So i'm writing this song where the first chord is Cmajor. Then i switch to F minor.

I thought originally I must've been in Fminor because of course the fifth chord is Cmajor.

But no other chords seem to work within that key. And when you play Fminor, it feels like it needs to be resolved.

And it clearly can't be in Cmajor, because the fourth would be Fmajor.

Can anyone tell me what key I'm in? Or even suggest what other chords i can use to keep it sinister.

Thanks alot
of course... c major isnt the fifth chord in the key of F minor.. C Minor is

and there could be a couple keys those two chords are in, there might not be any.
A mode of F harmonic minor
Quote by Roc8995
I ran into some fingering issues. I can get it up to speed the way I've been fingering it, but I'm wondering if you guys have any better ideas, because it seems like there should be an easier way to finger this.

Don't worry there is Roc, there is
LOL READ THE CHORDS THE WRONG WAY ROUND. thought we were talking C minor and F major :P

i think your looking at F Mixolydian here- in which case we're looking at the following chords

C minor
D minor
Eb major
F major
G minor
Bb major
A minor b5

- effectively Bb major
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Last edited by anacrucix at Jul 19, 2009,
okay now i know what chords we're talking about, yeah F harmonic minor sounds good

other chords that could work well after the F minor are Ab Major, Bb major, Eb Major
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
You're seem to be in F Harmonic Minor (Fm scale with a raised seventh... used a lot in classical music) Chords used in the scale:
Fm, Gmdim5, G#aug5, A#m, C, C#, Emdim5
Last edited by Zombiefish at Jul 19, 2009,
could easily be in c major and that you're jus usin the parallel minor of the F major
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
F harmonic minor isn't a key, it's a scale. The key T/S is in is simply F minor, irrespective of the fact C major is not diatonic in F minor. The key isn't what scale a song fits into, the key is defined by the tonality established.

To T/S, common predominants (chords you use right before a dominant chord, which is your Cmajor chord) that sound good in minor tonality are ii (Dm in the key of F), iv (Bbm), bVI (Db7) and iio (Dm7b5). I would use one of these chords.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Youre in C major. The Fm chord still fits in C major because F is the perfect fourth of C major, so you can make the fourth of C major or minor depending on what you need. I think.
So much bad info in this thread, demon is the only one who knows what he is talking about.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.