Hi all, I just got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and I have found the stock pickups aren't all that flash, and I play metal generally from C Standard up to E so I was wondering on what changes/upgrades I should get for it, first of all I will probably have to swap out the strings that came with it because they are already fairly worn out.

So yeah, recommend me some durable strings and awesome pickups

Budget is around 500$ AUS at the maximum.
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera
how much is 500 AUS in USD??
anyways if u want pups, i suggest the classic Combination of EMGs with a new twist 81X / 60X
thats about 220 USD
abt strings, try Ernie Ball Heavy Bottoms, theyre good if u wanna get those drop tunings cos C standard is pretty low

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2215-Nickel-Slinky-Skinny-TopHeavy-Bottom-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100615

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-85X-Active-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=582533

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-60X-Active-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=582534
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
checked your amp. It will be better if u get a new amp.

Besides, your not too far off getting a new Bugera. or u could go used and get one right now.
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
dude, u have a SPIDER??? wat the hell were u thinking, forget new pups, just get a nice tube combo practice amp instead of pups
good pups on a crappy amp < crappy pups on a good amp
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
dude, u have a SPIDER??? wat the hell were u thinking, forget new pups, just get a nice tube combo practice amp instead of pups
good pups on a crappy amp < crappy pups on a good amp

+1, putting on new pickups is a waste of time and money when you have a spider, get a tube combo.
Thanks for the info I was actually wondering whether I had to get a new amp now that I had a higher quality guitar, I will look into getting a Bugera then
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera
I'd go for some Blackouts in it as far as pickups.

And for strings... Believe it or not... I use Dunlop Zakk Wylde 10 - 46s on my SG. I have used them for 2 years now and have NEVER broken a single one. I tune from Standard to Drop C. They're perfect for me but maybe not for you. Also I hate Ernie Balls because the sets I've gotten have corroded within a week or have broken right out of the package. Alot of people love EB's... that's just me.

EDIT: I haven't gotten as far as C Standard though... I'm gonna try the Dunlop ZW 10 - 60s cause I've been getting into Amon Amarth lately and don't want the strings flimsy.

EDIT Again: Yeah dude you DEFINITELY need a better amp before you get better pickups. They're decent practice amps but if you want to get a better tone out of it.... it'd be like chasing a ghost. You can never catch it. Save up and get a decent amp and then invest in some new pickups and/or pedals.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 20, 2009,