Sometimes my web browser will change to a different page and start telling me I have a virus and wants to perform an online scan of my computer.

I'm thinking this may be a trick.

Anything I should know?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Don't do it.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Just about every time you get a pop-up ad saying you have a virus, it is actually one of two things a.) virus/spyware/malware posing as a anti-virus, spyware, or malware program or b.) a simple scam to give you a crap program but take your money and credit card information.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
I just had a virus scan on my computer and it dosnt say anything is wrong. The popup must be fishy
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Crazed Shredder
I just had a virus scan on my computer and it dosnt say anything is wrong. The popup must be fishy

Nah really? Welcome to the 21st century, sleeping beauty.
I just got that one this site too. Just hit alt+F4 a couple of times and open everything back up. It's UG's ****ty advertising, but, they need the money.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

do it

you won't ever have to worry. that pop up thing is ALSO just spam, and is in fact a result of spyware (its true). it poses as an anti-virus but its in fact just spyware in disguise. i've seen it outside UG so it's not just UG advertising.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I just got that one this site too. Just hit alt+F4 a couple of times and open everything back up. It's UG's ****ty advertising, but, they need the money.

This.

It has been complained about many times in the Advertising Complaints sections of the forums. I'm pretty sure it's being worked on.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Uh it's your browser trying to alert you to a problem your own scan my have missed.

Do the smart thing and download the scan.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
http://www.getfirefox.com/
http://adblockplus.org/en/

Quote by sneyob
Uh it's your browser trying to alert you to a problem your own scan my have missed.

Do the smart thing and download the scan.
Don't listen to this guy.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

do it

you won't ever have to worry. that pop up thing is ALSO just spam, and is in fact a result of spyware (its true)
OS X protects you from ads posing as anti-virus, when they are just trying to scam you? Cool. Does Apple pay someone to stand by your side when you use the computer to make sure you don't do anything stupid?
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jul 19, 2009,
'Twas JK
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by Masonpwiley

OS X protects you from ads posing as anti-virus, when they are just trying to scam you? Cool. Does Apple pay someone to stand by your side when you use the computer to make sure you don't do anything stupid?

you don't get viruses in the first place, and as long as you're on safari or firefox you don't get the pop up
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

do it

Ever heard of a Mac gamer? Thought not.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
its called a browser hijacker, google it.

i recommend the best antivirus out there, nod32. as for free av programs, avg's trial is pretty good.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by benjy118
Ever heard of a Mac gamer? Thought not.

you don't know if TS is a gamer. you know computer's do have other purposes right? i made a ****in joke and now all the PC fanboys are going to jump down my throat. grow up, it was a joke. move on.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you don't know if TS is a gamer. you know computer's do have other purposes right? i made a ****in joke and now all the PC fanboys are going to jump down my throat. grow up, it was a joke. move on.

I'm just going to jump in right now, I would jump down Mac user's throats if every thread I go to about a computor there's sum Mac fanboy advertising shit, it gets annoying. I have used Macs and I personally don't like them. I also don't get why every Mac user I've met in real life has their head up their ass about having a Mac.
Last edited by Lord Mudkipz at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you don't get viruses in the first place, and as long as you're on safari or firefox you don't get the pop up
Macs CAN get viruses. And both safari and firefox are available on Windows, so how will a Mac help protect you from fake antivirus scams?

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I'm not a "PC" fanboy. Your precious Mac is also a Personal Computer by the way. I'm not a Windows fanboy. I just hate when people act like OS X is the best thing sinse sliced bread, and they are superior beings because they have a Mac.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Macs CAN get viruses. And both safari and firefox are available on Windows, so how will a Mac help protect you from fake antivirus scams?

IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE

Quote by Lord Mudkipz
I'm just going to jump in right now, I would jump down Mac user's throats if every thread I go to about a computor there's sum Mac fanboy advertising shit, it gets annoying. I have used Macs and I personally don't like them. I also don't get why every Mac user I've met in real life has their head up their ass about having a Mac.

IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE

god you people are unbelievable. how do you even know that i own a mac? that's what i thought.

EDIT:

Quote by Masonpwiley

I'm not a "PC" fanboy. Your precious Mac is also a Personal Computer by the way. I'm not a Windows fanboy. I just hate when people act like OS X is the best thing sinse sliced bread, and they are superior beings because they have a Mac.

IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE

have you guys figured it out yet from the last 3 times that i said it or do i need to tell you that "IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE" a few more times?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE
I retract any comments I might have made against you. Real Mac fanboys exist that would seriously say that, so it's impossible to tell that it was a joke over the internet.
I agree with most of the people in this thread. Use another internet browser besides IE (I use firefox) and if you already have an anti-virus program, scan using it. I would however reccomend for the future, Kaspersky Internet Security. Out of all the anti-virus programs I'v e used, it is the best
Quote by lceman13
The amount of ignorance in this thread is amazing.
If consequences dictate, it's only wrong when we get caught - Tool
Quote by Masonpwiley
I retract any comments I might have made against you. Real Mac fanboys exist that would seriously say that, so it's impossible to tell that it was a joke over the internet.

This, I've seen countless threads on a bunch of websites and a few in my short time here where Mac fanboys tell someone with a problem on Windows to get a Mac.
What antivirus are you using? It sucks.

What Browser are you using? IE = ****.

