So how can you determine what 7th chords etc go in a key? All i know is the usual MmmMMmDim etc. Do you just go by common chord progressions eg in Aminor 12 bar blues it is typically B7?

Also if you add a chord which has an added note which isnt in key, is that just considered a passing note?
Typically in 12 bar blues you got by roots, fourths, and fifths. And sometimes there's that occasional 6m7 chord thrown in there. I'm not sure what your asking but if you add a note to a chord it all depends on what note it is. I believe if you add any of the chord tones in a different octave it's still a chord tone. Then the next step would be scale tones, and then chromatic passing tones.

Does that help?
Quote by ChromaKey21
So how can you determine what 7th chords etc go in a key? All i know is the usual MmmMMmDim etc. Do you just go by common chord progressions eg in Aminor 12 bar blues it is typically B7?

Also if you add a chord which has an added note which isnt in key, is that just considered a passing note?

Maj7, min7, min7, maj7, 7, min7, m7b5.

That's what it is for the major scale. However, so I'm not just giving a man a fish, I challenge you to find the 7th chords for the minor scale, and the 9th chords for the major and minor scale. All you have to do is write out the scale...

C D E F G A B

...pick a root note and pick out every other note, 4 times for 7ths, and 5 times for 9ths. So for G, you would grab the notes G B D F. Now look at the intervals. The B is a major 3rd away from G, the D is a perfect fifth, and the F is a minor 7th. That makes it what? A dominant 7th? Understand? If not, you may want to review the Crusade Columns. They're just what you're looking for.

As for the last question, no, it's not a passing tone if it's part of the chord. If it's part of the chord then it most likely serves a purpose other than passing. Like say, in the progression C - A7 - Dm - G7, the A7 is out of key, but it the fact that it's a dominant seventh means that it likes to pull to a major or minor chord exact a perfect 5th away -- which is where there following Dm comes in. Very common progression.
i don't know why i feel so dry