I'm upgrading my pedal board to include a flanger, compressor & a boost pedal. I was wondering what is the best running order to put them in. They will all be going strait into the front of the amp, no fx loops etc. I know that the 1st 2 in the chain will be
1. Wah
2. Tuner
After that I have a phaser, delay, chorus, boost/distortion, flanger & compressor (in no particular order). Any help on the best order would be apreciated :0)
i'd go:

tuner-->wah-->compressor-->boost/distortion-->then just play with all your modulation effects and see where you want them-->delay last

really, you just gotta play with everything in a different order and see what you like. your ears are different from ours.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Probably the main thing to understand about effects order is that an effect modifies the sound it receives. This means if you plug your guitar into an overdrive, the overdrive gives you an overdriven guitar sound - pretty obvious, huh? If you then plug the overdrive output into a wah pedal input, then the wah works on the overdriven sound, giving you a synth-like wah sound.

If you plug first into the wah, then into the overdrive, it gives a completely different sound. That's because the overdrive is working on a guitar sound that already has a wah effect. You may know that overdriven effects have more effect on loud sounds than quiet ones (that's why they sound cleaner when you roll off the guitar volume). And a wah pedal makes different notes and frequencies louder and softer as you rock the pedal, so rocking the pedal also now controls the amount of overdrive as well, giving what most players prefer as a more interesting effect.

As for a compresser, it generally is used after the wah and before the overdrive if you want the depth in wah volume, and before the wah if you want your wah volume the same at all times.

All modulation effects should go into the effects loop. If you don't have an effects loop, you can put them in front of the amp too.

Generally, the order of pedals is usually-

Wah-Compresser-OD-Distortion-EQ-Pitch Effects-Phaser-Flanger-Chorus-Delay-Reverb

But really, experimentation is what you need to do. Decide which order sounds best to you.

I hope this helps.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by jc349

Generally, the order of pedals is usually-

Wah/Phaser-Compresser-OD-Distortion-EQ-Pitch Effects-Flanger-Chorus-Delay-Reverb

But really, experimentation is what you need to do. Decide which order sounds best to you.

I hope this helps.

phaser should be with chorus and flanger as a modulation effect
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by rhcp-legends
phaser should be with chorus and flanger as a modulation effect

My bad.... I'll fix it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by rtmilster
i'd go:

tuner-->wah-->compressor-->boost/distortion-->then just play with all your modulation effects and see where you want them-->delay last

really, you just gotta play with everything in a different order and see what you like. your ears are different from ours.

+1
with modulation i would go phaser -> flanger -> chorus
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Some phasers sound better before tube breakup. Phaser can go in front of or after the preamp.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Thanks for the advice everybody. The distortion will probably be the last in line as it's used as a clean boost for solos rather than adding dirt to the sound. I'll play around with them & see what happens, it'll be fun at least!!
Last edited by anguskilminster at Jul 19, 2009,
Another note, all my fx go strait in the front for simplicity & because my amp responds really well to them that way anyway, so I don't see the point of adding 2 extra leads for a very slight difference in sound. The compressor was the puzzle for me having never put one in my fx chain before.
EQ should always come before distortion. It will sound much better if you know how to use it. Try amptone.com for something a bit more in depth.

Quote by anguskilminster
Another note, all my fx go strait in the front for simplicity & because my amp responds really well to them that way anyway, so I don't see the point of adding 2 extra leads for a very slight difference in sound. The compressor was the puzzle for me having never put one in my fx chain before.

It's not a slight difference. Delays will sound much clearer so will modulation FX. The phaser should ideally be placed in front of the amp though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 19, 2009,
If your not using your amp's distortion, how important is an effects loop really? My Marshall Lead 12 doesn't have an effects loop but I'm only using it clean and running fuzz and overdrive pedals in front of it.
You don't need an FX loop for od/distortion/fuzz/compressor and pedals like that. It's not nearly as important if you're not using the amps preamp saturation and if you're using power amp saturation, it's practially useless. Modulation and time fx should just typically be placed after distortion, and that occurs in all stages of a tube amp so ideally, it should be through either a pa when miced up or through a line out. But if you're using a pedal for the majority of your gain, placing it afterwards would typically work out fine.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Is it only for tube amps? Because my amp is solid state, so would it work differently?

I was looking at a Blues Jr., but the lack of an FX loop turned me off. You're saying if I kept it clean and put my effects as Wah --> Gain --> Modulation --> Delay --> Blues Jr., it would sound fine?
A couple of points to clear up. I use my amps distortion exclusively, the distortion pedal is set for 0% distortion but 100% level which gives me a boost for solos on occasion, but which adds very little extra gain, just a volume hike. Also I've tried all my modulation & delay fx through both fx loops & strait in the front, the difference, on my amp at least, is negligable, even though there is a trim pot on the fx loop to boost the line level through the loop as well as a mix pot on the front of the amp. The extra tone flattening of 2 extra 3-4 metre leads is, in my opinion, just unnecessary. Plus, that just gives me something else to trip over!!
Quote by black_waterpark
Is it only for tube amps? Because my amp is solid state, so would it work differently?

I was looking at a Blues Jr., but the lack of an FX loop turned me off. You're saying if I kept it clean and put my effects as Wah --> Gain --> Modulation --> Delay --> Blues Jr., it would sound fine?

Yes, if you don't use the amp's distortion it will sound fine. If you do, the Delay repeats will be considerably louder and muddier and the modulation won't sound as good. A friend uses his DD-7 through an overdriven Blues Jr. and it sounds horrible.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
EQ should always come before distortion. It will sound much better if you know how to use it. Try amptone.com for something a bit more in depth.

That's not true, it all depends what you do with it, I'm using it in my effects loop, and since I started using it this way, it hasn't been off for more than 5 seconds, it just add much more control over your tone, it's my tone's secret weapon. Again, you might wanna use it as a clean boost, in that case it should go in front of the distortion, so it all depends on what you wanna use the EQ for.
black_waterpark, the only think that I've found as a constant is that a wah goes strait in the front of every amp and is the 1st in the chain. I've found from playing around when I 1st got mine that any other placement means it doesn't sound as strong, but this is, again, just my opinion
Quote by Sguit
That's not true, it all depends what you do with it, I'm using it in my effects loop, and since I started using it this way, it hasn't been off for more than 5 seconds, it just add much more control over your tone, it's my tone's secret weapon. Again, you might wanna use it as a clean boost, in that case it should go in front of the distortion, so it all depends on what you wanna use the EQ for.

Well, I guess you could use it that way but IMO the best way is to put it up front to get pre distortion EQ by taking away some highs and lows and boosting the mids then using the amp's EQ for post distortion EQ and slightly scooping the mids. You get a much clearer and tighter distortion sound that way.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT