?) that way. anyway its 3|3|0|3|3|3 and I can't figure out any other sensible way to play it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

did it first time when i started to play pearl jam's yellow leadbetter
Quote by Ganphra
I do it sometimes, it makes sense to do it that way... don't know why it's considered a 'bad' habit. It leaves me with a free pinky... which means I can add embelishments(sp?).... since I use my ring finger to bar two strings... so if anything it's better!

One of the reasons it's considered a bad habit, is because having your thumb fixed on a certain point adds tension (Think anchoring) So if you're keeping your thumb to play the bass note, then your other fingers for the other notes for form the barre chord and your pink for embelishments like you said, using your pinky will cause some tension.

Using your thumb to grab the bass notes also limits where your fingers can go. It's considered to be better to keep your thumb in the middle of your neck so you can stretch your fingers better.

Also from what I've read it causes Carpal Tunnel.

Is it considered wrong technique? I mean I see steve vai, joe satriani, and kirk hammett do it. They all have bad technique then?

Just because famous people do it, doesn't mean it's right. I've seen Satriani anchor, and Steve Vai do wrong techniques, and I don't really consider Kirk Hammett that good, just me though. You can't use famous guitarists to back up a statement of why a technique considered wrong is right.

Now then:

Even if it is wrong technique, it can help you make more complex rhythms or add certain flavors to your music. For me though, I wouldn't use it on every barre chord I did, I'd learn both ways and only use it when needed.
It's not bad technique or good technique. It should be definately be used sometimes when you have big hands and can learn to comfortably reach chords that can't played otherwise.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
One of the reasons it's considered a bad habit, is because having your thumb fixed on a certain point adds tension (Think anchoring) So if you're keeping your thumb to play the bass note, then your other fingers for the other notes for form the barre chord and your pink for embelishments like you said, using your pinky will cause some tension.

Using your thumb to grab the bass notes also limits where your fingers can go. It's considered to be better to keep your thumb in the middle of your neck so you can stretch your fingers better.

it wouldnt add any more tension than using regular barre chords. in fact, i know from experience it uses less. it really doesnt take much tension at all to press down the E string with my thumb. and the pinky causes hardly any tension at all. when ever i use it in this type of situation it always feels loose.

i think most guitar players that use this technique also know when to not do it as well. there are some chords you just cannt play without your thumb behind the neck. on the flip side, there are actually some chords you couldnt play so easily or at all without the thumb.

and it wouldnt cause carpel tunnel more than playing with the thmb behind the neck. it depends on how high or low you play your guitar. if i play my guitar really high, using the thumb would put my wrist in a bent position. if i were to play low, using my thumb behind the neck would do the same. but if you have it at a position thats just right, you should be fine.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

So does fretting 9ths. Should we abandon that too?

---
---
---
-5-
-3-
-1-

That is pure carpal tunnel right there.
Okay I stand corrected. Did you guys not noticed that I stated "What I read up on"? Obviously I read up on the wrong things. So my apologies for stating something I read up on.
I do it because my instructor always told me there was no wrong way to play and to do what was more comofortable and suited me better. I move my thumb behind the neck for bar chords and bends though.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
It isn't a bad habit, because you can play some chords with certain voicings, that, without using the thumb, would be very uncomfortable and sometimes, impossible to play.
John Mayer songs is a great example of using the thumb to fret notes for otherwise, impossible chords.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I've seen Jeff Beck do it once
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
You don't even need big hands to do it, but you might have to work at it a bit at first. Thom Yorke (Radiohead), for example, uses his thumb to fret quite often. The thumb is extremely useful for muting the bottom E string (think chords, for the most part), and fretting to play chords that would be impossible, or uncomfortable, to play otherwise.
95% of the time my thumb remains behind the neck. The only time is comes out is to mute unwanted strings when playing open chords(like the low E and A strings when playing a D chord). When i'm playing lead or anything else, the thumb stays behind the neck.
Quote by Lurcher
Ritchie Havens ONLY used his thumb. Tuned to an open D chord or something and ran it up and down the board. I cover 5th and 6th strings on Gm (?) that way. anyway its 3|3|0|3|3|3 and I can't figure out any other sensible way to play it.

I was just about to say richie havens myself