Hey im thinking about buying the valveking head with the cab, i play mostly metalcore post hardcore and i want to get into stuff like the human abstract and protest the hero. would this be a good amp for my style? i also am thinking about getting the shecter hellraiser
I guess i'm the one to ask =)

They are good budget valve amps, but you may want to swap the speakers when you get it, so you don't sound so muddy.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
I guess i'm the one to ask =)

They are good budget valve amps, but you may want to swap the speakers when you get it, so you don't sound so muddy.

thanks u mean like get a completely different whole speaker? like which
What is your budget for an amp? You can do much better then a valveking half stack
Quote by Ghold125
What is your budget for an amp? You can do much better then a valveking half stack

+1

'Twas gonna say it myself.

Also, it'll probably be mentioned sooner or later, but a half stack is definitely not a necessity. The B-52 112 is a 60 watt tube combo that seems to be getting a good rep around here. It's under $400, so it depends on what your budget is.
thing is i dont know my exact budget. my mom said she'd buy me a guitar and amp so im just reading up and lookin what im guna test and hope she would say yes to what i decide to get.
Quote by crimson205
thanks u mean like get a completely different whole speaker? like which

It's not a necessity, (I still haven't done it), but yeah you can replace the speakers entirely. There are a wide range of speakers available and each are better for certain styles of music. If you ever need info on stuff to do with the valveking here is the official valveking wiki https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296&page=1
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by crimson205
thing is i dont know my exact budget. my mom said she'd buy me a guitar and amp so im just reading up and lookin what im guna test and hope she would say yes to what i decide to get.

O.0!! for your first amp and guitar? you have no chance in hell of your mum sayin yes. Start cheap ffs, because you may not enjoy playing and have thousands of dollars of gear laying around doing nothing.

If it IS you first amp and guitar...try

Roland cube 30
Ibanez of some sort.

peace.

EDIT:: oh, metalcore.... right.. NVM ^^^
Quote by Mad Marius
it will be my 2nd guitar lol. but yeah i really want this, and i dont think she believes i will keep playing but ill see...the biggest prob will be that i havent sold my other guitar but no one wants to buy a used les paul special II :S
I used to own a VK head and a decent Peavey 4x12.

Even through a Marshall with v30s it was kinda mleh. I never really got too attached to it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by crimson205
Hey im thinking about buying the valveking head with the cab, i play mostly metalcore post hardcore and i want to get into stuff like the human abstract and protest the hero. would this be a good amp for my style? i also am thinking about getting the shecter hellraiser

Hmm the head's not bad but almost everyone agrees the VK speakers are ****...

IMO you should buy the head and go get a nice cab!

2x12 / 4x12 Avatar with V30's maybe? Not too expensive but would probably suit it well. IMO a 2x12 is so much more convenient!

Then get a decent OD to boost it...

Bad Monkey if your on a budget
Otherwise Ibanez Tubescreamer, MXR GT-OD, Fulltone Fulldrive/OCD
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Last edited by hendrixftw at Jul 19, 2009,
Do not get a valveking for the type of music you listed. You will be disappointed and on an endless tone search. VK's can sound great but they take a lot of work to get there. I would look for a used 6505, Rectifier, Marshall, or anything that you could get used for the same price you'd pay for a new Valveking.
As a previous poster mentioned, look into the B-52 AT-112. The only thing is, I just ordered a brand new one, and within the first hour I owned it, I already suffered with some issues. However, the tone kicks major freaking ass.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
If you're playing especially heavy stuff, there are better options than a VK. VK's can sound nice, but for heavy music, it'll take some work. By the time you buy an OD, EQ, speakers and tubes, you could have just bought something better suited. And you don't need a 100 watt head and a 4x12 cab. A 100 watt tube amp is obscenely loud. Unless you're playing a large hall and it doesn't sound like you are, a smaller amp will suite you fine. 25 watts or so in a tube amp is more than enough to play with a band.
What could be the risk of buying used? bcuz my old amp got messed up for no damn reason, the bass got all messed up and itl change while i was playing. Also, where can i buy used items?

Edit:..I just looked up the b-52 or whatever it is, and wow thats really affordable i will test that out when i get figure out a piece to play.
Last edited by crimson205 at Jul 19, 2009,
My Valveking is... boring.
You can get rid of everything you really dislike about the tone fairly easily, but it's still not a tone I like. Very bland.
Good value for money, but if you're spending that kind of money then you should assume you'll be playing guitar for a long time, so if you have to stretch the budget to accomodate a slightly better amp it may well be worth it in th long run.