I'm pretty new to amps, since most of you (by now) probably know I play a Line6 spider 3.

So I've been looking around, and I've noticed something...
There's a lot of choices.

Budget: undecided. I don't think I'll spend much over $1000

I can drive over to Guitar Center in a good 20 minutes... so that's no problem.

And there's big amps (1x12+)... and theres stacks. Now, I would assume stacks are more for gigging and big amps are for like rehearsal and smaller gigging

I was just looking at a Randal half stack and people seem to like it, a lot. But also, people seem to like this 1x12 Fender Tube Combo amp for the same price. I hear Valvekings, Marshall stacks and Blackhearts are great and flexible for almost all styles of music, including rock/metal/punk/jazz.

Typically, which one is better?
(I know Tubes > SS)

Excuse me for not posting all the right information, if anything else is missing, please do, spazz.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 19, 2009,
Post some frickin info

What's your budget? What kind of music are you playing? Where are you located? Come on, all these frickin threads with no info aren't worth crap.

You don't even tell us what amps you're looking at, just a fender and a randall. Do you realize how many frickin amps both of those companies make?

Use your brain, read the stickies, and try again.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Post some frickin info

What's your budget? What kind of music are you playing? Where are you located? Come on, all these frickin threads with no info aren't worth crap.

You don't even tell us what amps you're looking at, just a fender and a randall. Do you realize how many frickin amps both of those companies make?

Use your brain, read the stickies, and try again.

Ok, we've got what you're looking at, care to fill in the other huge gaping blanks?

I will say though, excluding the randall which I haven't played, none of those amps are very good, with the MG and frontman both being downright crap.
We need info on what you play and plan on playing with them, what major city are you closest to and if you can go used. We can't do anything without that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I live in Mounds View, Minnesota. Which is really close to St. Paul, but honestly I don't see why that matters.

I'm planning on playing many different forms of rock. So nice distortion would be a plus. I plan on buying a RP355, too.

I really want some ideas for what's decent for stacks or big amps, preferably tubes between $600-$1200. I'll check them out If I can find them at GC.
It's useful if you're willing to go used, and you still haven't said if you are. And do you need cleans?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Heads and combos they're called, with the heads sitting on the stacks and the combos being the smaller amps with the speaker included with the amplifier. I suggest you read the stickies.

For 1200 bucks there's a lot to look at. You say many types of rock, but what kind of sound are you after? What bands tones do you like (though don't necessarily want to copy)? That'll give us a starting point to recommend amps you might like the sound of.
It's funny, I like silverstein, from autumn to ashes, OLD green day, a static lullaby and I set my friends on fire (to give you a range of stuff), but the style distortion I have right now is comparable to that used on the CD, Holding a Wolf by the Ears by FATA.

Or take Silverstein and add a bit more treble. I absolutely love Silverstein's "A Shipwreck in the Sand" sound.

Some nice smooth cleans with the option of adding delay would be nice.

I am willing to buy used.

I apologize for using the wrong terms, I haven't gotten much into amps.
A used Mesa Single Rec and 2X12 would be withing your budget and should work fine.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I looked at those two things, but new. Rather spendy. I can't imagine they would be under $1000 for both used.

Unless I wasn't looking at the right stuff...
Am I looking at this for the combo?
http://www.musicpower.com/go.asp?ic=GAMBEJ-REC212&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=GAMBEJ-REC212

....and this for the head?
http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900264467
^A Used Mesa Single Rectifier can be found for around $800. As for a 2x12, just pick up an Avatar cab
Quote by Ghold125
^A Used Mesa Single Rectifier can be found for around $800. As for a 2x12, just pick up an Avatar cab

form 500-800 is the price you can find a used single. GC will sell the used ones cheap. Craigslist and ebay will too

The avatar cab or even a 1x12 mesa cab with a c90 speaker is good enough.

Im not too sure a single recto would be what you would like though. but thats just imo
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Well i can look around. I'm in no rush to buy a stack. I just want some ideas. i'll definitely look into the mesa though. Those seem to be great amps.

And like 75% of people on here use a mesa boogie...
Other 25% use spiders. Haha.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

And like 75% of people on here use a mesa boogie...
Other 25% use spiders. Haha.

Failed statement is full of fail.
Now, if you said 75% of amps on the classifieds section of HC were Mesa's, that would be pretty close.
Bringing up slightly old thread, but this is worth it.

Neil from Silverstein just did an interview and he tells every piece of gear he uses:

Silverstein Rig page

Silverstein interview

I think you'll see that you could look into an Orange (what about a tiny terror - used they go for $400) and/or a twin reverb....to get the Silverstein sound you want.