I picked up an ESP LTD MH-50 for christmas of this year. I love the guitar, it's a beast and I love using the floyd rose but I do have 1 problem with it that I believe is common when using a floyd rose. The first 3 frets on my e string produce a clanking sound. If I hold the 3rd fret, it plays the note but the second and first fret have the faint sound of the 3rd fret, with a metal clank. The first 2 or 3 frets of my B string also do this, though not as bad, and I believe the first fret of my A string makes a slight sound.

When I first got the guitar it did not do this, I changed the strings and shortly after it may have began. I got the same type of strings but I'm not sure if they were thicker or not. Is it common for strings to cause this? I have completely calibrated the floyd rose after changing the strings, the clanking sound does seem to lessen if I have the bride raise up, but that's not the way it's supposed to be and it lowers the whammy so I can't do much with it. Answers anyone? Now that I'm thinking about it I'm pretty sure I may have just got thicker strings and that made a big difference...
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
I believe you need to raise the action, it sounds like you've got dead frets.
I thought it may have been that the action was too low. How do I go about adjusting the truss rod?
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Quote by Xerosnake90
I thought it may have been that the action was too low. How do I go about adjusting the truss rod?

There are tutorial videos on youtube, I'd advise you to go watch these.
you can thighten your trussrod an eight of a round tops, but if i were you i'd just raise the strings a little bit.
I'll see if I can find the manual that came with the guitar, watch some videos if I have to.

Danke schon Kreator. Du bist eine grosse hilfe!

My speaking it is alot better than spelling >.>
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Thanks for the help guys, i'm not experienced enough to do some work on the truss rod so I'll stay away from that. In the booklet that came with the guitar it tells me exactly that the string gauge numbers were that came with the guitar. I'll try getting the same gauge, hopefully it will make a difference.
My gear
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Last edited by Xerosnake90 at Jul 19, 2009,
Before you go tearin' into your ax, a quick question...is your amp a newer VTxx series Vox or an older ADxxVT? If it's the newer VT line, I have a pretty good idea what your problem might be.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah