just out of curiosity, today i was at my local music store and was trying out this Dillon bass which is remarkably similar to a rickenbacher bass.. i absolutely ADORE ricky's and was wondering if this bass was a worth while replication of the original. i know it has some changes such as the actual pick-up name, and the rubber behind them - yet still with the bad ass II bridge.

so just wondering what you (the bassists) opinions on this bass are - is it w worth while investment to have a very similar ricky style, or is it just trash in the end?

thanks 3D
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
i remember a while ago someone on here getting a rick copy. now i think about it, it might have been skater_dan0, but don't hold me to that.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
^yes, Dan and CreepingJesus both have one.

The ricky copies are pretty variable in quality, so make sure you check it out well before buying.
hmm, we right now i just got stiches removed from my finger, and my knuckle is fractured so when i was trying it out i couldnt really give it a good test run, but off of what i did, it did have a nice tone to it, deff similar to the ricky's
(\__/)

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Rick copies are rarer than the real ones these days (in Britain at least).
I would love to get my hands on one, but the prices I've seen are too steep, and I refuse to pay more than £400 for one, because at that price I may as well save another £400 and just bloody buy a second hand rick.
Quote by Casketcreep
Rick copies are rarer than the real ones these days (in Britain at least).
I would love to get my hands on one, but the prices I've seen are too steep, and I refuse to pay more than £400 for one, because at that price I may as well save another £400 and just bloody buy a second hand rick.

mine cost me £350 + £20 postage from fleabay.

anyway yes it's me that has the copy and I have to say mine is very nice although obviously not a real ricky so don't go buying one thinking you're getting near enough a rick for a fraction of the price.

The pickups in most copies are always the weakness for getting a ricky tone. Some brands use the seymour duncan replacement pickups while others use their own stock. Mine has it's own off brand pickups that I love to pieces because of the ballsy tone i can get from it. But I'd recommend going for one with SDs because at least that way you're going to know what you're getting.

Another thing to look into is the spec sheet. Rick copies have a habit of being poorly made with poor quality bits of wood and shoddy workmanship glossed over in a lovely jetglo (or black to the people out there with lives) finish.

Mine is a rare example of a good copy and even then the specs are almost completely different.

mine has a maple body, set maple neck and rosewood 22 fret fretboard. It has an off brand lookalike bridge that doesn't have a mute system, off brand pickups, an angled headstock, and is wired with 500k alpha pots.

At the end of the day what you should be looking at is if the bass sounds and feels right for you not whether it sounds and feels like a rickenbacker
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
well i live in canada and it was 675$ (dunno conversion?) and it did have a very similar tone to a ricky - and like i said earlier due to a broken knuckle and stitches i couldnt real get an honest feel for it since i cant fully play yet (n)
(\__/)

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

The only ricky copy I'm familiar with is the Greco made one. It was a very nice bass, keep an eye out for one if you can
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.