Page 1 of 2
Title says it all.

Just curious. I don't know much about them.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
JVM is newer i think but i really don't like the JVM's, maybe i was just tweaking it wrong but i really didn't like the sounds i was getting. I like JCM's much more, my next amp will probably be one in the series, im thinking the 2000.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
JCM= Great and Durable amps (well except the JCM200 TSL, IMO)

JVM= Overpriced(in the US) and not that great sounding.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yeah I was interested in the half stacks for sometime in the future.

I play a lot of metal but I also like versatility.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
JCM 800 is one of the most iconic rock tones. Great amps. Only one I can speak for personally so I'll shut up now.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Yeah I was interested in the half stacks for sometime in the future.

I play a lot of metal but I also like versatility.

then dont bother with the JVM.
its versatile, but it sounds like a turd
feel free to add me
Quote by stykerwolf
It's more of personal tastes really, but most people will go with a JCM800 over any JVM model.

feel free to add me
definitely go with a JCM800 over any JVM
JCMs are simple yet amazing, and JVMs are just plain shi*t
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Why are the JVM's "plain sh!t"? Have you even tried one? They are far from plain sh!t. They are just more modern sounding than the JCM's. To the OP, the main difference to me is modern versus classic sounding. The gain on the JVM's is more bro0talZ whereas the JCM's have that classic Marshall sound and great 80's metal tone. You can snag a great JCM used for well under 800 bucks (unless its a JCM 800 then a little more). I have a JCM 2000 TSL 100 and love it. I was considering the JVM's as well. Best advice, go listen to them and find them in a local GC.
JVMs are not plain ****. In fact, they sound great, Neal Schon uses them and he always gets good tone. I bet if a blind A vs. B was posted, half the people bashing the JVM would not even be able to tell which was which.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8

JVM right there. Tell me that sounds bad, c'mon...
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by al112987
JVMs are not plain ****. In fact, they sound great, Neal Schon uses them and he always gets good tone. I bet if a blind A vs. B was posted, half the people bashing the JVM would not even be able to tell which was which.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8

JVM right there. Tell me that sounds bad, c'mon...

Agreed, it isn't bad sounding by any means. It isn't worth what it costs IMO, but that doesn't make it sound bad. Doesn't help I don't like complicated amps so I'm probably not the best person to judge the JVM anyways.

I played a JCM2000 combo and wasn't impressed, haven't played the DSL and TSL heads much so I'll reserve judgement.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I had a 4 channel JVM for a little bit. It had a ton of Gain and great tone. It was impossible to use it without a really good gate though. The clean channel was very good. All in all one of the best amps on the market right now. The marshall tone cuts through really well. Its not for everyone though. It can be a little lacking on high end sizzle.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
The JCM2000(dsl and TSL) combos are way too muddy for me to be a practical amp

the jvm reminded me of my mark IV. having fun hours of tweaking. sounds great. can get a whole array of sounds. A bit noisy. It just is a bit overpriced here in the states.

the jcm800/900- better than 2000's. Didnt really like the 900 voicing, but thats just me.

An another note, the vintage modern is a series i really like, and you wont be hearing alot of people say this. It can be extremely smooth and clear when cranked

Its all based on how you eq the amp i guess
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 19, 2009,
I have used the JVM 410 on many occasions. Everytime, I thought it sounded bad.

The distortion is fizzy, sterile and fake sounding. I thought it was decent at it's low and mid gain tones, but for high gain I absolutely hate it every time I try one.

The DSL50, with a boost, is one of the most articulate amps I've ever heard or used, wasn't expecting that one at all when I used one in the studio.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
then dont bother with the JVM.
its versatile, but it sounds like a turd

I'd normally preach the JCM800 and 900, but I liked Tesla's tone on their most recent album, "Forever More". They tracked with a JVM and it sounds pretty sweet to me. Kinda like Marshall's own Krankenstein/Stiletto mixture.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
The DSL's are a progression of the JCM800/900, the TSL's were a new design from the ground up, that's why they sound different. If you want a simple, single channel Marshall, try for a late 70's 2203, they're identical inside to the JCM800 2203 but in the older style casing, & usually cheaper for that reason alone. I have one of the mass produced 30th Anniversary models (6101) which sounds slightly different again, maybe something else to look out for & try?
Yeah, the 6100s sound awesome. I have one and it's my favorite Marshall so far.

