You can get a pretty good interface in the form of the M-Audio Fast Track for $60 right now from GC. Guitar Rig 3 works great with it, but I've only been able to get it to play live through it, never record, so I'm not sure how to go about that. You could always get a cheap dynamic mic and hook it into the XLR port though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Well, um, alright then. What's your budget for the hardware aspect?

As for free programs, I heard of one but I can't remember it's name. I know it was a tux pun though.

Aye, it's a good recording interface, though be aware that running the M-Audio into it you'll jsut get the guitars sound, no distortion, no flavouring of the amp.

Get you an M-Audio Audiophile card for 100 bucks. Then if you know where to look you can get an unlocked copy of Pro Tools M-Powered. If you don't want to go through the trouble and expense of miking an amp, get a copy of Guitar Rig. This can also be had if you know where to look. For drums, get a cheap touch sensitive MIDI controller and a copy of Superior drummer which can be found easily as well. A good set of studio monitors help, but they're not necessary.

I'm by no means a master of Pro Tools, but I learned all the basics by just watching a few videos. The more you use it the easier it gets.
Reaper is a great program (It has an eternal trial, which works 100%)
and there's a lot of free VSTs (amp models and such)
Just get some good hardware and..
make sure you got good speakers!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I use a sounge forger device to record the sounds and wire my amp into the back of my computer using an auxilary cable, its the cheapest way.
I use a software recording program, like acid pro, vegas, sonar,...
I install a microphone, and i put it near the speaker. Then, i just clikc record on the software program and i start playing. The Quality of the sound is pretty good.