Hey, after getting a guitar for free with 3 broken strings I obviously need to buy some new strings. And I've never had to before, so can you please recommend me some decent strings? That aren't over priced, I dunno what kinda info would help you out but I don't use drop C or anything like that. Mostly standard, sometimes drop D. Maybe very very rarely I'll tune lower than that.
I just use Ernie Ball. For the past few sets I've used the super slinky's, .09's, in the pink package. I just switched to the greenish/yellow regular slinky .10's though. Haven't put them on yet. Long, embarrassing story....
Just get your standard set of .10s or .11s. I use D' Addario, Thomastik-Infeld and sometimes Cleartone. D' Addario should work fine for you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies for standard E and drop D. I use the Heavy bottom ones for Drop Db and D'addario exp lights for acoustic.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Want some good cheap-os....

Ernie Balls are a classic, my music shop has em all for about 7 bucks a bag. Not a bad set at all. I use Super .10's on my LP and Extra Slinky .09's on my Strat.

GHS Boomers are great too. I ran with them for a long time. But they wore fast on me, and thats just for me. I like to swap out every month or so. Thats just me of course, but I play every day, so they get beat up.

D'darriro's a good, the colored ball ends are kinda pleasing to the eye, sort of, and you can get them just about anywhere.

I've never been a fan of elixers, I think the nano-coating makes 'em squeal a bit, but Like I said, its all preference.

In your case with standard, Eb, and Drop D tunings. I may make a sudgestion.... Give Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms a try, or the GHS boomer TNT. Your bottom three will be nice and thick for the power chords, while the top three are nice and bright for the solos.

If I may, it is afterall, just a sudgestion...
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Want some good cheap-os....

Ernie Balls are a classic, my music shop has em all for about 7 bucks a bag. Not a bad set at all. I use Super .10's on my LP and Extra Slinky .09's on my Strat.

GHS Boomers are great too. I ran with them for a long time. But they wore fast on me, and thats just for me. I like to swap out every month or so. Thats just me of course, but I play every day, so they get beat up.

D'darriro's a good, the colored ball ends are kinda pleasing to the eye, sort of, and you can get them just about anywhere.

I've never been a fan of elixers, I think the nano-coating makes 'em squeal a bit, but Like I said, its all preference.

In your case with standard, Eb, and Drop D tunings. I may make a sudgestion.... Give Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms a try, or the GHS boomer TNT. Your bottom three will be nice and thick for the power chords, while the top three are nice and bright for the solos.

If I may, it is afterall, just a sudgestion...

Thanks for a great reply and the good advice. I'll probably end up getting some ernie ball hstrings, as you suggested I think I'll try out some with a thicker bottom and thinner top.
You've never replaced the strings on your other guitar? (Assuming you now have two since you've been here since February). Wow, I bet they sound dull.

Anyways, I use D' Addario .10's, I think it's got XL on the package (it does on my bass strings, not sure about the guitar ones, can't find the package), and my friend uses Ernie Ball Slinkies. Both of the strings feel and sound nice.
Quote by Alex Vik
You've never replaced the strings on your other guitar? (Assuming you now have two since you've been here since February). Wow, I bet they sound dull.

Anyways, I use D' Addario .10's, I think it's got XL on the package (it does on my bass strings, not sure about the guitar ones, can't find the package), and my friend uses Ernie Ball Slinkies. Both of the strings feel and sound nice.

Haha yeah, I have another guitar and I got it used and haven't even changed the strings on it yet either. But I haven't been playing much lately, but yes still. They really need a change, so I'll probably buy 2 sets tomorrow (if I can even afford it...)
Why doesn't anybody use coated strings, specifically Elixirs? They feel great, sound great, not to mention they last months without losing tone. I've played them all, with Ernie Ball being the absolute WORST strings I've used. Within 3 days, the strings sounded dull and they just somehow turned black. Keep in mind I do play with clean hands and I do wipe it down after every use. D'Addario's are a step above, they last relatively longer, but definitely not as long as Elixirs. GHS Boomers start sounding like a dead cow within a week or so.

I would recommend Elixir 9-42 for you, or 10-46/10-52 if you prefer 10's. Sure, they cost 10 bucks a pack, but they are totally worth it.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
Haha yeah, I have another guitar and I got it used and haven't even changed the strings on it yet either. But I haven't been playing much lately, but yes still. They really need a change, so I'll probably buy 2 sets tomorrow (if I can even afford it...)

If you have $10, you can afford it. It's not like they cost as much as bass strings (which cost $20, at least, the ones I use do).
Get some Ernie Ball regular slinkie 10-46's. END OF THREAD.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
Hey, after getting a guitar for free with 3 broken strings I obviously need to buy some new strings. And I've never had to before, so can you please recommend me some decent strings? That aren't over priced, I dunno what kinda info would help you out but I don't use drop C or anything like that. Mostly standard, sometimes drop D. Maybe very very rarely I'll tune lower than that.

If you're consatantly breaking them then you probably need a higher gauge or too change them more frequently...the longer you have strings on the more likely they'll break.

+10000 to the guy above me

I play 10's Ernie Ball's and they've never let me down, simple, effective and cheap and give great tone. I can tune down to drop C with little buzzand My LP's action is pretty low/

I see your a fellow auzzie! good to see!
They go for about $15 a pack here.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by steel337
Why doesn't anybody use coated strings, specifically Elixirs? They feel great, sound great, not to mention they last months without losing tone. I've played them all, with Ernie Ball being the absolute WORST strings I've used. Within 3 days, the strings sounded dull and they just somehow turned black. Keep in mind I do play with clean hands and I do wipe it down after every use. D'Addario's are a step above, they last relatively longer, but definitely not as long as Elixirs. GHS Boomers start sounding like a dead cow within a week or so.

I would recommend Elixir 9-42 for you, or 10-46/10-52 if you prefer 10's. Sure, they cost 10 bucks a pack, but they are totally worth it.

I understand, totay. Elixers do last, but for some reason, I feel that they screech and hiss as I slide my fingers along them. This is more an issue with my playig perhaps, and not a measure of how good or bad a set of strings are. But, in the world of guitar maintanence, strings are a personal choice, thats all.

I may give elixers a try some day, just to see if its still the way I remember.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
GHS are really good that's all i will use. haha
Pick up a pack of GHS .10, should be perfect. I know in michigan they are $5.00. Not sure if the price varies anywhere else.