Hey all, I recently bought myself a Stratocaster (replica?) and have been practicing a lot since. I know it's not going to sound good straight off but I feel like I cant even play it. Sometimes when fretting a string...the string does not strum and instead all you hear is the sound of the pick hitting the string. It's hard for my fingers to stretch to play certain chords, and overall it feels like I'm a mile off.

I've been learning how to read Tabs and have picked up the basics, but as I explore some apparently easier songs to play, I just fail miserably. I have no intention of giving up, I will keep practicing until I get it right...but can anyone point me in the right direction? Especially with the string not strumming?
Well, three possibilities with the string not ringing are -

1) You're not pushing the string down hard enough (common for beginners)
2) You're accidentally muting the string with another finger
3) You're pushing on the metal fret rather than inbetween them

And, maybe the action is just god-awful beyond belief.

MuseEdit: Also, work on simple fretting and strumming before chords.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Jul 19, 2009,
Hey-

For trying to learnsome easy songs, try to find some that use only open chords like G, D, E, Am, etc. Love me Do by the Beatles is a great song and a very easy one too.

For your string problem, make sure your finger is on the fret completely, if it's off by a bit you won't get the note to ring out.
Quote by uhhhmmm
Hey-

For trying to learnsome easy songs, try to find some that use only open chords like G, D, E, Am, etc. Love me Do by the Beatles is a great song and a very easy one too.

For your string problem, make sure your finger is on the fret completely, if it's off by a bit you won't get the note to ring out.

What he said
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by uhhhmmm

False. Don't fret notes directly above the metal fret, but a little behind it.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Actually what's happening, is that you don't press the fret enough or at the right position. For example when fretting the 3rd fret you must not put your finger right over the metal piece, but a bit before it (center is good too). See the crappy diagram of your fretboard below:
 1st fr       2nd fr     3rd fr      4th fr      5th fr     6th fr      7th fr      etc....
||          ||          ||          ||          ||          ||          ||          ||
||          ||          ||          ||          ||          ||          ||          ||
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  ^                                          ^
          Put you finger                         Not Here
          exactly here

And don't worry about picking the whole thing up. It's hard at the beggining but you'll get used to it. Practice... alot...
Wait a sec...you mean to tell me I'm meant to be holding down the string ON the metal ridges...and not inbetween them? If so thats probably my problem....I've been pressing the strings wrong :O
No. The metal ridges are frets.

Put your finger to the left of a fret, not on it.

So in between, yes.