Hello there, I'm going to turn 16 in a few days (yay!) and will be getting my license shortly after. I've been saving up for a really long time and have accumulated about 4000 dollars to spend on a car (a little less.) Well I live in Colorado and I need a car that has 4wd, good gas mileage, and doesn't look like a piece of **** (I'm not all that picky though.) A couple cars I've been looking at have been Toyota 4runner's (can't find a good deal AT ALL), Subaru Forester's (links down below.) Subarus and Toyotas are both brands that are reputable for putting 200k+ miles onto a car, which is good because I'll need something that will last me through College and my last two years of high school.

Well here are some questions:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1271963800.html - With this car, it looks like it could be a really good deal, this is the second time he has posted it on craigslist (I think) so he probably could be talked down a couple hundred bucks, which I could use to paint that part of the car that's missing paint. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to paint this?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1270947784.html - This looks like it could probably be the best deal for me, could talk him down a few hundred regardless and put some money into the car. Although the owner isn't responding to e-mails (bastard) and won't send me pictures of the inside. When it gets closer to my birthday I'll try and call him.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1273094107.html - Really nice looking car but rebuilt from a salvage title. Could I take it to a mechanic and have them inspect it for a relatively cheap price? What problems may occur with buying a salvage title (insurance, etc?)

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1275710200.html - This looks like a good deal, seeing as how models from this year I've seen with 230K+ miles on them, although the gas mileage doesn't look too great (like 17 combined.)

Well if you have any input on which one I should get or if there's a car out there that might be better for me, leave a reply.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. - Sorry if it's a wall of text!
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
im going to say go w/ the 4runner, because ive heard subaru's are notorious for having weak transmissions, which eventually go out sooner rather than later.
might i suggest getting a mitsubishi montero sport?
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Quote by CoreysMonster
sorry, but how in the world were you able to save 4000 dollars before turning 16???

Maybe in his past life he decided that he would start saving $4000 so that when he dies and is reincarnated, he can start saving money when he's 5 years old.

Of course, this plan would fail if he was reincarnated into a snail or a dog.
Quote by CoreysMonster
sorry, but how in the world were you able to save 4000 dollars before turning 16???

Working (mowing lawns), not spending my money on anything other than my agile in the past like two years, my moms side of the family sends money to me on a lot of occasions, also it's more like 3000 that I have, my mom and dad are going to pitch some in.

It pretty much breaks down to > I haven't spent any money at all lately, you'd be surprised at how much you would have if you didn't spend any >_<

Strato: There's very few listings for them here in Colorado.... Also I don't really know Mitsubishi to be a reliable brand (although I just saw a car with 306k miles on it!)
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Last edited by Rickjames730 at Jul 18, 2009,
What part of Colorado? Im in Golden.

I say go with the Forester, because you like it, can afford it, and looks to be well kept care of.
I like R&B Slow Jam & Funk songs best. Comment me if you likey.
Pretty much all music is good to me.
Haters gonna hate
Quote by Rickjames730

It pretty much breaks down to > I haven't spent any money at all lately, you'd be surprised at how much you would have if you didn't spend any >_<

F*ck you, those Yugioh cards were worth it.
Quote by metaldud536
F*ck you, those Yugioh cards were worth it.

yeah, same goes for my whiskey!
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Working (mowing lawns), not spending my money on anything other than my agile in the past like two years, my moms side of the family sends money to me on a lot of occasions, also it's more like 3000 that I have, my mom and dad are going to pitch some in.

It pretty much breaks down to > I haven't spent any money at all lately, you'd be surprised at how much you would have if you didn't spend any >_<[/QUOTE]

I agree, ive been saving for 3 years and i have about 11,000 and im 15
Haters gonna hate
I'd go with the 4 runner as I dont like Subaru's and they are notorious for week trannys as Strato said. Gl with the search im looking for a car as well as ill be 16 in a few months :. It sucks when cars are not in your area and when they are they want to much for them. I got about 5500 and im going for a 300zx I just cant seem to find one...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Jul 18, 2009,
autotrader.com is the best.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
I also live in Golden. Do you go to Golden?

Edit: (High school that is.)
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
No, just here for the summer lol
Haters gonna hate
I'd say go for the 4 runner because toyotas are known to run for an incredibly long time and if what that guy said about transmissions in subarus is true, then you would have to cough up a lot of money for one and if you're in college, that could be a problem.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
Are you visiting anyone that goes to Golden?

