Page 1 of 2
I think it's subjective
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
you couldnt search the hundreds of threads already made on this?
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I have a neck thru and I dont think it does?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
It does, neck thru and set necks add sustain cus where the necks not separately bolted to the body, youre not loosing sustain by the vibrations carrying thru the wood.

Its not really subjective, its more common knowledge
Quote by Metlhead443

Take it easy he just joined last month.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by SilverchairFan
It does, neck thru and set necks add sustain cus where the necks not separately bolted to the body, youre not loosing sustain by the vibrations carrying thru the wood.

Uh..no. Good bolt-ons have more sustain because of the lack of glue, however it is negligible.
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I don't want to get into it. Fights beak out in these kinda threads. I read one saying bolt-on give more but its not noticable to the human ear. yeah.......
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by SilverchairFan

No, a properly done bolt on has the most sustain because you can tighten the neck so it will transfer vibrations better than a set neck or neck through. Also the glue used in set necks or neck throughs actually reduces sustain. Not to any noticeable extent though. If you get 3 high end guitars, one of each type, with similar specs, you really shouldnt be able to notice much difference, if its even noticeable.
A neck-through only has more sustain if the wood used for the neck and body core is a single piece of high-density wood. Luckily most neck-throughs use a single piece of rock maple for the neck and core, and rock maple sustains very well, which is why neck-through guitars often seem to sustain well.

However if you were to replace that maple with say, alder or ash, it woudl sustain very badly. Not because alder or ash are bad woods, just because neck-through is a very bad construction design; it really does rely on that main wood being basically either rock maple or very good quality mahogany. Otherwise the neck-through design actually hurts sustain an awufl lot.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
A neck-through only has more sustain if the wood used for the neck and body core is a single piece of high-density wood. Luckily most neck-throughs use a single piece of rock maple for the neck and core, and rock maple sustains very well, which is why neck-through guitars often seem to sustain well.

However if you were to replace that maple with say, alder or ash, it woudl sustain very badly. Not because alder or ash are bad woods, just because neck-through is a very bad construction design; it really does rely on that main wood being basically either rock maple or very good quality mahogany. Otherwise the neck-through design actually hurts sustain an awufl lot.

Pretty much what I was going to say, only much, much better worded. It really comes down to the wood almost if not more than the construction.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
So where does a multipiece-highquality-neckthrough stand?
I'm guessing less sustain and different tone because of a lot of glue and different woods, right?
I played a neck-thru Les Paul Axcess last week and it had really good sustain, considering it was Floyd-equipped.
scientifically proven: NO!... now use the searchbar and look for the other threads about this were its explained beautifully and disscused through pages and pages.

the conclusion: ITS ALL IN THE FINGERRSSSSSS
Quote by just17n8
scientifically proven: NO!... now use the searchbar and look for the other threads about this were its explained beautifully and disscused through pages and pages.

the conclusion: ITS ALL IN THE FINGERRSSSSSS

This. I know a guy that can make a Telecaster sustain like a PRS with a sustainer pedal.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
More sustain or not, I probably wouldn't ever own a set neck guitar simply because I don't like painted necks and just about every neck through guitars I've ever seen have painted necks.

If it was possible to get a neck through without a painted neck I might consider one, but the cost of it probably wouldn't be worth it. Plus with a bolt on you can easily change out the neck or body if one or the other gets damaged.

The bottom line? Bolt-on's FTW.
Quote by p o e
This. I know a guy that can make a Telecaster sustain like a PRS with a sustainer pedal.

the guy who told me my first chords on the guitar could hold a note while i took a bite of a sandwich and swallow it... doesn't seem that long but you try it... its all practice and experience
Quote by just17n8
the guy who told me my first chords on the guitar could hold a note while i took a bite of a sandwich and swallow it... doesn't seem that long but you try it... its all practice and experience

Seriously or are you referencing Spinal Tap?

Quote by Rick540
More sustain or not, I probably wouldn't ever own a set neck guitar simply because I don't like painted necks and just about every neck through guitars I've ever seen have painted necks.

