Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9vJZT9sD4

I was kind of nervous about playing for other people (laugh if you want but it's true =[) so I made some mistakes I never really make but hopefully you can get an idea, I'll make another video without the mistakes (if I can) if you guys want me to.

I know you guys have no reason not to, but I'd like to make it clear that I want you to be entirely honest with me. Don't do it in an assholey way, but don't sugarcoat it. SPEAK YOUR MINDS :O

[Sorry for bad video quality, it's all I've got )
There's absolutely no point worrying about how you're getting on after just 2 weeks - wait until 3 months or so when you've gotten comfortable with the guitar.

Don't bother yourself with scales too much just yet either - learn your basic chord shapes and get yourself playing some simply songs to build finger strength, get your hands moving and start developing your sense of right hand rhythm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 19, 2009,
One question - Do you know what key your playing the scale in, and how to play it in different keys? I know this video is for just playing, but i just wanna say that if you don't, when learning a scale, understand the theory behind them. It's not really hard.

Also about the nervousness when playing for other people. Same here. I learn a song pretty decent, try to play it for say my father, i keep screwing up constantly.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Shinami
One question - Do you know what key your playing the scale in, and how to play it in different keys? I know this video is for just playing, but i just wanna say that if you don't, when learning a scale, understand the theory behind them. It's not really hard.

Yea, I do. That's pretty much the first thing I learned after I was showed the scales.
okay you are doing pretty well, might as well mention that you should stop anchoring and pay attention to your right hand muting just before everyone else on here does. also just got to ask why do you do that didgeridoo sounding vibrato all the time? your timing and left hand is looking good tho
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Very good, but isn't it a lot more fun to learn songs?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Very good, but isn't it a lot more fun to learn songs?

I don't have anything besides Stairway to Heaven and (power) chord songs (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Hey Joe, Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, etc, you know, stuff you learn in the first couple of days of playing) up to a clean full speed yet, so I didn't video any of that. I'm working on a lot of songs, though.

[Btw, I didn't just mean the main riffs]
Quote by Eag1e
I don't have anything besides Stairway to Heaven and (power) chord songs (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Hey Joe, Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, etc, you know, stuff you learn in the first couple of days of playing) up to a clean full speed yet, so I didn't video any of that. I'm working on a lot of songs, though.

[Btw, I didn't just mean the main riffs]
Don't worry too much about the 'full speed' bit yet - focus on the 'clean'. Get your playing really clean and accurate, and your hands in synch from the start, and speed will follow by itself.
Quote by zhilla
Don't worry too much about the 'full speed' bit yet - focus on the 'clean'. Get your playing really clean and accurate, and your hands in synch from the start, and speed will follow by itself.

That's what I've been doing. Notice where I said "not to a clean full speed." By that I meant I can play them at full speed, but they're not clean at full speed, and I didn't want to post either a slow clean version or a fast sloppy version. nawmeen?
Quote by Eag1e
That's what I've been doing. Notice where I said "not to a clean full speed." By that I meant I can play them at full speed, but they're not clean at full speed, and I didn't want to post either a slow clean version or a fast sloppy version. nawmeen?
lol no worries - glad to hear you're practicing properly You improve loads quicker that way. From the looks of your vid you're off to a flying start
The technical exercises and songs should serve as a complement of each other. Of course, there are a lot of songs that you can learn and while you learn them, you are also exercising your technique. But in the opposite way, while you're learning technique, you'll be able of playing lots of songs that seem complicated.
Quote by JameelGuitar
The technical exercises and songs should serve as a complement of each other. Of course, there are a lot of songs that you can learn and while you learn them, you are also exercising your technique. But in the opposite way, while you're learning technique, you'll be able of playing lots of songs that seem complicated.

I'm definitely preferring the second a lot more than the first I find it a lot easier and less frustrating/boring to sit down and practice technique exercises at slow tempos than playing songs at quarter/half speed. I'll probably start doing more with songs after two or three months when I'm more comfortable with a guitar but right now I just don't want to. But maybe I just need to be shown some better songs to work on
this guy's gonna be a virtuoso if he chose to learn scales before songs lol after 2 weeks

you put me to shame btw that's about as good as I was after 2 months. damn you and your natural talent
Quote by Eag1e
I'm definitely preferring the second a lot more than the first I find it a lot easier and less frustrating/boring to sit down and practice technique exercises at slow tempos than playing songs at quarter/half speed. I'll probably start doing more with songs after two or three months when I'm more comfortable with a guitar but right now I just don't want to. But maybe I just need to be shown some better songs to work on
Don't forget to practice chords too...
Hey guys, I have a question. Is there any advantage to playing eighth notes at 100 bpm as opposed to quarter notes at 200 bpm, and similar comparisons (like sixteenths at 50 instead of quarter at 200)? Or is it just that there are no metronomes that will go high enough to emulate, say, sixteenths at 160? Or do they just start getting inaccurate at that point? It takes a lot of focus away from the actual playing for me when I have to start thinking about "ok, two notes per beat" or "ok, four notes per beat" instead of just playing a note per beat and that makes it harder for me to practice, but if it's got advantages I'll have to learn to work with it I guess.
Quote by Eag1e
Hey guys, I have a question. Is there any advantage to playing eighth notes at 100 bpm as opposed to quarter notes at 200 bpm, and similar comparisons (like sixteenths at 50 instead of quarter at 200)? Or is it just that there are no metronomes that will go high enough to emulate, say, sixteenths at 160? Or do they just start getting inaccurate at that point? It takes a lot of focus away from the actual playing for me when I have to start thinking about "ok, two notes per beat" or "ok, four notes per beat" instead of just playing a note per beat and that makes it harder for me to practice, but if it's got advantages I'll have to learn to work with it I guess.
Well you pretty much said it...it'll help you learn to subdivide the beat. If it's hard, that's a good thing. Just means you have something to get better at.

Quote by Benjabenja
No.
There are distinct advantages.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Jul 21, 2009,