Metalhead: Honda, Subaru, and Toyotas are very trusted brands, what do you suggest?
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
No, my father and I own an asphalt paving bussiness and we work here in the summer. Im from Louisiana
Haters gonna hate
Quote by BlackIce87
I'd go with the 4 runner as I dont like Subaru's and they are notorious for week trannys as Strato said. Gl with the search im looking for a car as well as ill be 16 in a few months :. It sucks when cars are not in your area and when they are they want to much for them. I got about 5500 and im going for a 300zx I just cant seem to find one...

guy up the street is selling his. its a sexy yellow convertible. he wants 5k for it.
also
Quote by metalh3ad88
i would say find a car thats not a subaru, toyota, or honda.

this
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Oh well, where are you doing business, xD?
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Golden, Catle Rock, Elizabeth, and Aspen park, were everywhere XD
Haters gonna hate
Mmm cool, well maybe I'll stumble upon you one day.
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Maybe so! If you need asphalt just give us a call lol
Haters gonna hate
Quote by Strato-Massacre
guy up the street is selling his. its a sexy yellow convertible. he wants 5k for it.
also

That sucks and Yellow is one of my favorite colors on a Z. You dont live near Nc do you?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Why would you guys suggest not buying anything Honda, Toyota, or Subaru... Trolls?
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by Rickjames730
Why would you guys suggest not buying anything Honda, Toyota, or Subaru... Trolls?

I'd suggest not buying a 90's civic, toyota Corolla or any subaru that isn't an impreza. 90's civics tend to get riced out by teenage kids, same with corollas, and is there really a point in any subaru that isn't an impreza?
I wasn't planning on buying anything honda except maybe a cr-v. There are plenty of stock Corollas, I wouldn't do anything cosmetic to it unless the car had terrible rims. Point to a subaru that isn't an impreza? My brother has an impreza and I don't like how low it is to the ground, the Forester can handle some off-road stuff which I may need up in the mountains. Also the forester is a little more roomy.
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by CoreysMonster

I also did it
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
My advice would be 1) don't get a Subaru Forester, and 2) Just because you have $4K doesn't mean you have to spend it all. Only spend what you can afford to lose, after all there are a lot of idiots on the road.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
1) No reason specified as to why not to... I haven't seen any reasons on any vehicle sites as to not get one, can you provide one?
2) I will always have insurance,, and I don't want a piece of crap/ I can always get more money.
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by Strato-Massacre

might i suggest getting a mitsubishi montero sport?

+ a lot.

also, what about a Honda CRV which come with AWD, i doubt very much that you'll get one for $4000 though
Yeah I haven't found any CRV under 4000 dollars that isn't a 1998 model (not a good model.)
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by Rickjames730
Yeah I haven't found any CRV under 4000 dollars that isn't a 1998 model (not a good model.)

It's a very good car though, if you can find one after 2000 that hasn't been in an accident buy it. my mom has a CRV limited edition from 2001 and it still runs as good as the day she bought it, has never gotten stuck in snow, has never broken down, has leather interior, dual climate, air conditioning, etc. the only time anything has ever gone wrong with it was when the battery died last december, but that can be expected in a 7 year old vehicle after never changing the battery since the day it was purchased. there is also a ****LOAD of space in the bag and cargo space is unreal. the Rav4 would be great for you if you like the CRV because they are very closely related vehicles. the CRV is the better car but the rav4 is still great. or you could also have a look at a Suzuki Grand Vitara. I haven't dealt with them but it's ratings are pretty good and it has 4 wheel drive.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 19, 2009,
That suzuki looks like a neat little car, never heard of them, but I'll check those out, thanks.

A local dealer even has one at a decent price: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/inview/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=265268879&dealer_id=7952490&car_year=2000&dealership_view_name=www.bigbearmotors.com&first_record=51&sort_type=make_modelASC&pager.offset=50&cardist=0

I know the dealer guy and he easily goes down in price if you budge him (I drive by there almost every day.) Do they have the longevity of toyotas? I'll go look for myself on that.

Edit: It has a 29/100 on consumerguideauto.com which is not a good rating.
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Last edited by Rickjames730 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by BlackIce87
That sucks and Yellow is one of my favorite colors on a Z. You dont live near Nc do you?

columbia, south carolina
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz