Hello and welcome to my first project: Repainting my pickguard.

I was thinking of spraying the white pickguard of my Yamaha Pacifica 112J black and maybe leave a white border or add white EVH-like stripes, so I created a little mock-up and came up with this:

Now, as I am new to customizing anything, especially with (spray-) paint, I would like to have your help with these:

• What kind of spray paint whould I have to buy? (I want to spray white first to even out some scratches and darker spots, then a few layers black and after all a few layers clear, if neccessary)

• How do I remove that white thing on the pickup selector? I have heard it is hard to re-attach after removing it once. Do I even have to remove it to get the selector out?

• Do I just unscrew the knobs on the inside of the pickguard and then take them off?

• Would this kind of tape be enough to cover the border and/or stripes once the white color is dried and not let the black "get through"?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by someone_random at Jul 19, 2009,
How do I remove that white thing on the pickup selector? Looks like it should just pull off

Do I even have to remove it to get the selector out? Yes

Do I just unscrew the knobs on the inside of the pickguard and then take them off? The knobs should just pull off take two guitar picks and put them under each side of the volume or tone knob and pull up unless you see a screw somewhere on them. The pots are attached to the pickguard by a nut a 10mm socket should do it. As for the spray and tape stuff I don't know.

good luck
look at 'painters tape' for masking. (masking tape leaves a residue).

Also, It would probabbly be quite hard to mask the edges of the pickguard as the colour is made of the different layers of plastic.
Get a can of Krylon Fusion Paint for plastics ETC. easy to use. Drys fast. comes in all different colors. painters tape you can get at home depot.
When I painted the pickguard on my Epiphone Goth Explorer I used Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic. It's designed to be used on plastic. I applied several coats of paint and then several coats of clear coat after that. I don't remember exactly when I painted it but it's been over a year and it still looks as good as it did the day I painted it.
Quote by TheSecondRaid

+10, i used masking tape on the neck of my squier and i think i just now got it all off 2 months later
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by YouWantToKillME
Looks like it should just pull off

The knobs should just pull off take two guitar picks and put them under each side of the volume or tone knob and pull up unless you see a screw somewhere on them. The pots are attached to the pickguard by a nut a 10mm socket should do it.

good luck

Thanks.

Quote by TheSecondRaid

Quote by bored_maniac33
+10, i used masking tape on the neck of my squier and i think i just now got it all off 2 months later

Thanks, I wasn't sure what tape would leave residue.

Quote by Agent-Orange
Get a can of Krylon Fusion Paint for plastics ETC. easy to use. Drys fast. comes in all different colors. painters tape you can get at home depot.

Quote by zakkwyldefan79
When I painted the pickguard on my Epiphone Goth Explorer I used Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic. It's designed to be used on plastic. I applied several coats of paint and then several coats of clear coat after that. I don't remember exactly when I painted it but it's been over a year and it still looks as good as it did the day I painted it.

I just found the product page and I guess I will use this for the color and this as clear coat.
If I can't find Krylon Fusion here (Germany), this seems to be a good second choice.
Would 3-5 layers of color (each) and 5 or more layers of clear be enough to keep the looks for at least a year?

Quote by POWERMETAL!
if your going for the white bevels, shoot the thing black and when it dries take a new razor blade and scrape the bevels.

I am going for the bevels, but I'll make a cardboard cutout just a little smaller than the pickguard, position it right and then make a light line with a pencil or so and mask that area (just 'cause I suck at doing stuff free-hand).

UPDATE (7:10pm):
Bought the paint and clear (didn't have Krylon so I settled with Faust), sanded with 600 paper (instruction said so), applied base coat and masked out the bevels.
Looks good after around 6 layers of black (matt), applied them every 5-10 minutes, now waiting an hour or so to let it all dry in.

Will then sand off a few uneven spots and apply a few more layers black and leave that until early tomorrow where I'm going to sand of uneven spots if neccessary and apply one or two last layers of black, then dry for 24 hours and spray a few layers clear, sand of and clear again.
Maybe some photos of the progress, most likely some at the end.

Aloha
Last edited by someone_random at Jul 20, 2009,
Update with pictures:

Applied around 12 layers of clear.
Looks awesome in nature, the photos don't do it justice (camera phone), but you get the basic idea. The bevels are very small, just the angled border but it is enough for me.
The matt black and glossy clear make it look matt-glossy which is pretty cool.

(the knobs are just laying on it to give a better impression of how the white hardware would look on it)

I'll just leave it to dry until early tomorrow and then post some pictures of how it looks on the guitar with everything attached.
Last edited by someone_random at Jul 21, 2009,