I was able to get an almost dead-on tone to my 2203 on channel 2B, the 2203 was just a bit more aggressive, but I like the 6100's voicing better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Shinozoku
I'd normally preach the JCM800 and 900, but I liked Tesla's tone on their most recent album, "Forever More". They tracked with a JVM and it sounds pretty sweet to me. Kinda like Marshall's own Krankenstein/Stiletto mixture.

Marshall is not really my cup of tea.
i like the 900 SL-X and whatever 30th (or is it 20th) anniversary amp Matrix has and i dont like the rest of the Marshalls well except Cameron/Splawn modded ones.
feel free to add me
Quote by Zakk_Lp
For metal

umm JCM 900 SL-X, Silver Jubilee
feel free to add me
Quote by Zakk_Lp
For metal and something versitile, neither.
What exactly is not versatile about a Marshall?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
umm JCM 900 SL-X, Silver Jubilee

Yeahh but im guessing he means modern metal. Im not saying they can't do metal cause i can crank metal out of my DSL im just saying you can do loads better for metal at that price. Also i played a 900 and personal i found it was versitile in the sence it could go from clean to quite heavily distorted but it always had the same sort of tone. Maybe i didn't play it enough its just thats what i found.

EDIT:
Quote by al112987
What exactly is not versatile about a Marshall?

Again its not that its not that there not versitile. Its just that they're genrally about as versitile as most other amps. Were as something such as a Line 6 Vetta is extreamly versitile.
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Yeahh but im guessing he means modern metal.

SL-X + Boost = *BOOM*......Modern Metal.
feel free to add me
i quite liked the JVMs I tried- though I'd add that I vastly preferred the lower gain tones to the higher gain ones.

JCM2000s are kind of meh, though, with the dsl being noticeably less meh than the tsl.

Usual advice from me... decent-ish value in the UK, not so much elsewhere.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, my 30th ann. was a bit meh when I got it, but £120 any 11 valves later, courtesy of Watford Valves, & it went from meh to F*** ME SIDEWAYS!!!!!!!!! Marshall seem to use reliable valves rather than good valves
that's always possible. I can only say how good something is from how I've tried it, because if I think it's "meh" i'm not going to buy it, so I'll never get as far as changing the valves, kind of thing.

Of course, if everyone is saying how awesome it is after a valve change, then i might consider a purchase.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's all about taste, play both. Neither one is crap. I fell in love with the JVM, I have a 410h and it honestly is tonal perfection to my ears. I love the high gain, and everything from that down to the pristine clean channel. I found my dream amp, so I think anyone who trash talks it a bunch is either 1. is grumpy cuz they can't afford one 2. Has NOT played it on the right settings.
Last edited by Pacarazzi at Jul 19, 2009,
or, y'know, about taste as you correctly mentioned in your first sentence.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Marshall is not really my cup of tea.
i like the 900 SL-X and whatever 30th (or is it 20th) anniversary amp Matrix has and i dont like the rest of the Marshalls well except Cameron/Splawn modded ones.

The 6100. Satch used it before he went to Peavey

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
The 6100. Satch used it before he went to Peavey

i heard that satch is using marshalls now.
is that true??
feel free to add me
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, the 6100s sound awesome. I have one and it's my favorite Marshall so far.

I was able to get an almost dead-on tone to my 2203 on channel 2B, the 2203 was just a bit more aggressive, but I like the 6100's voicing better.

I hate to jack this thread, but there is a 6100 head at my local Guitar Center for $999. Should I go for it?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i heard that satch is using marshalls now.
is that true??

AFAIK It's his Peaveys and Vox Satchurator. If he IS using Marshalls again (and I'd be SO glad if he was), it's probably the old 6100 or JCM900. God that tone was so good....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJetAdWXqQ
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I hate to jack this thread, but there is a 6100 head at my local Guitar Center for $999. Should I go for it?

Good god almighty YES! One of the best Marshalls made in the past 20 years.

Stupid name.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
JCM= Great and Durable amps (well except the JCM200 TSL, IMO)

JVM= Overpriced(in the US) and not that great sounding.

This. I have a JCM800 2205 and it is astounding, and the same for the 900s. But the 2000s and the JVMs sound horrible. Not very great distortion. Doesn't sound natural, and it's not all that powerful (in sound).
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Well I looked at like this

Trivium is my favorite band of this generation of heavy metal. They use Marshall amps (I forget which models).

Death is my favorite band of all time. Chuck Schuldiner used a freakin' Marshall Valvestate 8100 for most of his career.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Page 1 of 2