Page 1 of 2
Well, here you go. Ain't no news flash...I think Gibson build quality sucks these days...yep big suprise.

This is the fretboard of a limited issue $8000 retail >>> $5000 street price Gibson Custom shop LP. Just unpacked it. Yeah...NGD...wait....aw..piss, not again!

You make the call.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
IIRC Links to other forums aren't allowed. Just a heads up, but that really sucks.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
i think the "how bad is gibson QC?" is a little blown out of proportion most of the time, but a guitar that costs THAT much should never have (what looks like) a knot in the fretboard of all things! thats sad...
if i ever got a guitar w/ a neck like that i would go to the plant and beat down whoever made it w/ it
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by consecutive e
IIRC Links to other forums aren't allowed. Just a heads up, but that really sucks.

NO ADVERTISING - You may not advertise other forums or tab sites (in your posts/signature/user title/location/etc) or send private messages to other users which contain advertisements or links to such forums or tab sites, unless those users have specifically asked for a link or information. - You may not advertise third party websites (in your posts/signature/user title/location/etc). - This does not include linking to sites that are relevant to a particular discussion, or linking to your profile on a social networking site such as MySpace.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
Ooooo.... ouch!!!
When my guitar started cutting out for the first time, I had it check out and it turned out the wiring wasn't tied together right, so with movement of the guitar, some wire slipped around and somehow got tugged out of place.

Of course, it's a Dean... made in China. Nonetheless, I wouldn't expect too much from a China factory.

But a Gibson... Gibson's quality is going down faster than the US's economy. Domino effect, anyone?

Even the inlays look oober cheap.... >_<
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 19, 2009,
I don't recall any of the custom shop models have inlays that were bright white pearl like that. The black case with the red lining is also highly unusual for the custom shop.

I am the first to admit that Gibson QC is usually terrible and I have often told the stories of how many awful Gibsons I've played, but this particular example is so mind-numbingly extreme and also suspicious that I'm having trouble buying it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by mikeyElite
brown neck binding ?

It is a CS remember.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
It is a CS remember.
Nowhere near that dark brown though. My VOS Reissue's binding is certainly a very aged cream colour but it's not even remotely close to as dark brown as the binding on that one is.

Also this whole "it's a limited run that Gibson have never announced and nobody has ever heard of but the dealer assures me it's legit... you think it's a Spotlight Special? Well... y-yeah, sure, that's exactly what it is!" is all very suspicious. He won't post pictures of the body, he wont' say what actual model it is, then someone hazards a guess as to what it could possibly be and he goes along with that idea as if it's what he's been saying all along. Apparently he's also bitched about Gibson before too for bull**** claims.

As I said before, Gibson do put out some really **** guitars these days, but I'm having trouble buying they'd miss something as obvious as this, and the guy making the claim is as suspicious as can possibly be.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by TheWall27
This is the fretboard of a limited issue $8000 retail >>> $5000 street price Gibson Custom shop LP. Just unpacked it
Anyone who would take delivery of an instrument that expensive without first inspecting it in-person is a moron, anyway.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Don't bound neck les pauls have nibs?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/les%20paul%20nibs/guitarfish/Guitars/Les%20Paul/Nibs2.jpg
see how the binding is level with the fret.

The guitar poster doesn't have that.

EDIT: heres the guitar he claims it to be http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Spotlight-Flame-Electric-Guitar-515531-i1372186.guitars
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by I am wet
http://media.photobucket.com/image/les%20paul%20nibs/guitarfish/Guitars/Les%20Paul/Nibs2.jpg

EDIT: heres the guitar he claims it to be http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Spotlight-Flame-Electric-Guitar-515531-i1372186.guitars
Good detective work!

One might argue that since this is supposedly from the Custom Shop, variations like that could be part of a custom order. But it's impossible to know for certain without asking the person directly.

This is one of the reasons a thread based on info and pics from a different forum are generally crap covered crap with a crap filled center. They can disparage a company according to a threadstarter's agenda but are impossible, or at best extremely difficult, to verify.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by I am wet

That Spotlight guitar is nioce, man.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I don't trust it. Just read the original thread, he's making excuse after excuse...
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
On one hand, there is no reason why it couldn't be legit, it's rosewood, rosewood has knots, the knot popped out leaving that hole. It is possible that it popped out at some point after it left the factory, but at the same time, Gibson used a piece of high grade rosewood that had a knot in it for the fretboard.

