hey, so a few weeks ago i got my first guitar, now im lookin at upgrading the stock pickups, i just dont know what i want yet ha. i have an ibanez rg2ex1 thru a spider 30 watt amp. i want a pickup for more of a metal tone as i play as i lay dying, in flames etc. the main ones im lookin at are a set of emg 81,85 and the seymour duncan blackouts but i have not heard much about them. but im totally up for recommendations.
my recommendation if you are set on new pickups are to avoid the active pickups with the spider and to stick with a set of passive pickups. but really i think you should be looking at a new amp.
Yeah I agree, go for the new amp, and then if you still aren't pleased after that then you can look at getting new pickups. I realize getting a new amp is expensive, but replacing the pickups will just be trying to sugar coat the amp quality.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i think you should be looking at a new amp.

+10000
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
the EMGs are pretty good, but will sound like sh*t through that amp. Trust me, i used to use the 75w version, and it was decent, but the EMG's were not shining like they should. Look into a new amp. If not, then look into some passives, but even then your going to be looking at a new amp in the future.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
ya i figured the new amp talk would be coming haha, its just hard lookin at amps the only store within 60 miles of me doesnt really have much to offer as much as like tube amps.
Quote by asilaydying88
ya i figured the new amp talk would be coming haha, its just hard lookin at amps the only store within 60 miles of me doesnt really have much to offer as much as like tube amps.

I know what that's like man. (It really sucks) If you do have the extra cash, I guess you could check out musiciansfriend's return policy - I think you can return anything (other than strings, etc, of course) within 30 days as long as you don't screw it up. You could listen to a lot of soundclips, check on here, etc, and go ahead and order a little amp, if you don't like it, send it back. I really don't know what else you can do.
Quote by asilaydying88
ok, whats some good amps in like the 300$ range?

B-52 AT-112: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein