Are crate amps any good?
The crate Blue voodoo has really cought my eye. I heard it on some youtube videos and found it to sound very good. Is this true? Can someone tell me about it?

I am looking for a new amp for metal, that is load and is very clean when it comes to heavy distortion. With 2 channels 1 that I can use for rytheme and with a foot switch I can switch to lead or boost my rytheme.

Are there any better amps for that price range?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
i've always liked crate amps' solid states. i've had 2, but i'm really not sure about their higher end models. i was looking into the blue voodoo a while ago and i've only heard good things about it
I really like my blue voodoo. I got it for 600 bucks in a blowout sale at GC, which helps. But It sounds really good. I can get heavy dist tones, bluesy twang, or anything in between. The clean channel sounds good(even playing through EMGs). It looks cool to boot.
I think the Blue Voodoo sounds really bad, it's shrill, compressed, thin and has this really buzzy tone to it. Marty Friedman used to use one.

However...

Billy Gibbons also uses them as his live amps and he makes them sound incredible. I've heard his are modded, and I've heard some modded ones sound pretty good, but the stock ones sound horrible to my ears.
Thats intresting. I think they sound great but I havent heard one in person so......and you learn something new every day. I didn't know marty used them.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Crate V series and Palominos are awesome
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
i have one&i love it.
i snagged it for 280 i think. they are easily modded amps ive heard,
i want to mod mine, but im no amp wiz when it comes to the guts of one,so i couldnt tell you how to do that. but with the right eq they sound pretty rocking me thinks.
i have my eq set for how i want my band style music to sound,but i always switch it to find some vai&satch type stuff to,it also plays great jazz/blues. if you like metal,it can do that.
im not big into metal, but i have a friend who jams out on it and he likes to pick around random metal riffs&he loves its tone. just personal preference.
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
If I buy the blue voodoo its it 600 or is it 600 for the head cuz im looking and can only find the head or cab sold seprate.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
my head was 280 used from someone i knew.
its just good deals where you can find them

Edit:mine is also the 60 watt head
so a higher wattage would cost more to others, but look for deals nonetheless

Private in the 7>6

Quote by punkMETALskater
i have one&i love it.
i snagged it for 280 i think. they are easily modded amps ive heard,
i want to mod mine, but im no amp wiz when it comes to the guts of one,so i couldnt tell you how to do that. but with the right eq they sound pretty rocking me thinks.
i have my eq set for how i want my band style music to sound,but i always switch it to find some vai&satch type stuff to,it also plays great jazz/blues. if you like metal,it can do that.
im not big into metal, but i have a friend who jams out on it and he likes to pick around random metal riffs&he loves its tone. just personal preference.

If I didn't have an eq is it clean with alot of gain. I can't explain it but if I play alot of note can you hear them all clear and not running together? Does it have its own eq like a 3band eq?

What eq do you have?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
yea it has a seperate eq for each channel,
low,mid,high settings for the gain and clean.
my amp is articulate,kinda,depends on what you play&how you have it eq'd.
when i run an eq pedal,its just some eq pedal,dod? i think.
idk its not mine. i only use it when i have band practice.
but you dont need a eq pedal to make the amp sound good. it does good on its own.

Private in the 7>6

Ehh... Long story short... I bought one used once, didn't like it at all, returned it a few days later. Don't let my 'lil story influence your opinion on the brand though.
Quote by King of King V
If I buy the blue voodoo its it 600 or is it 600 for the head cuz im looking and can only find the head or cab sold seprate.

600 for the head, Its the 150 watt one though.

ANd mine did sound shrill at first, but i found a good setting and its perfect.
I've got a Blue Voodoo 120watt head and it's beautiful IF you EQ it right, i've found it to be one of those amps that if you tweek it enough it sounds great but if you don't know what you're doing you'll get a shrill horrible noise, or scoop out the mids you won't hear anything

Also highly recomend you run a boost of some sort in the effects loop, i just run a Boss EQ pedal to just push the highs and lows just a tad and it tightens the whole thing up and gives it a new voice

Also beautiful cleans, but it's not everyones cup of tea by the comments left here so far, so if you get a chance, play before you buy
Do they make This amp anymore because I cant find it. Also when I look up the 60 watt its a combo do the make a 60 half stack?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
i have a Crate V-series 65W solid-state amp. it's pretty good.

not quite as articulate as a real valve amp, but it doesn't get too muddy or harsh like some other solid state amps i've seen/heard. it's pretty versatile and definitely a good amp to have for when your tubes are blown, as a backup for a gig, or for running stereo pedals.
its discontinued,
but they are still around
&yes the 60 watt comes as a head model.
thats what i own is the 60 watt head. its got 2 channels,2 different reverbs and an overall presence.

Private in the 7>6

If I got the 60 watt head to I need A 60 watt cab or can I get a 120 cab for it?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
any i've tried have sounded like total ass. I didn't get to crank them or spend much time with them, but if they only sound like they did when i tried them, they're horrible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never tried a bloo voodoo. But the older VC series is quite nice, british voiced, enough gain for up to old school metal.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by King of King V
Does it have a good chug to it for metal?

Alot of that depends on your PUPs and pedal setup...but just stock through my hellraiser is chugs pretty beastly. Stuff like Morbid Angel sounds godly through mine, atleast to me. Best advice: Go play one.