Hi

So when shielding a guitar (For me a Fender Stratocaster) is all you need to do just cover the pickguard and spaces for electronics in the guitar's body with copper tape?

Can you then just install the pickguard and solder in the pickups just like normal?

Thanks.

note how i overlap the foil out to a screw hole. top left of pic.

overlap the foil and if you can, run a ground wire to common ground.
but even without the wire, it should quiet the strat a lot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

overlap the foil and if you can, run a ground wire to common ground.
but even without the wire, it should quiet the strat a lot.

Thanks, what do you mean by 'run a ground wire to common ground'?

Which two parts do you connect the wire to?

Thanks.
well there's a "common ground" in the guitar. usually the back of the volume pot.
you'll find a bunch of ground wires stuck together in a pool of solder there.

you can solder a wire to the self adhesive foil, run that to the common ground.

guys sometimes use an ohm meter to check that the shield is connected, and that the foil is overlapped properly.

i've ground a few guitars. have gotten good results by running the foil to a screw.

guitarnuts , stewmac.com have tutorials.

you can make this as simple or as intense a diy as you feel you need.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
well there's a "common ground" in the guitar. usually the back of the volume pot.
you'll find a bunch of ground wires stuck together in a pool of solder there.

you can solder a wire to the self adhesive foil, run that to the common ground.

guys sometimes use an ohm meter to check that the shield is connected, and that the foil is overlapped properly.

i've ground a few guitars. have gotten good results by running the foil to a screw.

guitarnuts , stewmac.com have tutorials.

you can make this as simple or as intense a diy as you feel you need.

So can the wire from the common ground be connected to anywhere on the adhesive foil?

Thanks.
sorry, i thought i answered this already.

yeah, this is from stewmac.com.

Overview
In order to completely shield your guitar you will have to dismantle and desolder a majority of the guitar's components. It is highly recommended that you make detailed notes on how every component was wired, as well as marking specific wires and solder points with tape labels to help in rewiring the instrument. Be very thorough. One mislabeled or unlabeled wire could cause a great deal of confusion when you are rewiring the system.

All of the shielding must be in contact with ground. There are several ways to apply a ground to a shielding network; when dealing with copper shielding foils, the ground wire can be soldered directly to it. If your volume pot housing is in contact with the foil, a ground jumper is not necessary.

Applying ground to a Strat type guitar is very simple. Bring the foil over the top of the body in the area that would be under the pickguard and around the pickguard screw below the bottom tone pot. The foil on the pickguard should surround this screw hole so, when the pickguard is screwed into place, the grounded foil on the pickguard will come in contact with the cavity shielding.

Another method is using a solder lug screwed into the cavity's side wall. Make the solder lug out of a scrap of brass and use a small wood screw to affix it to a cavity's side wall. Just solder a wire from the volume pot's casing to this lug for a good ground.

examples.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/1/Self-adhesive_Shielding_Kit/Instructions/I-3789.html#details
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 20, 2009,