On the other hand, I don't see why the TS won't post full body pictures. Other than that I don't see what all the backlash against the TS is about.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 19, 2009,
This doesn't surprise me at all. Gibson is really slipping on the QC. I find too many Gibbys with problems that really should be sold as seconds but they try and pass them off as perfect. Some have very minor problems but some have such bad craftsmanship I would swear they are having them made in some third world country. I played an LP Custom today that had very sharp frets I pointed it out to the the salesman and he said they would have their tech check it out but then he put it back on the wall as soon as I was out of his sight. They were sharp enough they cut into my skin on my fingers. I go out two to three times a week to check out the used stuff and play as many guitars as I can while I am hunting there are far too many Gibsons out there that just don't stand up to Gibson's reputation.

John
It's prolly not a Gibson, yes I've even noticed the quality of some Gibsons I've played to be pretty crap, but an $8000 Gibson Custom? Please, they may have some issues but why would they tarnish their name like that. I say more pics or its prolly an epi or some other guitar with trapeziod inlays.

Actually i just read that TS's posts...he's a bonafide Troll lmao anyone with a legitimate, intelligent response (anyone who calls fake) gets flamed by him so until he posts pics of him with it, he's a troll and thats really really really really really really fake ...

really.
Hey..That isn't good quality control at all, there's a knot in the wood.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by johnro6659
This doesn't surprise me at all. Gibson is really slipping on the QC. I find too many Gibbys with problems that really should be sold as seconds but they try and pass them off as perfect. Some have very minor problems but some have such bad craftsmanship I would swear they are having them made in some third world country. I played an LP Custom today that had very sharp frets I pointed it out to the the salesman and he said they would have their tech check it out but then he put it back on the wall as soon as I was out of his sight. They were sharp enough they cut into my skin on my fingers. I go out two to three times a week to check out the used stuff and play as many guitars as I can while I am hunting there are far too many Gibsons out there that just don't stand up to Gibson's reputation.

John

The ironic thing is a lot of guitars made in third-world countries have even better QC.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by al112987
and what third world countries are those?

I actually botched the definition of "third world country" when I think about it, so nevermind.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
not to mention the only country that makes guitars that can really compete with USA made Gibsons is Japan. Which is just as technologically advanced and capable as the USA anyway.
Quote by TheWall27

^ thats not a Gibson les paul custom. customs have ebony fretboards. that is NOT ebony. and those inlays are only on the standards. the customs have block inlays... just an FYI.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
This looks about as legit as a van with a free candy sign on it parked outside an elementary school.
Quote by saves_the_day
This looks about as legit as a van with a free candy sign on it parked outside an elementary school.

Read the rest of the thread at LPF, it's legit.
Quote by f22master
^ thats not a Gibson les paul custom. customs have ebony fretboards. that is NOT ebony. and those inlays are only on the standards. the customs have block inlays... just an FYI.

Of course it isn't an LP custom, it's a Gibson Custom LP of some sort. Two different things.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i dont even think its a gibby, he might be posting a cheap asian guitar

if he posts full body pics w/ serial number and head stock pics then i'll believe him.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

I did read the whole thread and laughed the whole way through it. Definitely an example of "don't believe everything you see on the internet."

1. He won't show full images of the guitar.
2. He's shady as hell about the circumstances of the purchase.
3. The TS is a total prick, and if this is a true story I don't feel bad for him at all. Anyone who doubted his story got the response "put me on your ignore list and don't post in my threads," people like this should be thrown from airplanes without parachutes.

I can't stand all this anti-Gibson propoganda floating around the internet these days. I personally think people are just pissed that they can't afford quality instruments in these tough times.
Quote by saves_the_day
I did read the whole thread and laughed the whole way through it. Definitely an example of "don't believe everything you see on the internet."

1. He won't show full images of the guitar.
2. He's shady as hell about the circumstances of the purchase.
3. The TS is a total prick, and if this is a true story I don't feel bad for him at all. Anyone who doubted his story got the response "put me on your ignore list and don't post in my threads," people like this should be thrown from airplanes without parachutes.

I can't stand all this anti-Gibson propoganda floating around the internet these days. I personally think people are just pissed that they can't afford quality instruments in these tough times.
I take it that you are not very familiar with the LPF, I'm pretty sure more people on that site own (several) historics than not.

But I agree. The anti-Gibson movement is worse here compared to any other guitar related board on the internet that I've ever seen (HC, TGP, LPF, MLP, etc. etc.) And Gibson should take some heat for some shoddy work they've done lately but I've never seen more uninformed hate than I have on this particular forum.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

Did YOU read the rest of it? That guy has complained about Gibson QC tons of times in other threads, but still bought an "$8000 Gibosn Custom" AND he refuses to put full body pics up.

If you believe EVERYTHING you see or read on the interwebz you're not going to get far....
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Good detective work!

I believe this is a case of "unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful".
Page 1 of 2