I have a question for all you guitar gurus out there . So..

I am new to the guitar and have just started getting into it after picked up my grandfathers old acoustic (Coratone?). I restrung the old thing with help from a guitar using neighbor and after only a day or two my newly strung G String Broke. Lucky for me, i had received a birthday gift of $300 to purchase something for my liking a ways back and this seems the perfect opportunity.

I'm thinking about going to the "Guitar Center" a few hours away and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what kind of acoustic guitar I should be looking for and if I'm even going to the right location.

Thanks
Check the sticky thread with "what guitar under $300?". You'll find oodles of suggestions there...
Old guitars generally have the quality of being better made then today's mass-manufactured counterparts. Maybe you should stick with your current guitar, buy some polish and fretboard oil, get some quality strings for $50 rather then shelling out $300 for what you already have.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by thementor
Old guitars generally have the quality of being better made then today's mass-manufactured counterparts. Maybe you should stick with your current guitar, buy some polish and fretboard oil, get some quality strings for $50 rather then shelling out $300 for what you already have.

Rubbish.

OP we have an entire thread dedicated to this. Here you go;

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075&page=1
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Rubbish.

OP we have an entire thread dedicated to this. Here you go;

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075&page=1

Consider this... it's his first guitar. Should he really go spend $300 on equipment before he knows whether or not he will stick with it?

MHO though.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

if he spends like 100 on **** instrument, it wont have any sound to inspire
so go to the sticky and choose
Quote by thementor
Consider this... it's his first guitar. Should he really go spend $300 on equipment before he knows whether or not he will stick with it?

MHO though.

Absolutely. He's obviously had a play around on the old guitar, and getting a quality piece of equipment will help him to no end.

If you enjoy the instrument you're more motivated to learn and will enjoy it more. Regardless of your experience I'd always advocate getting quality equipment before you begin.
I love this conversation, you're inspiring me already.

I understand the concern about sticking with the instrument and very much appreciate it as the investment cost increases. A question I have is, how much of a difference is there between a $100 guitar and a $300-$350 guitar?

I have been looking at the suggestions from the previous thread linked and am greatly obliged. People had many good things to say about the Seagull S6, the Ibanez AW40NT and the Yamaha 730.

Disclaimer to Dumb Question:

Do Yamaha make guitars as well as they make Snowmobiles?
A question I have is, how much of a difference is there between a $100 guitar and a $300-$350 guitar?

difference is almost always very noticeable
less quality - uninspiring sound, often difficult to play and so on.

Do Yamaha make guitars as well as they make Snowmobiles?

as for me, i for some reasons hate yamaha guitars. not to be a d**k, i had bad luck with them a few times. however their keyboards are awesome

i'd go with Seagull S6
consider Takamine GS330S too

when you go to GC, take a guitar player friend to help you
I disagree about the comment regarding Yamaha beginner acoustics. They are absolutely excellent at their range range, probably the best available. The general concensus amongst almost all the experienced playesr on here agrees with me as well. If I had to recommend a beginner guitar to anyone it'd be the Yamaha FG730s.

Also, ingore the Ibanez AW40nt threadstarter. It's rubbish. If you go further on in the thread you'll find out why it gets taken out of the list.
i didnt say that yamaha guitars are like spider amps
i said i just had bad exp. with them, but thats just me
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
I disagree about the comment regarding Yamaha beginner acoustics. They are absolutely excellent at their range range, probably the best available. The general concensus amongst almost all the experienced playesr on here agrees with me as well. If I had to recommend a beginner guitar to anyone it'd be the Yamaha FG730s.

Also, ingore the Ibanez AW40nt threadstarter. It's rubbish. If you go further on in the thread you'll find out why it gets taken out of the list.

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about. Plus his avatar has good ol' Tommy on it so you know he's got it down.

