I'm looking to buy a decent all valve/tube practice amp from the states for my friend, I'm in the UK and amps are ridiculously expensive here. Anyway, I'm off to NY in August and I've been asked to bring back a nice amp for my friend.

My first thought was that a transformer would be needed to use the amp in the UK, no biggie right? or will it affect the sound? That's my main concern, if it's all good then I'm pretty much sorted
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG560
Epiphone G400
Mesa Boogie Recto-verb
Peavey JSX
Marshall MG50
Shouldn't affect sound, they are more than meets the eye.....

...........................................Sorry I had to....
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
I think you'll need a step-down transformer to use it in the UK?
I believe you'll need one, Not entirely sure, best off waiting for some other boardies to come along.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
It depends on which amp you get. Some higher end amps have a voltage switch in the back so you don't need an outboard transformer, but with most amps you'll need to use a step-down transformer.
Make sure you get one that's rated higher than the INPUT wattage (usually listed on the back of the amp, it's much higher than what it says on the front of the amp). They're not too expensive, and they don't effect the sound much, just a little bit of white noise depending on how good the transformer is.