1 3%
doom
0 0%
progressive
11 35%
sludge/stoner
2 6%
Voters: 31.
Why am I restricted to only one? Can't I like them all equally?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I wanted to choose Symphonic but it wasn't up there and the closest thing I think is power...
Quote by darkstar2466
Why am I restricted to only one? Can't I like them all equally?

no!
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
youve missed loads of the sub genres of such as heavy metal metal core death core groove or funk metal and some others
Quote by joshua029
no!

Fine.

Then I pick heavy metal.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Death Metal, and technical death metal.

Followed by Avant-garde and Prog metal.

Quote by notsominidude
youve missed loads of the sub genres of such as heavy metal metal core death core groove or funk metal and some others

he didn't "miss" any of those. Heavy metal = traditional metal, the rest of those aren't really metal, except Groove which is a small subgenre that doesn't really need to be on the poll.
Last edited by wh0racLe at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by anacrucix
Where Is Deathcore

Even if you like deathcore, I find it hard to believe it's your favorite.
Quote by Z Standard

Off-topic, but does your avatar happen to be the amazing game of system shock 2
I think splitting up Metal kinda kills the point. Arguing over which sub of a sub of a sub-genre is better breaks the unity we should have in Metal as a whole.

/Metal Ghandi
Quote by Hell_Metalist
I think splitting up Metal kinda kills the point. Arguing over which sub of a sub of a sub-genre is better breaks the unity we should have in Metal as a whole.

/Metal Ghandi

Who's arguing? This is just a poll of people's favourite. Also genre classification is useful.
Proggressive, Death and Thrash

should've made it a multiple choice poll
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Z Standard

Hmmmm, I was just joking around when I said that, making the point that this poll is never really gonna cover all the bases, but having said that Veil of Maya's "The Common Man' Collapse" is probably one of the CDs I've listened to most in the past 2 years- it fuses together the sort of tech/death Black Dahlia sound with the polyrhythmic breakdowns of Meshuggah, and a lot of the riffs are more interesting in terms of harmony, rhythm and structure than most solos I hear coming from "techdeath" bands etc. I don't really see how Veil of Maya are any more "hardcore" than meshuggah - all there "breakdowns" sound pretty meshuggahish to me. Same with ATB.

I think there are some really underrated "Deathcore" bands that just get lumped in with simple/**** bands and so the genre doesn't really do them any justice.

Veil of Maya
After the Burial
The Faceless

meh... sue me

[hate]
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
240 bpm blasting, harmonised 8th note riffing- i'd say Nocturnal sounds more like necrophagist than lamb of god.... whats the argument for it being metalcore? that its mostly in 4/4?
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Quote by anacrucix
240 bpm blasting, harmonised 8th note riffing- i'd say Nocturnal sounds more like necrophagist than lamb of god.... whats the argument for it being metalcore? that its mostly in 4/4?

The old albums were considered metalcore, they are now considered melodeath. 'Sounding like necrophagist' does not make you tech death.