Page 1 of 2
Im not looking for people to tell me about how much better a tube amp would be but from what you have hear or personal experience, how would the mg100hfx handle in a metalcore/hardcore situation?
Prepare for flaming... Godspeed TS.

I don't like them all that much. The 15 watt is decent at a low volume. I hated the 30 and 50 watt ones though cause it sounded worse when it was louder and they're basically the same amp with different wattage and FX.

And why do you need 100watts?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 19, 2009,
I have the 30. It's not TOO bad, but you could get something better for the price. Well actually...It sucks hard friend.
Quote by JayT44
Prepare for flaming... Godspeed TS.

I don't like them all that much. The 15 watt is decent at a low volume. I hated the 30 and 50 watt ones though cause it sounded worse when it was louder and they're basically the same amp with different wattage and FX.

And why do you need 100watts?

I am prepared for flaming lol, and I was just looking at the 100 watt because I like halfstacks and it will be doing decent sized club gigs, which probably would be fine with a 50-75 watt but like I said I just like half stacks
Quote by jimmyb1014
I am prepared for flaming lol, and I was just looking at the 100 watt because I like halfstacks and it will be doing decent sized club gigs, which probably would be fine with a 50-75 watt but like I said I just like half stacks

Prepare for even more flaming.

EDIT: By the way, my guitar teacher does pretty big gigs and sessions with a 12 watt Mojave Coyote and uses clean and dirty sounds. You don't need a 50-75 watt amp for club use.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by jimmyb1014

A great man once said...
"DON'T BUY IT. FOR TEH LOVE OF GOD DON'T BUY IT" - Alf talkig to some noob about a spider. That would apply nicely here... Why the hell would you want an MG for gigging? What is your budget, genres, and amp needs and I'm sure someone could recommend an amazingly better amp. You don't NEED 100 watts... Let alone a 100watt MG.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
A great man once said...
"DON'T BUY IT. FOR TEH LOVE OF GOD DON'T BUY IT" - Alf talkig to some noob about a spider. That would apply nicely here... Why the hell would you want an MG for gigging? What is your budget, genres, and amp needs and I'm sure someone could recommend an amazingly better amp. You don't NEED 100 watts... Let alone a 100watt MG.

metalcore/deathcore and I have exactly $650 to spend
You could get a VK 1X12 and swap the speaker and get an OD. Or you might get lucky and find a used Boogie MK III combo.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Wow jimmyb1014 this thread is like a godsend for me. I am in an identical situation as yourself. Metalcore is my primary genre (All That Remains type stuff) and I have been sizing up this amp for quite some time and am on the cusp of buying it.

Is everyone in this thread of the opinion that the wattage of the amp is unneccessarily large and that that is the only downside to this amp, or is there something else I should know before buying this?
Quote by jimmyb1014
metalcore/deathcore and I have exactly $650 to spend

Also do you use pedals? If not You can get a Peavey Vypyr Tube Combo (if you like modeling amps). The 120w is $650 and the 60w is $450 which would save you a ****load of money and would be plenty loud for your needs.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
you can find a single recto for that price. Seriously i found a single recto head for 500 at gc, and sold it for 700 on craigslist this week.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Wow jimmyb1014 this thread is like a godsend for me. I am in an identical situation as yourself. Metalcore is my primary genre (All That Remains type stuff) and I have been sizing up this amp for quite some time and am on the cusp of buying it.

Is everyone in this thread of the opinion that the wattage of the amp is unneccessarily large and that that is the only downside to this amp, or is there something else I should know before buying this?

It sounds like complete ****. Avoid it and go with one of the suggestions I made in my last post.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Dont buy a valveking. Try a solidstate randall something like a rh serie
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr

Yes that is unnecessarily large. Have you ever played the MG100? If you liked it then i would guess you haven't played many amps You can find way better amps for the same price.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
B52 AT112, $350 I think, the ONLY tube amp I've ever played, kicks the MG's ass so hard its not even funny
And also I've heard that the B-52 At-112 has a RIDICULOUS amount of gain and is perfect for metal/heavy metal. It's only $350. It's a 60 watt TUBE amp ... and tubes are significantly louder than SSs in case you didn't know.

EDIT: Damn beaten to it ^
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
If you really want to find a half stack, you might need to stretch your budget, if you really, really need one... Also, try out amps at local stores, and especially try new. You never know what you'll find laying around.
Quote by Hcmanu
Dont buy a valveking. Try a solidstate randall something like a rh serie

thats another one I was looking at but everyone seems to hate the distortion. I actually have a boss metalcore pedal so that might be able to fix that
Quote by TubeAmp89
B52 AT112, $350 I think, the ONLY tube amp I've ever played, kicks the MG's ass so hard its not even funny

I didn't think of that one. This would fit your needs the best. I'd go with this for sure over the VK, Vypyr, and especially the MG.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by JayT44
Yes that is unnecessarily large. Have you ever played the MG100? If you liked it then i would guess you haven't played many amps You can find way better amps for the same price.

I havent played the MG but im not gonna lie I really havent played too many amps period. the only tube amp ive ever played was a hughes and kettner switchblade at my old guitar instructors house
Wow, I'm reading review on this AT-112 and it does sound like a beast. The only beef anyone has with it is that it doesn't have some effects, but I really couldn't care any less about effects since I would probably end up using my multi-effects pedal anyways.

