For those of you who don't know what it is, or might not know it by this name:
e 5-6---7-----8-------------------------------------------------------------------8-----7---6-5
B ----5---6-----7-----8---------------------------------------------------8-----7-----6---5----
G ----------5-----6-----7-----8-----------------------------------8-----7-----6-----5----------
D ------------------5-----6-----7-----8-------------------8-----7-----6-----5------------------
A --------------------------5-----6-----7---8-------8---7-----6-----5--------------------------
E ----------------------------------5-----6---7-8-7---6-----5----------------------------------

[This is just a basic version, it can be moved to different frets and can also be played to give more stimulation to the fretting hand by moving up and down to different sets of frets when changing between ascending and descending.]

Does this exercise help a lot, to those who've done it?
Funnily enough, I think this is my version of this exercise and I think you've tabbed it upside down.

Tell me where you found it if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think it's a fantastic exercise if you approach it correctly. It provides pretty much tricky medium motion (ie, changing strings between every finger alongside very difficult inside/outside picking) and it's kinda cool sounding too.

If you like doing exercises, then this is one that I'd heartily recommend. Practiced properly, it yields great results.
Quote by Freepower
Funnily enough, I think this is my version of this exercise and I think you've tabbed it upside down.

Tell me where you found it if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think it's a fantastic exercise if you approach it correctly. It provides pretty much tricky medium motion (ie, changing strings between every finger alongside very difficult inside/outside picking) and it's kinda cool sounding too.

If you like doing exercises, then this is one that I'd heartily recommend. Practiced properly, it yields great results.

Actually, one of my irl friends showed it to me. He said he found it on justinguitar.com.
I ended up with it when I couldn't be arsed looking up some Steve Vai exercises. You'll notice, btw, that Steve has incredibly flexible alternate picking compared to people who just study scales.
hey freepower in your finger independence vid you mention there are a lot of spider exercises like this on the UG lessons but i cant seem to find them?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I use this as my warm-up exercise too. I just play it at whatever speed feels comfortable to me (usually pretty slow since it's my warm-up). It's just something I spend 10 mins on at the beginning of each practice - I don't place any expectations or goals on it, like playing it at a certain speed or something. It's been pretty helpful for me. When I started using it as my warm up, I'd get the odd bit of unwanted string noise here and there due to the tricky picking pattern. I just noticed the other day - zero unwanted noise. It just went away. So it's doing something.

The only other thing I'll do is vary the fingering order on it every few weeks to keep it fresh. For example, here is the version I am warming up on right now. It's a little trickier than the 1-2-3-4 version.

4/4
  Gtr I
  S  S S S  S S  S S  S S  S S  S S  S S
|----------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------9------|
|-----------------------9------10------8-|
|-------------9------10------8------11---|
|------9---10------8------11-------------|
|-9-10---8------11-----------------------|

S S  S S  S  S S  S S  S  S S  S S  S S
|----9------10----8-10-9----11------8-------|
|-10------8----11--------10----9------11----|
|------11------------------------10------9--|
|-------------------------------------------|

S S  S S  S S  S S  S S  S S S  S
|---------------------------------------|
|----8----------------------------------|
|------11------8------------------------|
|-10------9------11------8--------------|
|-----------10------9------11---8-------|
|---------------------10------9---11----|

^ that's exactly what to do if you want to get the most from it. The next logical thing to do is of course change the order of the string changes, and that's when it starts to get seriously difficult.
+ 1 using it as a warm up. I don't have much experience with the guitar so this is very helpful to get my fingers ready for practicing.