So, Mum's friend gave me a free guitar that her son hasn't used for ages and he's moved out. It's not as good as my Ibanez SAS36FM, it's a Ibanez GRX or what ever. Missing the 3 highest (pitch) strings, but nothing big. Just buy new strings. So the question I have for you is:

Should I sell my SAS36FM and spend the money (or some of it) on an amp, and keep the GRX?

I'm open to any suggestions, and by the way. I have a "Silvertone" little ****ty practice amp that I got for free because the on/off button is stuck on. I'm not complaining, it sounds better than my bass amp for guitars and it was free so I was pleased.

Click here for specs, I think it's the same guitar...

And a pic (before I've got to clean it up) and the mark down the bottom aren't scratches. That's a sticker mark, can fix it up easily to. The fret board looks way worse, it actually feels nice and is evenly colored. My camera makes guitars look way worse than they are haha. Plus I wasn't really thinking when I took the picture and under-exposed it and had to lighten it up in photoshop so that kinda made it look worse. Anyway..
id keep it as a spare.
tune it different than your main guitar it would be easier than tuneing over and over again lol

thats just my opinion tho =)
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
I'd keep both of your guitars dude, it always nice to have more than one. You'll probably want to get some polish or some dr. ducks axwax for the fretboard to make sure it doesnt dry out too bad.

This would proabably be a fairly nice guitar with new pickups in it. Keep em both, and saveup to buy a new amp. You'll be much happier in the long run.
Quote by Vypor
I'd keep both of your guitars dude, it always nice to have more than one. You'll probably want to get some polish or some dr. ducks axwax for the fretboard to make sure it doesnt dry out too bad.

This would proabably be a fairly nice guitar with new pickups in it. Keep em both, and saveup to buy a new amp. You'll be much happier in the long run.

thats exactly wut i think
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Keep it, you can never have enough equipment.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
custimize it
put some better pups on it and change the pickguard.
and possibly if you like it enough sell your old one and get a better amp
Okay, I'll keep it. Does anyone wanna recommend me some pickups, something that suits hardcore/punk stuff and hopefully still do other things like RATM and music a bit softer than hardcore I guess.

And would local guitar shops sell pick guards for it?
You know that guitar is worth like 200 dollars? It's not worth selling your guitar, just keep em.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
That looks like an older version of the GRX20 (my guitar LOL.) I didn't put better pickups on mine because I was already planning on getting a much better guitar, but I personally like JBs as they are very versatile. I don't think you could get matching pickguards at your local shop, but maybe on ebay.

If I were you, I would mod the crap out of it . I'm likely to do that to my own when I have time and spare money.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
keep it as a backup for doing gigs later on. It's a nice vintage ibanez =)
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
Okay, I'll keep it. Does anyone wanna recommend me some pickups, something that suits hardcore/punk stuff and hopefully still do other things like RATM and music a bit softer than hardcore I guess.

And would local guitar shops sell pick guards for it?

New amp first. It will help a lot more than new pickups.
I have played those guitars before. Even my Mesa Boogie couldn´t make the pickups sound half decent. I think either one he gets will help pretty equally. I vote new amp in this case simply because it is such a low end guitar and he will likely want to get a better one so an amp would last him longer.
I already have an ibanez SAS36FM which is easily a better guitar, so yeah. I am currently saving for an amp. I really do need to get a better one. I probably will just keep this in drop D and as a back up in the future. That will maybe save my ass one day and should save me time.
Quote by SOADriff
keep it as a backup for doing gigs later on. It's a nice vintage ibanez =)

yeah i don't think it's a vintage ibanez at all.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

Haha neither do I, it's not new. But it's probably not even 5 years old yet.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

not at all hahahah It's just the $150 budget model. At least it's better than equivalent squiers/epiphones.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
To answer your question about pickups however, a common choice among metal musicians is either an EMG 81/85 set or a Seymor Duncan Blackout set. Both sets are active humbuckers, and can both be modded to run 18volts for added tone and clarity.

I agree with everyone else on getting a new amp first. Focus on your current set up now, and just have this one there ready for you to mod or what not when you have the time and money.

Dont neglect it though, well anymore than its already been neglected. String it back up and wax it down, then case it or hang it up until you feel like incorporating it into your playing.
Slap in a Duncan JB/59 combo.
Or passive EMG's. Or whatever you want.
EMG-ZW... SH-8 Invaders.... etc....