I'm trying to decide between:
1. DS-1 (maybe modded, maybe not, not sure)
2. a Rat of some sort (not sure which)
3. A Muff of some sort (was looking at the Classic Double Muff)

I play in a classic rock/blues rock band, playing Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, etc. I also play more classical/shred-styled music, like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani. I have a wah, a delay, and a TS, as well as a tube amp. I just want something to add a bit more crunch. If you suggest a Rat or a Muff, can you include which model? Thanks! My budget is $80 at most.

-Bryan
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Modded DS-1.

but i dunno if that is available in your budget..
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
David Gilmour uses (or used) a Rat 2. So I guess it would be great for Floyd. I love mine as it is easy to get pretty much any tone you want out of it. Didn't take me too long to find one that was right for me!
Which amp do you have?

btw, the Keeley modded DS-1s are really good.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I know he used a Rat, but he also used two different Muffs as well. I want to use the pedal for lead tones (probably also running my TS with it) and for heavier stuff like Black Sabbath.

EDIT: Crate Vintage Club 30, with a Vintage 30. It get's a really nice blues crunch, and a lot of head room, which I do need, I just need a heavier sound as well.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jul 19, 2009,
I know you'd need a boost for like steve vai and such but have you played it in the band situation? Because you get a lot more crunchier sound if you do as you can crank it alot more.
A modded DS-1 would be great for you. imo the regular DS-1s are ok, but they are very mod-friendly and sound great when tinkered with.

edit- http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
I do play in a band, but like I said, my amp has a lot of head room. It gets a semi-broken up crunch that sounds great for blues, but we do play heavier stuff every now and then.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by EL2T
David Gilmour uses (or used) a Rat 2. So I guess it would be great for Floyd. I love mine as it is easy to get pretty much any tone you want out of it. Didn't take me too long to find one that was right for me!

David Gilmour never used a Rat... He used a fuzz face in the early stuff and a big muff after that.
Muff for Sabbath, Rat for Gilmour, and a DS-1 could probably work for The Who. Just decide which tone you like more really.
Which one would be best all around?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
I haven't tried a Big Muff but the first one (the triangle version) is supposed to be the best. The BYOC Large Beaver is a clone which is supposed to be exact for only 90$ or 130$ if you want to have it pre-built. There are some demos of it on youtube.
Quote by antoine2055
David Gilmour NEVER used the Rat. He used a muff since 1977 and was still using one on his last tour in 2006.

David Gilmour used a RAT II on the 1988-90 leg of the Momentary Lapse tour and again on the Division Bell tour 1994. The pedal is also seen used on both the sessions for the La Carrera Pan America soundtrack in 1991 and for the Division Bell recording sessions in 1993-94.
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by antoine2055
David Gilmour NEVER used the Rat. He used a muff since 1977 and was still using one on his last tour in 2006. More info for the muff models there : http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=213

it says right on the site that he used a rat in young lust
Quote by theacousticpunk
Which one would be best all around?

i would say the rat
however the newer ones are made in china with less quality so if you can get a used rat from a couple of years ago that would be my tip
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Big Muff. The Russian version is my favorite.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Set up properly, the DS-1 sounds great when boosting the front end of a tube amp lead channel. Absolute MUST for that Vai like, creamy upper/mid sustain tone. As cheap as it is, no other pedal has the character of a DS-1. It responds to my playing VERY well...however...IMHO - sounds like crap as a stand-alone pedal thru a clean channel. Very, VERY thin.
Quote by rhcp-legends
David Gilmour used a RAT II on the 1988-90 leg of the Momentary Lapse tour and again on the Division Bell tour 1994. The pedal is also seen used on both the sessions for the La Carrera Pan America soundtrack in 1991 and for the Division Bell recording sessions in 1993-94.

Oh sorry. I just looked on ww.gilmourish.com and yeah you're right. Looks like there is some new info since last time I went.

Quote by lostjesse
it says right on the site that he used a rat in young lust

On the website gilmourish.com it clearly says Muff and Electric Mistress for Young Lust.
Last edited by antoine2055 at Jul 19, 2009,
Well, I'll be using the pedal to push the crunch farther. That's why I was considering the DS-1 stock. I eq very high and mid heavy, so it may suite me.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by theacousticpunk
Well, I'll be using the pedal to push the crunch farther. That's why I was considering the DS-1 stock. I eq very high and mid heavy, so it may suite me.

I still suggest the Robert Keeley DS1 mod. See the link in my other post. The DS1 mod still retains the original sound, just improves it, gives you more tonal options. Buying a modded one is a good choice if you can't solder (even though its pretty easy to learn)

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
I've got a budget of about $80, and I'm no good at soldering.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120