So i have to start thinking about college and i was wondering if there was anything i can do to help getting a scholarship to this school. any ideas?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
You're going to let the pit decide your future...Ahahahahahahahahaha
I am Jesus...Lord of Chinese Food!
Quote by SeEsAw12
suck dick for the money.

just sayin'

how much will you pay?
Be in a minority and kick ass at an instrument.

This isn't science, it's a school that wants talented musicians. The question is,

DO YOU GOT THE GUTS?
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
overrated
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
did u see the ads on UG?
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
Well there is currently a 5 week overnight/day camp taking place. My drummer friend got free tuition cause he is god-like.
Quote by SeEsAw12
a barrel of rum and a chest full of me booty

PIRATES THREAD CROSSOVER!
YARR!
I am Jesus...Lord of Chinese Food!
Quote by SeEsAw12
**** man!! U.S.A NEVER WON ON THAT SHOW!

That should tell you something about us.

Ahem*BIGMAC*Ahem.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
That should tell you something about us.

Ahem*BIGMAC*Ahem.

If anything that should prove we have the biggest guts out there.

Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Is a sham.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by ScottElwood
If anything that should prove we have the biggest guts out there.

that looks like my uncle
Quote by Mockstairwell
overrated

why do you say that?
Quote by Dimefan69
So i have to start thinking about college and i was wondering if there was anything i can do to help getting a scholarship to this school. any ideas?

but in all seriousness.

You do not need to go to berklee to earn the title of great musician

a community college can offer the same courses if your teacher is cool enough.

it's not about how big the school is, it's about how big your dreams are and how high you're willing to fly
Quote by SeEsAw12
but in all seriousness.

it's not about how big the school is, it's about how big your dreams are and how high you're willing to fly

I am inspired.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by SeEsAw12
but in all seriousness.

All hail Dr. Music Luther King, Jr. and his incredible speech of inspiring words of wisdom about music.
Quote by SeEsAw12
but in all seriousnessah!

You do not need to go to berklee to earn the title of great musicianah!

a community college can offer the same courses if your teacher is cool enoughah!

it's not about how big the school isah!, it's about how big your dreams areah! and how high you're willing to flyah!

Fix'd. Everyone knows that you can't be an inspirational speaker without adding AH! to the end of every clause.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Cianyx
Now he sounds like Bob Marley

Bob marley was pretty inspirational.
no sig for joo
Quote by Dimefan69

How old are you?

Assuming that you're just getting ready to enter high-school, take all the music classes you can. (Band, steel drums, whatever else you have) and when you're eligible (if your school has it) take a music theory class. Sign up for the jazz band. You also need to be able to:

Play all your major scales.
Play all your modes of major.
Play all your modes of minor.
Play all your diatonic majors and minor chords.
Play a wide number of scales such as: chromatic, whole tone, pentatonic, blues, altered diatonics, diminished scale and be able to play them in all CAGED forms (if applicable).
Be able to quickly make and extend chords (i.e: adding 9s, 11s, 13s etc.)
Be fluent in your theory
Know how to sing
LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE PIANO (and by play, I mean be able to sit down and sight-read any moderately challenging piece of music

Be able to sight-read: a jazz lead sheet, a classical piece, and anything else you can think of.

Be well versed in your jazz (as in, know dozens of songs and be able to throw a chord-by-chord improvisation solo)

Be well versed in classical music (including the history, types of classical music (Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-classical, what have you.) and be able to play a variety of styles of classical.
------

As far as "rock'n'roll" and Dimebag Darrell goes, there's not that much room for it in college.

Expand your horizons and get ready for a long, long, long time of practicing.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

This thread is so much fail.

TS, if you want to get accurate, serious information, please contact me privately.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

TS, if you want to get accurate, serious information, please contact me privately.

Or read my post.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Or read my post.

Your advices are good and all, but they overshoot the question at hand. Also, a few things are not correct.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Your advices are good and all, but they overshoot the question at hand. Also, a few things are not correct.

Oh? And may you point those out.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Why don't you just call the school and ask them?
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Oh? And may you point those out.

Well first of all, your advices are a bit too idealistic. Assuming this guy is a soph or junior, he doesn't exactly have all the time and resources to do all of those by himself. A lot of what you said is what you learn IN college.

Also, classical and jazz are not mandatory at Berklee. The core curriculum is jazz and classical oriented. But as far as personal style and performance goes, it's up to the student.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by frog_friend
Why don't you just call the school and ask them?

Cuz there's a sound recognition software that only allows you to talk to them if you're able to transcribe John Petrucci shredding over the answering machine in about 5 minutes and it changes everytime you call
Quote by Xiaoxi

Can I be included in this private exchange on Music College? I imagine that for the renowned Music Colleges, the level of playing and knowledge of theory would all be fairly similar. That said, as an Australian, getting into Berklee College is unlikely, but I would like to know how to get into the Australian ones easily

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Low_End_Rocker
Can I be included in this private exchange on Music College? I imagine that for the renowned Music Colleges, the level of playing and knowledge of theory would all be fairly similar. That said, as an Australian, getting into Berklee College is unlikely, but I would like to know how to get into the Australian ones easily

Well, expectations and requirements differ from school to school, so I could only give you general advice...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, expectations and requirements differ from school to school, so I could only give you general advice...

Which is what I gave. This is according to my music teacher, a cousin who applied for a music school, and peers who are looking to study music. I'm writing a column on it now as we speak.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Xiaoxi

Better than nothing. Could you please PM the general advice? Thanks heaps.

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Which is what I gave. This is according to my music teacher, a cousin who applied for a music school, and peers who are looking to study music. I'm writing a column on it now as we speak.

The problem is, if one were to really follow through with every point in your list of goals to fulfill, one would no longer need to study music in college anymore.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana