Well, im jammin with some people for fun, and they do a cover song where they use a progression of Am, E, C, F, G. I would just improvise the parts in A minor, but that doesnt cover G# in the E, which obv sounds way out of place if used (for me anyhow). That would be the A harmonic minor scale. If i'd just be making lead riffs and some solo'age for it, with pretty good deal of distortion anyhow, should i even bother trying to blend the G# in somehow to accomodate the Emaj chord? Or just use the E and B for around the Emaj? I guess i'm just wondering what intervals of the a minor scale i shouldnt use before or directly after the G#, or a leading tone for the G#, possibly just a G? Sry kinda new to really trying to write with a purpose, and it has me a lil distraught, lol. Thanks.
try to work with the cover a little more. what song is it? depending on the genre and the amount of distortion used to play it, you might get them to use some chord substitutions to make th a harmonic minor to work.
Harmonic Minor is a convention used to make the 5th of a minor key major, thereby enabling the creation of a dominant seventh. It is also used to create a leading tone to make the rise to tonic smoother and stronger.

So in that progression, why not just focus on licks that fit over the E? Instead of thinking "crap Am doesn't have this!?" just do lines you'd usually do over an E chord. IE, getting F#, G#, C# and D# involved, even though they aren't in the key of A minor. I have done this plenty of times and to my ears it sounds fine, even though it seems like thats a lot of accidentials.
Quote by shinedown98
Well, im jammin with some people for fun, and they do a cover song where they use a progression of Am, E, C, F, G. I would just improvise the parts in A minor, but that doesnt cover G# in the E, which obv sounds way out of place if used (for me anyhow). That would be the A harmonic minor scale. If i'd just be making lead riffs and some solo'age for it, with pretty good deal of distortion anyhow, should i even bother trying to blend the G# in somehow to accomodate the Emaj chord? Or just use the E and B for around the Emaj? I guess i'm just wondering what intervals of the a minor scale i shouldnt use before or directly after the G#, or a leading tone for the G#, possibly just a G? Sry kinda new to really trying to write with a purpose, and it has me a lil distraught, lol. Thanks.
What? I don't see what your problem is. Just play G# instead of G over the E major chord
just because you know a scale doesn't mean you have to rigidly stick to it. The E is a major chord for a reason - because the g# sound quite cool in the context of the progression, not totally dissonant - but not totally I IV V formulaic. so work with it - maybe play Emajor licks of the g#, maybe even go really 'out there' and actually focus quite heavily on that g# while the e chord rolls in?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I was messing around with this chord prog. because I like it, and I found a pedal point line I tapped out with G# as the pedal and B, C# and E as the other notes. It sounded quite good over that chord... The last note I hit was B, which led into the C chord phrasing I was using quite well..