What company's make headless basses still besides Steinberger?

Are they any good?

Any opinions on headless basses in general?
In most cases, terrible balance and strings are hard to come by if they're double ball-end. Plus many of those instruments aren't made of wood. The only reputable companies making headless basses are Steinberger and Hohner. Smack anyone in the face if they mention the several-thousand dollar Warwick Nobby Meidel.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Status, Washburn, Hohner, Westone and Kubicki all make/have made headless basses, apart from Steinberger. There are probably more, though, but those were the first I could remember.
Some boutique basses (SEI, Marleaux, Lefay, basslabs, etc) have the option as well.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Zon? Status? They all make headless basses...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
headless bass opinion- they sound a little unnatural to me, but that's me. they are very cool, great travelers, but very unwoody in sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
TBH, they remind me of the worst of the 80s pop music. But if you are into pop electronic music they fit the bill.
Steinbergers are actually great basses for reggae.

On headless basses in general, there isn't a lot to say, because there's such a diversity within them. A Status Kingbass will sound completly different to a Hohner "the jack" or a Steinberger synapse, for example.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

EP out now!
IMO i hate how the necks feel, and it looks a bit douche-baggy to me.
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
Quote by badgerific
I have a hohner b2a and it's pretty decent. Plays fairly well and sounds ok, the bridge pickup sounds a bit plasticy to me though when it's on it's own.

The B2A is decent. I hate the pickups though. The passive mode is pretty bad IMO because the Pups are weak on their own.

Kramer made some aluminum necked headless basses in the 80's. I've never tried one out, but I REALLY want one, and they are pretty cheap on eBay.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
If you can find a Washburn-Status 1000 series, get one.

One of my favourite basses of all time.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by anarkee
TBH, they remind me of the worst of the 80s pop music. But if you are into pop electronic music they fit the bill.

I totally agree.

You know Jaco, of all people tried one and liked it? Sting told him about Steinbergers, and Jaco bought one.

Weird fact.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
headless bass opinion- they sound a little unnatural to me, but that's me. they are very cool, great travelers, but very unwoody in sound.

Eh?
I had a Hohner Jack V, made all of maple. Sounded pretty damn woody to me.

Quote by anarkee

Ooh, that's a bit harsh!
They're a victim of 80's pop. Once grunge, baggy, etc., had killed the clean cut 80's image stone dead (and I'm not complaining about that ), the headless basses and guitars went too. Pity that; there's alot of damn fine player's basses among them.

Quote by thefitz
In most cases, terrible balance and strings are hard to come by if they're double ball-end.

Terrible balance? Care to explain, bud? That'll be the first time I've heard that said.
Since Warwick stopped making strings for them, that's one less choice. But LaBella and Elite spring straight to mind, and there's probably others.
^ Rotosound as well
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by creepingjesus73
Terrible balance? Care to explain, bud? That'll be the first time I've heard that said.

Arg... here goes...

Steinbergers (instead of typing headless basses a thousand times) have no headstock, correct, but they don't have much of a body. The strap button on most Steinbergers are around the 21st fret. If a T-Bird dives with the button around the 17th fret, these suckers dive too. Not only have I played ones that dive, I've personally seen people have them dive on them. One guy played a 5-string fretless original Steinberger at church and he kept having to shift his body weight and grab the neck. No upper horn = poor balance. The headstock doesn't make THAT much of a difference in the weight that a complete lack of an upper horn can still retain balance.

Modern Steinbergers and newer attempts at the body design have these little arm dealies that stick out and pretend to be an upper horn. THEY balance fine. But they also totally defeat the aesthetic purpose. And they won't balance without.

And great, we've established that 3 big-ish companies make double ball-end strings. Not sure if Warwick ever did or needed to, since you didn't need double ball-end strings for the Nobby. Now, 3 out of, OK, let's say 50 string companies... and I bet that most stores keep a healthy stock of them. Especially if you play 5-string. The point is that even though... they are made, they aren't easy to track down.

Most of the original Steinybabies and the like had 0% wood on them. They were composite. So yeah, recent(er) attempts were made of wood, but the archetype was made of sythetic material. Modern ones are made of a mix of both. OK, I'll admit, THAT'S cool.

I'm sure I'm wrong on every single point in some significant way, but there it is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 20, 2009,
i learned to play on my step dads steinberger, absolutely hated it. i appreciate it a bit more now but at age 11 learning on a neck diving bass with a rather long neck means i will never like them. they look awful as well :/
Quote by thefitz
Arg... here goes...

Steinbergers (instead of typing headless basses a thousand times) have no headstock, correct, but they don't have much of a body. The strap button on most Steinbergers are around the 21st fret. If a T-Bird dives with the button around the 17th fret, these suckers dive too. Not only have I played ones that dive, I've personally seen people have them dive on them. One guy played a 5-string fretless original Steinberger at church and he kept having to shift his body weight and grab the neck. No upper horn = poor balance. The headstock doesn't make THAT much of a difference in the weight that a complete lack of an upper horn can still retain balance.

Modern Steinbergers and newer attempts at the body design have these little arm dealies that stick out and pretend to be an upper horn. THEY balance fine. But they also totally defeat the aesthetic purpose. And they won't balance without.

And great, we've established that 3 big-ish companies make double ball-end strings. Not sure if Warwick ever did or needed to, since you didn't need double ball-end strings for the Nobby. Now, 3 out of, OK, let's say 50 string companies... and I bet that most stores keep a healthy stock of them. Especially if you play 5-string. The point is that even though... they are made, they aren't easy to track down.

Most of the original Steinybabies and the like had 0% wood on them. They were composite. So yeah, recent(er) attempts were made of wood, but the archetype was made of sythetic material. Modern ones are made of a mix of both. OK, I'll admit, THAT'S cool.

I'm sure I'm wrong on every single point in some significant way, but there it is.

Ah, I see. I really genuinely hadn't heard that. It's not unexpected tho'.

I can't be the only person who lives in a rural area, and has difficulty getting anything other than Rotos or Slinkies. Therefore, I mail order for my DR's, and that also used to be the case when I needed double ball ends. As bass strings rarely break, it's just a case of ordering them when you've had enough of the dead ones.
So there's GHS, LaBella, Elites, Rotosound, and D'Addario. That's a better selection than I get in my local shop for my guitar, never mind the bass!
Well sure, but I think us city folk like the luxury of walking into a store to pick up several items and getting strings there and then.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I think Warwick makes a several-thousand dollar Warwick Nobby Meidel.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
I think Warwick makes a several-thousand dollar Warwick Nobby Meidel.

*smacks in face!*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Spaz91

IMO, they just sound wrong (the basses.)

I disagree on that.
If you're talking about Steinbergers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4joVHSwiWgM, that sounds pretty nice if you ask me.

If you're talking about headless basses in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKI8pFqWm0s That's a completely different sound, so you can't really say that all headless basses sound wrong, since there so many different basses.

EP out now!
Quote by sam_ofzo
If you're talking about headless basses in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKI8pFqWm0s That's a completely different sound, so you can't really say that all headless basses sound wrong, since there so many different basses.

Ah, I see. I've nedver heard of headless basses with normal bodies and all the one I've heard (other than in this video) have sounded like ass.

5* vid btw.