im hinking of getting a boss ds-1, i have a crate gx-15 amp and an aria stg series guitar. Is it good for AC/DC style? if not anyone got any other suggestions? also is this a suitible lead http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013NFRDI/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0DV6N3YTT4VSD68RVQ2V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

thanks in advance =)
There not bad dude - average dist pedals - but for a newbie you'll love it - will improve ur amps dist prob!

If you're going to buy one then pick one up used - their dead cheap!

The lead is probs fine - Anything thats 6.5mm - 6.5mm should suit - never heard of the brand

Im guessing ur in the UK? They go for 15-25 pounds used dude - for that price you can't really go wrong.

Otherwise you'd need to spend a lot more...Like an MXR 104+ Distortion - Great but twice the price at least!

Get it off ebay dude - you can always hawk it later
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I personally dont like the sound of a ds-1 neither do a lot of people here. BUt you can get some mods done to them that make them absolutely beautiful distortions. The only way to know if you like it is to try one
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
i hate them but hey, who gives a **** what i think.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
the DS-1 was my first pedal when i started. it served its purpose well in the beginning but i ended up selling it to move on to better things.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
stock ds-1 sounds really harsh and really ****ty, maybe it sounds good on a good tube amp, but with solid state amps it sucks...
but you could get a good sound if you mod it...
Only get the DS-1 if you plan to mod it, otherwise I'd say its not really worth your while. (or money)
it's not bad but you might as well just buy an amp with better distortion if you don't like your current one.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
i like my modded ds-1, i didnt mod it to any specific specs (premade mods) i just kinda went at it.

im sad im about to sell it, but i have it written down what i did... somewhere...
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I wouldn't get one unless you're willing to mod it, or unless you're getting a Keeley modded one. It won't really improve the sound of your amp that much. If I were you, I'd start saving for a cheap tube amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
don't buy a ds-1. It's cheaper to buy one expensive distortion pedal than buy a ds-1, regret it and buy that same pedal. Trust me. Only a few people actually like ds-1's. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that pedal sucks and I think buying cheap **** and regretting later is a stupid thing to do. It's only a pedal. Spend like only $50 more and you get a much better distortion pedal. Boss pedals aren't cheap. You get what you pay for. Half of a decent distortion.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
what ive learnt is that if you buy cheap, average sounding pedals you are going to want to replace it later with better ones so you might as well save up a bit more. i also have a ds-1, it was my first pedal and now i bought a proco rat for a better, smoother sounding distortion. you have to think more long term
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by scream92
stock ds-1 sounds really harsh and really ****ty, maybe it sounds good on a good tube amp, but with solid state amps it sucks...

It does indeed sound excellent with some tube amps, but with a cheapo SS practice amp it won't be great.

Nevertheless it's a good pedal to have knocking around, I say go ahead and buy one. Should be good fun and will add plenty of gain to your rig, if that's your thing
Not really up to much for classic rock - it's not warm enough for that.
It has however been used by a lot of professionals - Satriani used it as his base distortion tone for a long time; the other user I can name off the top of my head is Marillion's Steve Rothery, who I'm sure you've all heard of >_>
Long story short, for AccaDacca and all things similar you're better off with an overdrive pedal than with a distortion pedal. The Digitech Bad Monkey is ridiculously good for its price, and if you're well-heeled the Wampler Plexidrive is fantastic.
For 40 bucks, it's hard to go wrong for a distortion pedal that sounds pretty decent. The DS-1 was my first pedal, and I still use it from time to time (definitely not for my main distortion, but I can get some cool fuzz tones out of it, in addition to very boxy and nasally tones which are useful from time to time). Plus it's pretty easy to mod, both for actual usable sounds (Keeley Mod, Analogman Mod) or noisy applications (circuit-bending).
It won't do AC/DC, the mids are scooped far too much.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you want AC/DC sounds, either a Bad Monkey, as someone else sugested, or a Marshall Bluesbreaker, neither have lots of distortion, but IMO they're sound is much better than a DS1
Quote by mmolteratx
It won't do AC/DC, the mids are scooped far too much.

what? the ds-1 is an extremely middy distortion
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
i think the DS-1 is a fantastic pedal to get you into effects and i loved having one when i first got mine. now i almost never use it but i dont regret buying it. its cheap, sounds ok and i know i can mod it at some point if i want. it isnt a super sounding distortion and it probably isnt the best for AC/DC but it works. if you can pick one up used then you can probably sell it later and not lose any money.

its not a great pedal, but it is a nice pedal for a beginner who is just getting started with guitar and effects.
I personally think the DS-1 is better for leads than for rhythm and chords.
If you do buy one, find one used and make sure it's made in JAPAN, they're really superior to the new ones made in Taiwan.
Quote by rhcp-legends
what? the ds-1 is an extremely middy distortion

No, the mids are scooped quite a bit. Everyone knows this.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs