I'm getting my first electric around christmas, and I have $1000 to spend max. I need an amp AND a guitar for that amount of money. I will mainly be paying metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden)
Is this a good guitar?

Search PRS SE EG at www.rockshop.co.nz costs $649
Either one. I want a tremolo, but im not sure yet. Is 22 frets enough for Metallica solos?

I have no clue about amps. I saw a Line6 Spider 3 15
Is it horrible? (I think it might be, im not sure) I like the effects list, but does it have good distortion/overdrive for metal playing?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 19, 2009,
Ahh, the RockShop.

You're going to have to open the page in a new tab to get the actual URL, or give us a model number.
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica 112 or Ibanez RG321

Amp - Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube (any model bar the 15x)

That is all you need to know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Neither of those links work bro. I would honestly stay away from tremolo if you are not buying a decent model, it will go out of tune really easily on lower models. Try it out and see though.22 frets is enough for most of their solos, if there is a 24 it'll only be one or two notes at the end of Kirk's solo's.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by steven seagull

i'll agree with this it's a solid starters kit
Quote by steven seagull

I love the look of the Ibanez. Will I be able to get it and an amp for under $1000? I really need the full 24 frets.
Which amp in particular do you recommend?
I have the Yamaha, you could pick one up on trademe for bugger all but I would say the Ibanez is better for metal
$1000 is plenty for a starter set up i payed $150 AUD for my crappy legacy starter kit obviously you will have a better rig that that but that $850 more that i had lol but the rg and a roland cube would be great maybe get a good od pedal as well
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Originally Posted by steven seagull

+1
No experience with the Vyrpr myself,and a little experience with the cube,but the pacfica is pretty nice.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by steven seagull

+1 iv got an ibanez rg and a roland cube 30 and gig them every fortnight, their gd equipment for the cost
Quote by steven seagull

The Microcube is a great little amp, I own one
Start with this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661

then use the rest for a guitar and a couple of pedals. For a first guitar it doesn't hurt to buy used in most cases the guitar could already be set up and in great shape there is no one brand of guitar to get, it strictly depends on what feels and sounds good to you. but with this amp you can start with tubes and open the door for guitars with actives or passives.