Ok i have a laney VC30 Tube amp and the drive channel turned up to maximum which sounds brilliant when playing power chords and rythym stuff nice and gritty, however when i play lead parts the high bent up notes are too "clean" and im wondering how i add "grit" to single notes

i assume its going to be an overdrive or a distortion pedal but turning up the amp is most likely not the solution a) for noise concerns b) single bent notes dont seem to break up enough im using a big muff and another fuzz pedal not at the same time and the big muff just sounds too like a swarm of bees and needs a massive volume boost/compressor to bring the fuzz to life? to get it to break up notes in a more garage rock way?

As an example john frusciantes live solo tone when he bends a note up and its far rougher and has more depth to it than most guitarists out there?

Any ideas recommendations for a transparent pedal that will either add grit or force my amp to overload naturally anyway?
Get a boost pedal. It will overdrive your amp and give you more gain. You don't want a distortion or OD pedal. A boost should be fine.
OD
Hit that strings harder
Use the bridge pup
Raise the bridge pup
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Dear "girlfriend's name"

I no longer wish to see you. you're a dirty ***** and i hate you. I would like all of my things back by next week and you still owe me the $200 I let you borrow. Have a nice life and just stop being a *****....

oh sorry, i thought you said "making a break up note"
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
Dear "girlfriend's name"

I no longer wish to see you. you're a dirty ***** and i hate you. I would like all of my things back by next week and you still owe me the $200 I let you borrow. Have a nice life and just stop being a *****....

oh sorry, i thought you said "making a break up note"

Now that's some Gouda cheese there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Overdrive or clean boost of some sort.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
some overdrive from a pedal. MXR zakk wylde OD is pretty damn transparent and adds a load of gain. It'll be a perfect boost. I like the TS-9 better for now because it's better on the clean channel. It adds a bit of mids, which tightens up the tone. Maybe what you need.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
+1 on hitting the strings harder.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hitting the strings harder cant provide enough amplitude to overload the tubes unfortunately, but this clean boost, would i put it after my fuzz so the fuzz would then be twice as broken up thus taking away the "creaminess" of the fuzz as well as giving some distortion-ness?
I agree with a boost, not an OD or Distortion. It'll push the tubes more causing more breakup. Without adding to much 'other' unwanted distortion.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by apak
some overdrive from a pedal. MXR zakk wylde OD is pretty damn transparent and adds a load of gain. It'll be a perfect boost. I like the TS-9 better for now because it's better on the clean channel. It adds a bit of mids, which tightens up the tone. Maybe what you need.

The Wylde OD is far from transparent and not exactly reliable.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by steven seagull
+1 on hitting the strings harder.

Yeah, like if you're going in for a bend really pick your hand up a bit and smack the guitar like you were trying to cause it physical pain.
Quote by RedFez64
hitting the strings harder cant provide enough amplitude to overload the tubes unfortunately, but this clean boost, would i put it after my fuzz so the fuzz would then be twice as broken up thus taking away the "creaminess" of the fuzz as well as giving some distortion-ness?

you can put the boost either before or after your fuzz. there is no right order for pedals, you do what sounds best to you. you can either make the fuzz louder with the boost second, or you can push the input of the fuzz with boost first. either works and both will sound different.

i would work on your picking dynamics though. you are probably mashing down on power chords and stuff, so picking a bit harder on single notes isnt doing enough. i would say turn the volume on the amp up a touch and then lay back on your rhythm stuff. then pick harder for the single notes so things even out a bit. if that really isnt working for you, then try the clean boost or overdrive (drive low, level up).
Clean boost will add "crunch" by overloading the amp without adding /too much gain then? This is my main problem as i already have a big muff AND a boost drive fuzz which give me plenty of gain but can get a bit too "smooth" for the kind of garage rock sound im looking for when going through a strats neck pickup.