Set neck and neck through are two different construction types. On topic: To my ears, my neck through Carvin sustains better than my bolt on Strat. I personally think (having done no research at all) that this is mostly because of the trem on my Strat. My Carvin has string through body construction.
Way to many variables to say a neck thru WILL sustain more. I have 2 neck thrus 1 a carvin and the other 1 I built. They are completely different in tone and sustain. The carvin is 4 pieces a maple neck/core, alder wings and a quilted maple top. The other is a carvin maple neck w mahogany wings. Both are fixed bridge humbucker guitars w locking tuners. The big difference is gonna be paint, 1 is painted and clear coated, the other is just tung oil over wood. The painted guitar seems muffled compared to the tung oil 1 which also sustains better.
I actually prefer bolt on. I think that wood to wood contact will give more sustain then Wood to glue to wood.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Hard-tails sustain longer. The neck construction is less important then the bridge construction.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
And of course the best way to increase sustain... add ass loads of gain!
Quote by Vlasco
And of course the best way to increase sustain... add ass loads of gain!

or install a sustainer pickup like i will be doing.
Quote by Metlhead443

LoL then you would all wine about him rezzing an old thread :P

But on topic it all just depends on the wood quality, amp quality, PU quality/height. I have a couple of what some would say as very fine amps a JCM 800 and a mesa/boogie triple rectifier, you dont notice hardly any difference in sustain between my guitars with bolt on, neck through, set neck. I find the only difference is the total tone of the guitar if anything not so much sustain.
Quote by DimeLvR
LoL then you would all wine about him rezzing an old thread :P

But on topic it all just depends on the wood quality, amp quality, PU quality/height. I have a couple of what some would say as very fine amps a JCM 800 and a mesa/boogie triple rectifier, you dont notice hardly any difference in sustain between my guitars with bolt on, neck through, set neck. I find the only difference is the total tone of the guitar if anything not so much sustain.

yes because it's a topic beaten to death a million and one times and doesn't need to revived. if he reads the threads then he'll never need to make threads like these or revive dead threads.
Unless he has an additional question. Then he is just screwed.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
or install a sustainer pickup like i will be doing.

No, what you want is volume.

Of balance gain + volume to suit where you are playing.
My guitars can sustain [NOT feedbacking, but sustaining whatever I played] for ever.
If I hit an open note and leave it, it will sing for eternity.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
As long as we're on the subject of sustainers, does anyone know if they make single-coil sized ones? All the ones I've seen are hums.

Quote by SilverchairFan

"Baaaaahhh . . . Baaaah Bahhh . . ."

Did anyone else just hear a sheep?
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Some do some don't.

/thread.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yes i am getting one. sustainiac http://www.sustainiac.com/st-pro.htm and also fernandes fsk401

Wonderful, wonderful. Now if it were passive it'd be perfect...suppose it's worth it for someone who likes feedback as much as I do though.

Quote by SilverchairFan
Agree to disagree, I guess.

I'll agree that you disagree with the studies that show you're wrong.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by necrosis1193
Seriously or are you referencing Spinal Tap?

a little bit of both
Quote by David Collins
That sustain is caused by feeding back.

Which brings us to what often confuses these discussions, which is differing definitions people use for "sustain" while seldom making a distinction between the two.

There is "sustain", which is simply a factor of damping in the guitar, and how long it takes for a not to decay without any significant amplification or feedback.

Then there is sustain caused by controlled feedback, which can actually be increased by design factors and materials which may actually decrease the natural sustain of an instrument. More resonant woods can sympathetically vibrate more easily, and in turn be more effective to re-drive the string, creating an potentially infinite controlled feedback loop.

Yet another factor that often makes these discussions so confusing, and invites so many contrary opinions.

I meant sustain that is not feedbacking harmonically, etc. [which is what I meant by not feedbacking - I should have made that clearer but I thought everyone would know what I mean. Of course it is feedbacking, otherwise it wouldn't sustain ]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by STABxYOU
I'll agree that you disagree with the studies that show you're wrong.

Lol, pwnd.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Page 1 of 2