Reboot in safemode and do a scan with AVG, or whatever you use.

If all else fails take your problem that no one cares about to the computer forum.
a little lost.....
Quote by Davo Ownz
What antivirus are you using? It sucks.

What Browser are you using? IE = ****.

Reboot in safemode and do a scan with AVG, or whatever you use.

If all else fails take your problem that no one cares about to the computer forum.

I see nothing wrong with using IE, it's just elitists acting like their browser is the superior one. Firefox is not faster than IE, I downloaded it and it was actually slower than IE. It is also not safter than IE, if you have a good virus scanner and IE 8 then you're on the same playing field of Firefox
Last edited by Lord Mudkipz at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
I see nothing wrong with using IE, it's just elitists acting like their browser is the superior one. Firefox is not faster than IE, I downloaded it and it was actually slower than IE. It is also not safter than IE, if you have a good virus scanner and IE 8 then you're on the same playing field of Firefox

anyone will tell you that firefox (even the newly updated safari) is infinitely better than IE. the fact that you stated that you need to have a good virus scanner to get on the same playing field as firefox means it isn't as secure. IE recieves pop ups, Firefox does not, neither does safari.
Quote by Lord Mudkipz

That post is so full of fail, ask pretty much the whole of UG which is faster and you'll see,
firefox is vastly more personal and has Adblock plus.

Also pay attention to the enlarged writing.
a little lost.....
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
anyone will tell you that firefox (even the newly updated safari) is infinitely better than IE. the fact that you stated that you need to have a good virus scanner to get on the same playing field as firefox means it isn't as secure. IE recieves pop ups, Firefox does not, neither does safari.

They just don't have it on the right settings if they still get popups on IE. Firefox pisses me off.
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
They just don't have it on the right settings if they still get popups on IE. Firefox pisses me off.

you probably just haven't got used to it. as the other dude said it's also more personal. majority of people i know of on this site use firefox because its just a little bit better in every way. personally i use Safari which is a nice midpoint between IE and FF
Quote by Davo Ownz
That post is so full of fail, ask pretty much the whole of UG which is faster and you'll see,
firefox is vastly more personal and has Adblock plus.

Also pay attention to the enlarged writing.

Oooo typo, big deal, I could care less what an entire website says it's my personal experience and one website isn't going to change what has happened in my personal experience. A shitload of users on here say mainstream music is terrible, it's not going to change anything on my side.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you probably just haven't got used to it. as the other dude said it's also more personal. majority of people i know of on this site use firefox because its just a little bit better in every way. personally i use Safari which is a nice midpoint between IE and FF

I just didn't like it that's it. I'm usually fine with not liking something but it's when people shove shit down my throat saying "you have to follow what we say!!!!!111" is when stuff begins to piss me off.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

do it

you won't ever have to worry. that pop up thing is ALSO just spam, and is in fact a result of spyware (its true). it poses as an anti-virus but its in fact just spyware in disguise. i've seen it outside UG so it's not just UG advertising.

GTFO with your overpriced piece of white metal.

But the other part he said is pretty much true.

The spyware poses as antivirus and asks you to pay $60 to get the "antispy" software, which can only be paid by credit card. Then the pop-ups stop, but of course you're screwed because a) you didn't have to pay to remove it and b) you just gave them your freaking credit card number to use.

All you really have to do is not click on it, and if you already did then you just have to find the temp file and remove it. What I did the last time I got it was let the thing pop up to see the name, then Ctrl+Alt+Delete and find the .exe of the little program. Then I typed in the name on Spybot Search and Destroys file shredder and never had a problem again.
Quote by Lord Mudkipz
Pisses you off? How? Spend a while to get used to it, download some addons, and don't use IE for a while. You will soon stop wanting to use IE if you do this.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Pisses you off? How? Spend a while to get used to it, download some addons, and don't use IE for a while. You will soon stop wanting to use IE if you do this.

I did try using it for awhile, I uninstalled and redownloaded it 3 times, I don't like it, and it makes me hate it more when people try and force it on me, I like IE better.
Quote by Masonpwiley

I personally like Chrome. Very quick because it's lightweight and simple. Firefox has some nice customizable stuff, but I actually like Opera better than Firefox. And I like Chrome better than Opera.

But that's just me.

And another thing, you actually don't really even need antivirus if you have a virus scan and a decent knowledge of computers. All I use is AVG and my computer's been clean for the six months I've had it.
Quote by dudius
GTFO with your overpriced piece of white metal.

this again huh? I guess i better click my Billy Mays key again...

IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE

does anyone else need me to clarify it while i'm still browsing this thread?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

no offense or anything but were you expecting anything less from the pit monkeys?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by dudius
I personally like Chrome. Very quick because it's lightweight and simple. Firefox has some nice customizable stuff, but I actually like Opera better than Firefox. And I like Chrome better than Opera.

But that's just me.

And another thing, you actually don't really even need antivirus if you have a virus scan and a decent knowledge of computers. All I use is AVG and my computer's been clean for the six months I've had it.

I use chrome too!

And AVG is good, are you using the free one? Because I have license keys for AVG pro till 2018. Send me a Pm if you are interested.
a little lost.....
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
this again huh? I guess i better click my Billy Mays key again...

IT WAS A FUCKING JOKE

does anyone else need me to clarify it while i'm still browsing this thread?

Sorry dude, I posted without reading the whole thread.