How do you mute with your right hand while your sweep picking? What's the best way to do it? Do you move your whole arm up and down, so the palm changes position or do you only move your wrist? What's the right way?
Thanks!
You don't.
Most, if not all muting should come from left hand technique. That or I'm just weird.
Quote by Geldin
You don't.
Most, if not all muting should come from left hand technique. That or I'm just weird.

You're actually supposed to use both hands to mute. Use right to palm to mute the strings lower than the one you're playing, and use parts of your left hand fingers (not the fingertips) to dampen the higher strings. You're not supposed to mute the notes you're playing, otherwise that would be called palm-muting, and that doesn't sound good when sweeping, although some people do it.
Unless you have HUGE hands, the motion should come from the arm, wrist fairly relaxed but not totally (otherwise it won't pick the strings ). For me and the way I hold the pick, the muting comes from the main pad at the base of my thumb, and it just stays in contact with the strings as my hand moves up and down.