Anyone know what amps and pedals they use? I know they use Fender Jazzmaster guitars. I really like how their tone is clean but on the edge of feedback.
Just play your amp really loud.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
all i no is that there bassist is female :p
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
A few pedals they use:

ProCo Rat
DOD Digital Delay
Ibanez AD-80
MXR Phase Shifter

They basically use a TONNE of different subtle delays for clean, I'd advise you to get the rat, a delay of some kind and just go from there.
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by greenwoodfan93
A few pedals they use:

ProCo Rat
DOD Digital Delay
Ibanez AD-80
MXR Phase Shifter

They basically use a TONNE of different subtle delays for clean, I'd advise you to get the rat, a delay of some kind and just go from there.

Thanks. I was planning on getting a Proco Rat anyway and I have a Boss delay. Anyone know what amps they use? They looked like Fender Deluxe's or somethin'.
http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/436/38/

There's Thurston's rig. Thurston also uses a Jaguar (red I believe) for a few songs, and he has a Fender Cyclone (II, the 3 pickup model) which is the guitar in the "Silver Rocket" video.

Lee's is more or less the same, but he has his Jazzblasters and a few weird customs (a semi-hollow jazzblaster contraption). I also think Lee uses a Fender Super Reverb (in place of Thurston's Twin Reverb).
Quote by RG_FANMAN
http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/436/38/

There's Thurston's rig. Thurston also uses a Jaguar (red I believe) for a few songs, and he has a Fender Cyclone (II, the 3 pickup model) which is the guitar in the "Silver Rocket" video.

Lee's is more or less the same, but he has his Jazzblasters and a few weird customs (a semi-hollow jazzblaster contraption). I also think Lee uses a Fender Super Reverb (in place of Thurston's Twin Reverb).

Yeah, think I saw that Super Reverb. Too bad it's more expensive than a Twin Reverb.
i think that the "clean but on the edge of feedback" is not actually feedback all the time - it may be the symathetic drone of the strings between the bridge and the tremolo tailpiece on their fender jazzmasters which is picked up by the guitars pickups which sounds a bit like feedback compression makes this more pronounced.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Thanks. I was planning on getting a Proco Rat anyway and I have a Boss delay. Anyone know what amps they use? They looked like Fender Deluxe's or somethin'.

You're welcome . I don't think there's a particular amp that they use, (they seem to change their rig a lot from time to time), though I do think at some point they have used a deluxe, regardless, its a great amp, and certainly capable of getting their tone and sparkling cleans.
Quote by Blompcube
i think that the "clean but on the edge of feedback" is not actually feedback all the time - it may be the symathetic drone of the strings between the bridge and the tremolo tailpiece on their fender jazzmasters which is picked up by the guitars pickups which sounds a bit like feedback compression makes this more pronounced.

Haven't heard of that before. It might explain why I hear feedback-like sounds out of my strat, even when playing with headphones. Actually, I think it's because when I strum really hard, the springs inside the strat kinda resonate.
Almost the entire Sonic Youth sound comes from all of the weird tunings they use.
The rest has already been said, but you can really get it with any loud amp and half-decent guitar.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Haven't heard of that before. It might explain why I hear feedback-like sounds out of my strat, even when playing with headphones. Actually, I think it's because when I strum really hard, the springs inside the strat kinda resonate.

yes it's likely that is what's happening because my strat's trem used to squeak when i used it and the squeak would be picked up and amplified i'm so glad i fixed that even though it was quite cool that it could sometimes push the guitar into feedback at higher volumes - i just wanted to use the trem without weird feedback though
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.