I have come here in search of recommendations for a new interface.

I'm using an Alesis Multimix 8 USB at the moment and I am not pleased with the sounds I am getting. It's clean sounds for guitars and bass are fine, but when I turn on the gain, I don't get that great of a sound, and the drums don't sound as good as I would like. I am a drummer turned guitar player turned bassist, so I will be recording drums a lot, so a 1 plug deal won't cut it.

I don't care if it's firewire or USB, a rack mount would be fine, i don't care about built in effects, EQ, as long as I can get a good sound out of it, I'm happy. My budget is around $400 or less.

I have some nice mics, so it's not a mic problem.
I use to own the Alesis Multimix 16 USB and I remember the quality being less the great, So I understand where you are coming from. I upgraded, got rid of the physical mixer and now I use a Presonus FireStudio and Logic Pro. Much Better Sound Quality and Overall I'm Very Pleased with my Results.

I'd recommend getting any PreSonus Interface, I bought mine for around $400 it got 8 XLR ins and Various Outs on the back of the unit (Can't remember them all at the moment) But Overall a great unit.

So Try Anything By PreSonus, Depending on the number of inputs you need the Model you'll want will differ

But Check out www.presonus.com

Good Luck.
maybe try the line 6 pod ux1 or something? they seem pretty good, im ordering mine sometime this month so i dunno how good they really are yet.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
I've looked at a few PreSonus but the ones I would buy are all over $500, so maybe not. And no to the Line 6, I don't trust line 6 with my recordings :P

Thanks so far though, anyone else?
I'm in exactly the same boat - I'm looking at the presonus firestudio project and the focusrite saffire pro 40

the presonus has a really good bundle of software, the focusrite not as much, but they are meant to have the best preamps at that price point...
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by CatharsisStudio
to the broski above me, firepods preamps and converts suck, =( profire 2626 is the mother ****ing win. !

Cheers man, I'll check it out

EDIT: Mmmm - pro tools compatible........., 24/192, Looks like I winner - I'll do some more reading up on the pre's but looks great so far
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Last edited by cuthbertg at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by mccabe24
You might want to check out some of M-Audio's interfaces. They have a variety of good sounding interfaces with 4-8 inputs in your price range.

Thanks, but my friend has a Fast Track and I'm not a fan of it. I do like the M-Audio ProFire 2626 but I don't have the $$ to get one Anyone else? I was thinking of getting this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-TubeFire-8?sku=180164
Quote by mccabe24
There is a smaller, MUCH cheaper version of the 2626. I think its called the 610 or something like that. Check the M-Audio website if you're interested.

Ya but its 2 xlr and 2 1/4" and I need 4 xlr
I had a Fasttrack - I thought it was pure junk - traded it for a Big Muff PI. I then used a Presonus INSPIRE for a few months - worked beautifully! Now I use a BOSS GS-10 - It RAWKS... it's 1 input and USB but with all the amps, effects, etc it just totally RAWKS, and all I record is guitar anyways. I'm gonna sell the INSPIRE on Ebay. I wouldn't have any more M-Audio stuff. The GS-10's presets sound so good I don't even use Guitar Rig, Amplitube, TH1, etc., anymore. There's 100 presets and room for 100 user presets - I found hundreds on the net and with the Editor software, and Librarian software creating your own is easy and the possibilities are endless. There's loads of amps and practically every effect imaginable.

Find one on Ebay and grab it - you'd be amazed at how good it sounds.

They originally sold for $500:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=boss+gs-10&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by strangedogs
I had a Fasttrack - I thought it was pure junk - traded it for a Big Muff PI. I then used a Presonus INSPIRE for a few months - worked beautifully! Now I use a BOSS GS-10 - It RAWKS... it's 1 input and USB but with all the amps, effects, etc it just totally RAWKS, and all I record is guitar anyways. I'm gonna sell the INSPIRE on Ebay. I wouldn't have any more M-Audio stuff. The GS-10's presets sound so good I don't even use Guitar Rig, Amplitube, TH1, etc., anymore. There's 100 presets and room for 100 user presets - I found hundreds on the net and with the Editor software, and Librarian software creating your own is easy and the possibilities are endless. There's loads of amps and practically every effect imaginable.

Find one on Ebay and grab it - you'd be amazed at how good it sounds.

They originally sold for $500:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=boss+gs-10&_sacat=See-All-Categories

-_-
I said, in the POST ABOVE YOU that I need 4 XLR inputs at least, because I'm recording guitar.
I'm sorry to bump this but I didn't want to make a new thread just for this. some posts up someone said that the 610 is the same thing as the 2626 but with less inputs. Is that actually true? Cause I've been wanting to get a 2626 but I dont have a need for that many inputs at this point...Just wanting some clarification there is all.
Quote by Thomasoman
I'm sorry to bump this but I didn't want to make a new thread just for this. some posts up someone said that the 610 is the same thing as the 2626 but with less inputs. Is that actually true? Cause I've been wanting to get a 2626 but I dont have a need for that many inputs at this point...Just wanting some clarification there is all.

Ya, the 610 is pretty much a mini 2626. It's got a real nice sound, I've heard some recordings on this board from members using it. If I had the $ I would buy the 610 or the 2626, but right now, i just don't, but when I do, I think I'll get one of them