Any ideas on how to get a Lemmy (Motorhead) style bass tone?
Current Gear...

Fender Mexican Stratocaster

Les Paul Copy w/ Seymour Duncan 59 an JB in bridge and neck respectively (She's a beauty!)

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Jim dunlop crybaby

Electroharmonix Double Muff
Play with a pick near the bridge, and if you have a pickup blender or seperate volumes for either pickup put it to bridge pickup only. He plays his bass very similarly to a rhythm guitar.
What about the distortion?
Current Gear...

Fender Mexican Stratocaster

Les Paul Copy w/ Seymour Duncan 59 an JB in bridge and neck respectively (She's a beauty!)

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Jim dunlop crybaby

Electroharmonix Double Muff
Quote by Steve08
Play with a pick near the bridge, and if you have a pickup blender or seperate volumes for either pickup put it to bridge pickup only. He plays his bass very similarly to a rhythm guitar.

Get a Rickenback then put everything on full. I think Lemmy uses Ampeg amps.

Quote by DC/SG_09
What about the distortion?

Natural overdrive I think.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 19, 2009,
Lemmy uses marshall amps, and he sets the EQ to Treble = 0, Middle = 10, Bass = 0 (for some reason).

He also uses the neck pickup almost exclusively, even though it doesn't sound like it.
He plays with a pick and plays chords often. The distortion is attributed to the natural breakup of a Marshall running on full volume.
Ampeg amps? or not

Lemmy uses his signature marshall super bass 100w head with a 4x10 and a 4x15 cab
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by lorrythebassguy
Ampeg amps? or not

Lemmy uses his signature marshall super bass 100w head with a 4x10 and a 4x15 cab

Not sure where I got that from tbh.

From Wikipedia:

"The phrase "everything louder than everyone else" sums up Lemmy's sonic approach, as he plays at the loudest possible levels. He uses the bridge pickup exclusively (giving his bass sound more definition) and turns all the tone and volume knobs on the bass up full. On the amplifiers, he turns off the bass and treble, and the midrange up all the way, with the volume and presence up to the 3:00 position. The result is a biting mid-range sound which is somewhat distorted but not "fuzzed out" or "blurry", a formula well-suited to his use of open-string drones and power chords. In the 1990s after a Motörhead show at Hultsfred, Sweden a radio reporter asked Lemmy "If you were to play here again in ten years, how do you think you would sound?" Lemmy replied "Same, but louder...""
And don't forget to place your left hand with your index on fret 5 and your ring finger on fret 7. Leave both fingers there for 40 years and.... eureka, you have become Lemmy!
I'm sure you could get close to the distortion with a fuzz box.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
An old Marshall SuperBass will do the job. They're not even that expensive on eBay (last one I saw went for £375), and yeah; you max the mids and lose the bass and treble.
Stick an MXR MicroAmp in before the amp, and you'll nail it.
The first album (On Parole) his Ricky was stock, and he used a Marshall Plexi, so I am led to believe. After that, the Ricky got early T-bird pups, and the '75 SB came on the scene.

Quote by Hammerzeit
Treat it like rhythm guitar. Max everything, pick, play chords and be br00tal. Drink Jack Daniels Exclusivly.

You forgot the whizz and the perpetual Marlboro...
Also, he puts volume and presence knobs at 3 o'clock. I've read that he also solos the neck pickup, but that doesn't... seem right to me. He does indeed use an all-tube amp, so he is getting some natural tube amp distortion here. Get any tube-simulating bass distortion pedal and it'll do. Or hell, at that point, any guitar pedal. Many people use Lemmy's bass rig as a guitar rig - or so I've read.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 20, 2009,
Lemmy himself (in an interview I read) claims that the distortion he gets is not through the high volume per se, it's down to the fast that he has a special treatment for his speakers... he actually sticks a pencil through them. That, he claims (although I wouldn't want to try it myself) is what gives him that 'gruff' sound.
Quote by tinyclaw
Lemmy himself (in an interview I read) claims that the distortion he gets is not through the high volume per se, it's down to the fast that he has a special treatment for his speakers... he actually sticks a pencil through them. That, he claims (although I wouldn't want to try it myself) is what gives him that 'gruff' sound.

thats so br00t4l
8 words: Big Muff Pi Russian...with treble all the way.

Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

I'm not entirely sure but I think he uses Marshall guitar cabs rather than bass cabs to avoid the 'mud'.

I've found that I can get a similar sound using a distortion, guitar amp and clever EQing.