Hello fellow UG'ers, I have been playing guitar for almost 2 years, without any formal lessons, and I never really took the time to learn chords and scales. I joined a band as of lately, and I had trouble blending in with the music and improv'ing something that was in key. I need some advice with how to improv better and recognize the key of a song by ear, I figured learning scales and studying theory hard will help, but what other ways might I fix this issue
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Learn scales and techniques. Going crazy with the whammy bar can fit really well on some songs.
It really is as simple as learning scales and theory. I know because I was in your shoes, not all that long ago.
Learn your theory.......how have you managed so far without learning chords and scales, how did you pass the audition to even get in the band.

best bet is your going to have relative pitch which means you train your ear to hear 1 or two notes then you work out the rest by recognising the intervals
I can work out stuff without really knowing that much theory :confused;

But yeah. Just go up the low E or something, and there will be one note that really will stand out if ya get me, and that'll be the one that the key is in. I know I didn't explain it deece like, but that's pretty much it. Or you could look at what the other musicians are doing, and you could find the key out that way.

For basic improv, you could just use the minor scale or major scale (I don't see the point of using a pentatonic, the extra two notes in the major/minor add a bit of flavour). Depending on the music you are doing, throwing in an odd blue note gives a nice dissonance or whatever, which sounds nice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well for starters Ive always played metal and hard rock, so I usually used drop tunings and just never bothered with chords, but I see that its screwed me over, and I really wish I had taken the time to learn scales.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro