Well I really want to learn some metal riffs from like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, August burns red... stuff like that. But does anyone have any suggestions for some not SUPER difficult to learn songs?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
My Curse by Killswitch isnt terribly difficult, but all Killswitch songs are in drop C, which is a pain in the ass to do.
most of their songs are realy easy. end of heartache is a great song and its super easy to learn.
Quote by metalh3ad88
My Curse by Killswitch isnt terribly difficult, but all Killswitch songs are in drop C, which is a pain in the ass to do.

first... to put a guitar in drop c is not hard at all...and second just play it in drop d if its that big of a deal.. it will sound the same just one STEP higher

and holy diver... play holy diver
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Last edited by Slovak_Ghost at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
just play it in drop d if its that big of a deal.. it will sound the same just one octave higher

Drop D isn't an octave higher than drop C.... It's not even close.... :/
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
first... to put a guitar in drop c is not hard at all...and second just play it in drop d if its that big of a deal.. it will sound the same just one octave higher

Um, no.

It'll sound a whole step higher, an octave higher than drop C is drop C.

And, honestly, drop C an octave higher is an impossible tuning, unless you have something like .04-.30 strings.
You shall listen to Kamelot.
Last edited by adrianjunger at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
first... to put a guitar in drop c is not hard at all...and second just play it in drop d if its that big of a deal.. it will sound the same just one octave higher

Yes. Though it isn't a Killswitch original persay, it's still amazing to play and fun to rock out too.

To examine the tone of the sphincter? What the hell is it, a tuning fork?
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

I hope you just made a typo because drop d is one step higher than drop c, not one octave. and it does sound fairly different when you play the song in drop d.
not really i find it pretty easy try rose of sharyn
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
All three of the bands you listed play almost exclusively in drop C, so it is worth the time for you to tune to it. If you are super new to tuning low don't be afraid to ask for help here.

As I Lay Dying is a fantastic band to learn with since their albums get progressively more difficult to play, so they will bring you all the way from beginning to intermediate/expert.

Start with songs off the album "Frail Words Collapse" such as Forever, 94 Hours, Elegy, and my favorite; The Beginning.

Then pick up a couple songs off of "Shadows are Security", mainly Through Struggle, though Reflection and Darkest Nights are quite good as well.

Finally, their latest album "An Ocean Between Us" has some intermediate riffs in Nothing Left, Forsaken, and my favorite; The Sound of Truth.

As I Lay Dying aside, I find that August Burns Red is quite difficult to play due to their complicated riffs and layered guitars, it just makes for a confusing and difficult to memorize playing experience. But if you want to play them, I definitely suggest Barbarian because it helps immensely with tremolo picking. Composure is also pretty fun to play, but doesn't really teach you much.

As far as Killswitch Engage goes, My Curse and Rose of Sharyn are your best bet.

This should give you a sizable arsenal of some of the most brutal Metalcore songs ever made, and after all these you will be ready for some All That Remains. Good luck!
Amazing thread mistakes are amazing.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
This site is ****ing gay

Coz you tried to look MEGA cool by saying how easy it was for you to drop tune, and then completely destroyed your credibility by making a stupid mistake?

Yes, this site must be bad if it PERSONALLY ATTACKS YOUR MUSIC KNOWLEDGE
Quote by MossyMan
Coz you tried to look MEGA cool by saying how easy it was for you to drop tune, and then completely destroyed your credibility by making a stupid mistake?

Yes, this site must be bad if it PERSONALLY ATTACKS YOUR MUSIC KNOWLEDGE

hahah yeah because that makes me mega cool
and it is pretty ****ing easy to drop tune a guitar..

its people like you that make this site ****ing horrible

you have 88 posts and chime up about a ****ing typo... jesus **** there are a ton of asshole on here
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Last edited by Slovak_Ghost at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

you have 88 posts and chime up about a ****ing typo... jesus **** there are a ton of asshole on here

maybe you should stop your pathetic bitching and just leave? please???
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

Dude.

Firstly: Noone criticized your mistake, they pointed out that it was a mistake, said they hoped it was a typo, told you the reasons why it was wrong, and noone called you a noob or suggested you should be raped in any manner. So with a little constructive criticism, you call the site ****ing gay. Why? You obviously have some issues with being corrected, so sort them out before getting angry at a WEBSITE. Criticisms of the bad kind came after your childish post.

Secondly: Of course it's easy to drop tune a guitar man, your sarcasm detector must be broke on this occasion

Thirdly: People like me make this site horrible? I'm defending the site against immature people like you who CRITICIZE and try BRING DOWN the site because your mistake is corrected. This guy wanted help, the help you gave was wrong, others corrected it, you threw a tantrum. We all make mistakes, but most of us know how to deal with them.

Fourthly: Yes I do have 88 posts. So? And how nice of you to visit my profile. Next time around let me know before you drop by, I'll stick the kettle on.

Finally: you have 88 posts and chime up about a ****ing typo... jesus **** there are a ton of a**holeS. Just fixing a typo there, I know you won't mind.
Quote by metalh3ad88

All their stuff isn't in Drop C... just their bad stuff.
so all I have gotten from this thread is...

Learn As I lay Dyings earlier then later stuff ( as it progresses )
killswitch's version of Holy Diver ( hard? )
and My Curse?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Quote by MxPxPanic
so all I have gotten from this thread is...

Learn As I lay Dyings earlier then later stuff ( as it progresses )
killswitch's version of Holy Diver ( hard? )
and My Curse?

I think 6StringSlaughtr's post sums it up nicely. Remember that when you have these songs learned, you will have improved to such a level that you can progress to the "harder" riffs of those bands. When you've nailed these songs, come back and ask what's next =P
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zbv3qr

Alright I found a 94 Hours tab and im trying to learn the song.

Except for some reason mine sounds... not the same at all ( im using a horrible set up as far as recording and computer mic goes, so excuse that ) but ... any advice? maybe it sounds the same and im just retarded lol

by As I lay dying btw

ahh I played it three times, first was sloppy, second was in a different mode because... my mic is horrible and third I thought was best
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
This is one of those songs that you have to get synced perfectly before it sounds decent. Start slow (maybe half speed?) and make sure each hammer/pull is ringing clearly, and if any aren't, fix it until they do. Then speed it up, shouldn't take too long, and bam you can play the riff.
Quote by MossyMan
Dude.

Firstly: Noone criticized your mistake, they pointed out that it was a mistake, said they hoped it was a typo, told you the reasons why it was wrong, and noone called you a noob or suggested you should be raped in any manner. So with a little constructive criticism, you call the site ****ing gay. Why? You obviously have some issues with being corrected, so sort them out before getting angry at a WEBSITE. Criticisms of the bad kind came after your childish post.

Secondly: Of course it's easy to drop tune a guitar man, your sarcasm detector must be broke on this occasion

Thirdly: People like me make this site horrible? I'm defending the site against immature people like you who CRITICIZE and try BRING DOWN the site because your mistake is corrected. This guy wanted help, the help you gave was wrong, others corrected it, you threw a tantrum. We all make mistakes, but most of us know how to deal with them.

Fourthly: Yes I do have 88 posts. So? And how nice of you to visit my profile. Next time around let me know before you drop by, I'll stick the kettle on.

Finally: you have 88 posts and chime up about a ****ing typo... jesus **** there are a ton of a**holeS. Just fixing a typo there, I know you won't mind.

being corrected is not an issue.. I don't have a problem with that. Being corrected by 3 people after it has already been brought up is an issue. The attitude of most people around here has been **** lately, its gone from trying to help, to looking for ways to make other people look bad. I wasn't being a dick, said something and suggested a song, but i need to be corrected in a demeaning manor by several people because of this... come on man

and where was this sarcasm.... the kid said, "they play in drop c which is a pain in the ass to tune to" no sarcasm there... this kid apparently felt it was difficult and I was saying it was not.. no trying to be MEGA cool there

and finally, I wasn't trying to CRITICIZE or BRING DOWN the site... just the people like you
Total Failure

Last edited by Slovak_Ghost at Jul 20, 2009,
Hey man, I understand what you're saying about people looking for reasons to argue with people to make themselves look better. It's like everyone thinks there is a contest to be the most knowledgeable person on the Internet so they have to go around bashing everyone, but I think that this whole issue about the tuning has officially been cleared up now.
super difficult is a little subjective, no? just try em. if you think what you're currently trying is too hard try another song that doesn't sound as complex until you find one you can play comfortably and start from there. or you can try one that's slightly out of reach if you like to push yourself... but basically just keep trying a bunch of them until you find one you feel like you can play fairly well.

i mean i'm sure it's obvious you're not going to hit the ground running necessarily, if you can get semi comfy with a song within an hour or 2 i'd say it's about on par with your skill level.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.