Anyway, here's some tips on shopping:
  • Don't just go to Guitar Center. Seriously. Look around at local guitar shops as well and what they carry. Everyone just mindlessly goes to Guitar Center, but you have to consider they're not the only guys around. Guitar Center may be big, but they don't carry everything. For example, they don't carry Guild or Blueridge guitars, which are great companies that produce great quality guitars that can be pretty low-budget (as in the $300 range).
  • Don't go into a guitar store, ESPECIALLY GUITAR CENTER, and ask what is a good guitar in your price range without first trying out the guitars yourself for a while. You're basically screaming about how much of a newbie you are and the salesperson may attempt to take advantage of you. (It's happened with me at Guitar Center back when I was an ignorant little kiddo. I don't want it happening to anyone else.)
  • Come with a trustworthy, experienced guitarist if you can who will give you advice, but also not pummel you with advice and force you to buy a specific guitar or guitar brand. (TAYLORZ ONLI OMG!!) In the end it's your decision. Also make sure guitarist that's helping you really knows what he's talking about. Don't care how well he plays the intro to Stairway to Heaven or how many girls he gets when he's playing I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Make sure he's a real guitarist, not some phony who's out to get attention with a couple of chords.
  • Research online to see what models look good, then go to a store and try them out. Give each guitar a lot of time unless they really sound like absolute crap when you pick them up. Don't spend too much time with one guitar that you forget to try out the other guitars. Also don't forget that the store carries other models that you didn't look up online, so try those out too!
  • Don't just judge by brands and don't just only look at the Martins and Taylors. Usually Martins and Taylors under $1000 are more expensive than what they're really worth since you're actually paying more for the famous brand name, so I would actually avoid them. For your price range I would be looking at Seagulls (not the bird), Epiphones, Guilds, Takamines, Blueridges, and Yamahas. Of course you're not limited to the ones I recommended, explore around! Oh, and try to avoid Ibanez acoustic guitars. They make great electric guitars, but in the acoustic guitar department they're a bit lacking when compared to their competition.
  • While sound is probably the most important thing about the guitar, don't forget about the status of it as well! Make sure you look all around the guitar, inside and out. Check for any dents, scratches, cracks, etc. You don't want to play the guitar, hear that it sounds good, pay full price for it as if it was new, and then come home realizing there's a gigantic crack in the back of it now do you?
the seagull "the original" s6 is a very nice guitar with a little wider neck than the yamaha fg730s, which is also nice. yes, you can hear the difference between these guitars and a entry level yamaha, mitchell or other starter guitar. if it weren't for neck width, i'd simply recommend the fg730s, but if you play a little, i suggest you start by trying it and the seagull against each other and find out which neck is more comfortable and easier to play. also if $399 is too high for you, you might try the seagull entourage s6 instead of the original s6 if they have it - i haven't seen it much locally but according to seagull it's basically the same materials without the semi gloss finish.

btw, don't let the gc sales person talk you into a mitchell or laguna - they get a higher commission on those. also don't believe everything they tell you, since i've heard reps at one gc near me tell several customers that several laminate top guitars are solid top. find a solid top guitar you love the sound, feel and look of - that's the one to buy
Spad,

In your shoes a few months ago, Tried the Yahama 700, 720, 730 and a Taylor 110.
Bought the Yamaha 730S, not quite as refined a sound as the Taylor but the rosewood body of the 730S was much warmer than the sapele and mahogney bodies of the others mentioned.

I've been very happy with the Yammy!

Play and listen to as many as you can before dropping your cash.

Good luck!
Tons and Tons of Great Comments! I am so glad I joined this forum. You've all been an enormous help. The tips you gave are all valuable things to think about, many of which would easily be looked over initially but could easily be paid for in the end, it seems, by any large distributor. So BIG Thanks.

A few little question I have for you all if you find the time:

How can you tell if a guitar has a solid top?

Is is wise to buy an Acoustic Electric over just an Acoustic / what's the feedback like?

Has anyone been to Elderly Guitars? (There is one in Lansing, MI and I've heard its got even more of a selection than GC which is a bit further of a drive for me in Kalamazoo)
The Yamaha's are absolutely wonderful in the lower price ranges. If I were to start over and buy a beginner guitar, I would get a Yamaha FG7xx series. No question about it. I loved my Art & Lutherie to death, but it was a bit too delicate an instrument for me as a beginner. It sounded pretty good, but the matte finish and cedar top were just not tough enough to take the abuse of a beginner. I did some pretty stupid things, as I'm sure most beginners do.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by patticake

btw, don't let the gc sales person talk you into a mitchell or laguna - they get a higher commission on those.

That's not a very good reason to pass up a guitar.

I've played a few Laguna acoustics that were just great.
oh those art and luthries play mighty fine and sound better
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
alrighty, so i came out with a Seagull s6 from Elderly Guitars in Lansing. It sounds absolutely wonderful and I've been enjoying it new songs on it all the time for about a month now. Thanks so much for all your help guys!
Congrats! Make sure you post some pics/sound clips if you can.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Spadapella
alrighty, so i came out with a Seagull s6 from Elderly Guitars in Lansing. It sounds absolutely wonderful and I've been enjoying it new songs on it all the time for about a month now. Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Good for you! I just ordered an S6 myself and I think they are a killer deal for the price. The important thing is that You like it and are playing it.
Yamaha FG-345
Seagull S6
Epi Les Paul

Oh man congrats dude! The S6 is most definately my favorite sounding guitar under $400.

Enjoy it! Oh, and pics?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The TS gets big bonus points from me for actually following up on a "what guitar should I get" thread. Glad it worked out!