Can anyone think of anything that the MG series does better than this amp that could make me reconsider?
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Wow, I'm reading review on this AT-112 and it does sound like a beast. The only beef anyone has with it is that it doesn't have some effects, but I really couldn't care any less about effects since I would probably end up using my multi-effects pedal anyways.

Can anyone think of anything that the MG series does better than this amp that could make me reconsider?

Trust me, absolutely nothing. The B-52 is a quality amp; I would support your incumbent (plz?) decision to get something along the lines of that.
The MG is a bad amp dude. Get the B52. What effects do you need for metal anyway? Except maybe Reverb and a bit of delay...I don't use anything beyond that...
Get the B52.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Wow, I'm reading review on this AT-112 and it does sound like a beast.

Don't pay attention to those reviews... Come here if you need advice from people with actual experience with more amps. Even The reviews for Spiders are ridiculous.

Quote by 6StringSlaughtr

Nope no one can... because it sucks.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Wow, ok, the more I look at this thing the more I like it. I was really leaning towards a larger amp, but this thing is 60 watts, I'm never going to need more than that. Thank you all for changing my mind so quickly.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Wow, ok, the more I look at this thing the more I like it. I was really leaning towards a larger amp, but this thing is 60 watts, I'm never going to need more than that. Thank you all for changing my mind so quickly.

60 watts is still ear crushing loud
Quote by mexican_shred
60 watts is still ear crushing loud

And it's a tube...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by jimmyb1014
thats another one I was looking at but everyone seems to hate the distortion. I actually have a boss metalcore pedal so that might be able to fix that

it doesnt matter if they don't like it. If you do, then go for it.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by JayT44
And it's a tube...

even if it was ss, it would still be effing loud. Just wouldn't have the clean head room the tube has.
Dude, I have a Peavey Classic 30 and it is loud as f*ck. It's only 30 watts. Tube amps sound around twice as loud as an SS amp of the same wattage because they can pick up frequecies that SS amps just can't.

Trust me (and almost everyone else in this thread), GET A TUBE AMP!
Do half the people in here realise that the MG4s are a lot different to the previous MGs?

Having said that, they're still not very good, and they're still overpriced. I second the B52.
I hate when people come on and say "don't try to tell me to get a tube amp" and "i liEk teH haLFstacKzoRz!!!1!".

It clearly illustrates that the only reason they want a particular amp is because of how it looks. You are aware that music is 100% sound right?

On top of which, if you "just like halfstacks" there are plenty of better lookiung ones out there than a Marshall MG, which looks as bad as it sounds. A Boss Metalcore pedal is hardly going to help either.
Quote by greggybhoy
I hate when people come on and say "don't try to tell me to get a tube amp" and "i liEk teH haLFstacKzoRz!!!1!".

It clearly illustrates that the only reason they want a particular amp is because of how it looks. You are aware that music is 100% sound right?

+1

TS, cheers for at least proving you've got a shred of maturity by looking into the B-52 combo
A B-52, Bugera 6262/6260, Bugera 333(XL) will all do the trick, approximately 78 times to 96 times better than any MG.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah, check out some bugeras and used Peaveys as well.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by jimmyb1014

If I were in a club and there was an MG or Spyder on stage, I'd leave right there.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You say you have $650? Well this is perfect. A Randall RM50 with the SL+ and XTC modules is on ebay for that price. It is a really great amp. I have the 212 version (discontinued) and it is awesome. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet b/c of bad power tubes, but i have heard clips and everything. Its looks amazing and sounds amazing (unlike the MG). The B-52 is nice, but you should hop on this deal. This will be WAY better than the B-52, which is still a great amp. Here are some clips that may change your mind.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

RM50: http://www.dcmusicstore.com/Randall-RM50B-Amplifier

I know ebay links aren't allowed, but please don't warn me for this RM50 I'm trying to help the TS.

I here great things about these modules. You can listen to the clips for yourself and decide. But if you really don't like them, you can sell them and get a new module for $200 instead of an amp for way more.

You can also put different tubes in it to get different wattage levels for different situations!! and you can do it yourself b/c of the tube bias section. You don't need to take it to a tech and spend a sh*t load of money; you can do it yourself.

JJ6V6 will give you ~25W
any EL34/6L6 will give you ~ 50W
any 6550 will give you ~ 80W

The amp also has a parallel and series FX loop. Parallel is for time based fx (delay, chorus, flange, reverb, etc.). Series if for everything else (OD, distortion, noise gate).

If you want an extremely versatile amp that is good for any situation, then this is your amp. You can play any genre through this amp depending on the module you have. You can also get the modules mod'd by some nice people on the MTS forum. Pete Turely (okstrat), Anthony (Salvation), David Friedman (Jaded Faith?). You can also buy and sell MTS stuff on the forum through their classifieds. Most everyone on there are reliable and friendly.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

I can't begin to tell you how much you need to jump on this deal. You won't be disappointed. It may be more expensive than the B-52, but it is a better amp. Retail for all this is like $1400. Jump on this deal and let me know how you like it

and btw. Those modules are high gain modules. If you want a great clean modules as well, look into the Blackface. You might be able to get some clean out of one of them, but if its not enough, then the blackface is the way to go.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 19, 2009,
I agree with the B-52 idea, seems just right for you, and a great amp, youll also have some cash left over for effects and stuff
Page 1 of 2